Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

For anyone with aftermarket subwoofers in their 2nd gen GS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 07:09 PM
tn96dc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's good info, I already have a yellow top installed.. I'll upgrade my grounds and see if that will help... either that or just simply add some more.. you can never have too much ground :P
Old 09-27-11, 12:28 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
i'd upgrade the ground(4awg) from the engine block to chassis, also front battery gound to chassis as well as the ground to the amp (making sure to grind down to metal) then id swap the oem battery to an optima 1000cca red top battery..that should eliminate any voltage issues (assuming your alternator functions properly)

the optima has a low internal resistance which puts less strain on the alternator to recharge it as well as being able to back up the alternator when its output is surpassed..

as for system replenishment i agree totally as a rule of thumb every 30 mins of hard sustained play allow 10mins recharge time b4 shutting down the engine ( w optima batts.. if your using other batts go 50/50 ratio)
Optima batteries have also gone downhill in the last few years plus I don't remember them making a 1000cca redtop. The redtop is the only battery I'd use from Optima. I've seen so many yellowtops go bad it's not even funny. My favorite batery brands are:

Stinger
Oddessy
Deka Intiminator
XS Power
Old 09-27-11, 04:38 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by oslouie
Optima batteries have also gone downhill in the last few years plus I don't remember them making a 1000cca redtop. The redtop is the only battery I'd use from Optima. I've seen so many yellowtops go bad it's not even funny. My favorite batery brands are:

Stinger
Oddessy
Deka Intiminator
XS Power
yellow tops are good batteries but because its technically a deep cycle battery it takes a lot longer to recharge versus the red top which is a starting batt(they do make yellow starting batts but they are still deep cycle) designed to give large bursts of power over a short period of time (jus like bass notes tend to draw from electrical systems)

my mistake its a 1000ca, 800cca battery but still better for car audio use. unless u plan to sit in parking lot blasting music w your engine off..
Attached Thumbnails For anyone with aftermarket subwoofers in their 2nd gen GS!-p0003_270911.jpg  
Old 09-27-11, 04:50 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

also the yellows go bad because they are deep cycle an being such they take a lot longer to recharge. since most people dont properly recharge them.. instead just jump outta the car after booming around town... jump back in an boom some more...

if your using yellow tops.. allow just as much time to recharge as u do playing music at loud volumes...
Old 10-03-11, 01:35 PM
tn96dc
Pole Position

so you're saying I'm better off with a red top? :/
Old 10-05-11, 07:16 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tn96dc
Personally, I'd rather have a Superstart battery with the yellow top from Oreilly Auto Parts. It's priced cheaper than a redtop, performs better than a yellowtop, and has the same warranty a yellowtop has plus it's an AGM battery which means it's better in every way. I'm big into car audio and trust me when I say this; yellowtops have gone downhill. They used to be awesome batteries up until a few years ago their quality has gone down the toilet. Buy that Oreilly battery. You won't regret it.
Old 10-06-11, 09:08 PM
tn96dc
Pole Position

Superstart you say? We don't have any Oreilly's around here, yet. I'll look into it more and see where I can get one though.
Old 10-08-11, 06:48 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tn96dc
optima red top 100% of the time.... cant lose..
Old 10-08-11, 06:50 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

other batt companies added color to they're(ie red & yellow) batteries after optima cornered the battery market... id send someone to buy a red top batt an they'd come back w/some crap battery w/a red top...lol imitation is the best form of flattery...
Old 10-10-11, 12:02 PM
EllisD
Driver School Candidate

I've been wanting to remove the stock sub in my GS300 for a while know, thinking that it would create an easy opening for the bass to transfer from my aftermarket sub in the trunk into the cabin. I finally had enough time and patience yesterday to take a stab at it, and about 3 hours of wrenching around in the dark, I successfully removed the stock sub and put everything back together. I then point my boxed sub upwards towards the open hole, and it seems as if the bass is a lot more pronounced in the cabin than it was before.

