Sponsored by:

Remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-02, 11:03 PM
redtoesblue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start?

I am looking to do a remote start on my rx300 but was told that I cannot use the current key to do it. I would like to get a system where I can start the car up via pressing the unlock key 3 times or just replace the panic with a start option. Is it possible? Help me out.
Old 09-27-02, 03:28 PM
redtoesblue
Driver

Does anyone really give a damn to my questions?
Old 09-27-02, 08:26 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are plenty of alarms out there that can do remote start on your car. There is one that came out this week that is also a 2-way pager. Read about it in the other thread about alarms in the same forum. Also go to a reputable audio shop in your town and talk to them.
Old 09-28-02, 12:13 PM
kobiejohn
Rookie

You can use a dei 551r or 551t. The difference is the 551r comes with one remote. Keep in mind you are going to be limited to you factory keyless entrys range if you go with the 551t. The 551r shoud get you around 200+ feet of range. I would consider a viper 150esp. I think if you have to walk 1/2 the distance to your car before it will start makes it usless.

On the key you just need a black master key and a dei 555f, which will run around 50.00.

The install is going to pretty easy for a expierenced installer, the only tough part is the have to run a couple of wires into the driver door to turn you factory alarm off when starts up. This will unlock the doors and right after it starts they should wire it up to relock. They will only be unlocked for around one second.
Old 09-29-02, 05:10 PM
jays400
Driver School Candidate

kobiejohn,

Are you sure that you can use just the master black key and no remote? I spoke with engineers over at crimestopper and they said that it would not work because once the car is started, I can't use any of the buttons on the master key. Meaning I can use the button on the remote to start the car but I couldn't use the unlock button on the key to unlock the doors and get in. So I gave it a try. I used one key to start the car and then used another master key and tried to lock and unlock the car and it didn't work while the car was running. I wanted to go the route of just the master key to control everything cause I don't like carrying around a remote but I was under the assumption the only way to get the remote start and be able to unlock the doors while the car was running is through a remote. On a side note a transponder bypass kit is needed to make the remote start work because computer doesn't let the car start unless the chip that resides in the key is validated by the onboard management computer to verify the authenticity of the key to try to reduce vehicle theft. You can read about that at http://www.transponderbypass.com/pkt.asp.

Jason

Last edited by jays400; 09-29-02 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 12:38 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

Most factroy systems for import cars/trucks will not work while the car is running. You can obviously lock and unlock with the key. This is another reason to go with a system that comes with a remote. They are going to have to tap into the lock wires anyway to arm/disarm the factory alarm.

The 551t and 551r should be almost the same price. So you gain keyless entry while the car is autostarted and the added benafit of starting distance. If the intaller does not program double pulse ulock you will also maintain the progressive door unlock. No additional programing on a viper 150 or higer unit, on the 551r they would have to program button 1 to lock the doors, 2 to be the unlock the doors and both togather to start.

You are correct you will need a interface for the chip in the head of the key. I have both the pkt (from www.transponderbypass.com) and the dei 555f. The pkt is hardwired into the cars wiring where as the 555f is simply placed next to the key cyclinder and both are activated by the autostart. I have a pkt and a beta viper 790vx in my gs right now and its worked perfectly for about 15 months now(pkt). For me the 555f is harder to program for some reason, but it still works fine once programmed.
Old 10-01-02, 11:03 PM
redtoesblue
Driver

So are you using your original factory lexus key with your remote start? or have you gotten another unit?
Old 10-02-02, 11:30 AM
kobiejohn
Rookie

I dont fully understand your question. I am not using the factory key to trigger the autostart. The viper 790vx comes with one remote which I use to autostart, lock & unlock the doors and pop the trunk. Once started I still need the key to drive away. The factory remote still works - just not while the car is running.
Old 10-24-02, 09:06 AM
LEXBERG
Pole Position

how much??? for the remote statr????