All in all, I'd say go for it. At the very least, you are removing some un-necessary weight
Old 10-10-11, 12:28 PM
AndyWSU
Driver School Candidate

Do any of you have the problem where your aftermarket headunit turns off once u turn it up to loud?
Old 10-10-11, 07:53 PM
oslouie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
other batt companies added color to they're(ie red & yellow) batteries after optima cornered the battery market... id send someone to buy a red top batt an they'd come back w/some crap battery w/a red top...lol imitation is the best form of flattery...
You obviously have never tested the mentioned batteries side by side. Go ahead and explain why Optima is closing down some of their manufacturing plants? This is a fact because I know someone who works for them. There are better options out there. Do your homework. Optima is overpriced crap. Look for yourself:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/specs.php

The highest ah rating is 55, not enough for high powered systems. Buy a Redtop for starting. Stay away from Yellowtops. I'd buy a Shuriken or even Interstate DCM0100 before buying a Yellowtop.

Oh, and your statement about a Yellowtop being a Deep Cycle battery and that's why it takes longer to recharge is not true. The lower the internal resistance, the faster is recovers.
Old 10-10-11, 08:09 PM
tn96dc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EllisD
I've been wanting to remove the stock sub in my GS300 for a while know, thinking that it would create an easy opening for the bass to transfer from my aftermarket sub in the trunk into the cabin. I finally had enough time and patience yesterday to take a stab at it, and about 3 hours of wrenching around in the dark, I successfully removed the stock sub and put everything back together. I then point my boxed sub upwards towards the open hole, and it seems as if the bass is a lot more pronounced in the cabin than it was before.

All in all, I'd say go for it. At the very least, you are removing some un-necessary weight
good info
Old 10-13-11, 09:23 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oslouie
You obviously have never tested the mentioned batteries side by side. Go ahead and explain why Optima is closing down some of their manufacturing plants? This is a fact because I know someone who works for them. There are better options out there. Do your homework. Optima is overpriced crap. Look for yourself:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/specs.php

The highest ah rating is 55, not enough for high powered systems. Buy a Redtop for starting. Stay away from Yellowtops. I'd buy a Shuriken or even Interstate DCM0100 before buying a Yellowtop.

Oh, and your statement about a Yellowtop being a Deep Cycle battery and that's why it takes longer to recharge is not true. The lower the internal resistance, the faster is recovers.
again why a little knowledge is a dangerous thing... (1st i rec RED TOPS not yellow) yellows are deep cycle...

55ah is 55amp hour which is the constant output the batt can handle in 1 hr..(boats rv's etc).so ru planning on parkin in a lot an blasting music for an hr. or... driving ur car an using the battery as a back up to the alternator..
deep cycle batts are designed to run down then trickle charge back up.. u can rapid charge them as the specs say but u shorten the life of the batt..(which is why yellows fail soooo often). reds can be cycled thru a given range repeatedly.. (14.4-11.5) which is normal range of music while the engine runs..

true i've never used O'reilys but theres no need to experiment.. after 23yrs of installing. reds fail the least and last the longest.imho.. as far as optima closing plants etc... unless ur in a bubble "we are in a recession" despite news to the contrary..

big systems(4 or more subs) are becoming a thing of the past.. more people go w smaller more efficient systems or class d amps which draw less amperage to achieve high power levels.. also most people nowadays aren't goin to spend $180 on a battery unless they absolutely have to...

1 last thing.."CRAP" in a world where companies sold golf cart,motorcycle an lawn mower batts as "stereo" batteries(mid 90's til present) optima's Spiral tech literally changed the way batts are designed.. low internal resistance high cranking amps.. awesome.. sorry for not reading every spec on every cheap knock off.. but i live in the real world.. an in real world applications they are almost unbeatable.. to which i have (at least) 1 in each of my cars.... when my neighbors (all of them) have dead batts.. they come to my house for a jump..lol

ask yourself this if optima is soooo terrible why did O'reily make a battery w a yellow top???????? were they out of green (from all the envy) sorry couldn't resist..

its only good business copy the best.. why does the new explorer look like a range rover? or the (hate myself for saying it) Equus look like the Ls??

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...pecs/34_78.pdf

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi...ecs/D34_78.pdf
Attached Thumbnails For anyone with aftermarket subwoofers in their 2nd gen GS!-optima-batts-2.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 10-18-11, 01:56 PM
jamodeo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What about just adding a 2 farad capacitor??? I saw major improvements in my ES300 and in my GS400 when I added the capacitor. No more light dim, plus they are (relatively as opposed to changing battery and alternator) cheap and easy to install. Check this one out, I don't know how good the brand is but I had this brand and never had issues with it. http://www.amazon.com/Tsunami-2-Fara.../dp/B0006Z9K5A

-Joe

Quick Reply: For anyone with aftermarket subwoofers in their 2nd gen GS!