XM Radio Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-02, 08:29 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb XM Radio Revisited

Hello Everyone,

Searching back in the forum, there has been a little discussion on adding an XM Radio into the SC430. I am considering using the removable/dockable Sony unit (DRN-XM01R2) with an FM Modulator, and building that into the ashtray slot. Has anybody else done this, and could you share pictures, tips, etc? Additionally, does anybody have a shop manual for the SC that outlines the disassembly procedures for the front console around the ashtray?

Thanks!
Kevin
Old 10-03-02, 09:17 PM
fulmitz
Driver

When I was shopping for my SC I saw one in the lot that was just serviced and parked waiting for the owner to pick up. The ash tray was open and he had some component in there. I don't know if it was a radar unit, an MP3 player or XM Radio but people put stuff in there to replace the ash tray.

Fulmitz
Old 10-04-02, 02:27 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, ashtray is a good spot for something like that, probably not a radar unless it was a K40 with the antennas in the bumbers, not a good place to put a radar otherwise. XM radio sounds pretty cool, but im so close to NYC that I get so many radio stations already and if its one thing I have noticed no matter whether its satellite radio or tv, there is never anything good on. The MP3 is a much better idea though as I have literally hundreds of songs on my computer, R.I.P. Napster!!!
Old 10-13-02, 11:59 AM
fulmitz
Driver

Actually when I picked up my SC430 from 1000 miles service and scratch removal, it turns out the SC with that I thought had XM radio, did have XM radio and it belongs to one of the salesmen. He gave me the lowdown. It is a pioneer unit. It sits in the ashtray compartment. He says the sound is PHENOMENAL compared to FM radio. It's $10/month. He has the antenna in the rear window on the ledge of the boot cover with the rest of the components under the back seat so they take up no trunk room. The XM cost him $200.

Hope this helps,

Fulmitz
Old 10-30-02, 11:15 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Noticed no one has discussed this topic lately and wanted to update you on a possible XM solution.

I went to Best Buy to inquire about having the Sony installed in the ashtray. The installation guys said there was no way they would touch the Levinson system and suggested I try the Delphi Sky-Fi plug-and-play. I did, and it's great!

It has two attachments... a power plug for the cigarette lighter and a cartridge for the cassette deck. It also has a long set of wires for the antenna, which is pretty small and fastens magnetically to metal (won't work on the aluminum roof).

I have the radio in the lower console, plugged into the power outlet. The cartridge is plugged into the cassette player, so this is the only wire you can see. The wires for the antenna run down and under the passenger side of the console, under the rear seats (completely hidden) and out through the trunk. I attached the antenna to the driver's side rear fender. Very little wire shows and the antenna is innocuous.

The system sounds great, especially with the Levinson! I would highly recommend this. You don't lose your ashtray, you don't run the risk of messing up your audio system, and you can take the whole system out of the car and transfer it to your home stereo. Until Lexus starts installing XM radios, this is it for me.
Old 10-31-02, 03:38 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up XM Followup

Hi All,

I wasn't sure if there was any interest in this, but I finished my XM experiment last weekend, and couldn't be happier. I used the new Sony unit (Sony DRN-XM01C2), scrapped the cassette tape adapter, and installed a Jensen FM Modulator. It took a little bit of plastic fabrication, and a lot of patience, but it turned out really well. Attached are a few pics for those interested.

Thanks!
Kevin
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Revisited-image002.jpg  
Old 10-31-02, 03:40 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

Here is a closeup of the Sony unit. You will notice the switch on the left side of the receiver. This controls the FM Modulator, so that when I am not using XM, I can still receive all of the standard AM and FM stations.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Revisited-image005.jpg  
Old 10-31-02, 03:46 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

When the unit is not in use, I can pull out the Sony XM tuner, and slide the cradle into a storage position. I mounted the plastic cradle which has all of the connectors for the radio (antenna, power, analog audio out) on a brass slider so it can move about 1.5" or so.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Revisited-image006.jpg  
Old 10-31-02, 03:50 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

Lastly, I placed the antenna on the inside of the vehicle on the rear cover under the back window. My reception is excellent. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Revisited-image001.jpg  
Old 10-31-02, 05:34 PM
Phu
Pole Position

kpura, Nice install. How did you run the antenna wire to the unit? Any drilling on the rear cover? Thanks in advance
Old 11-01-02, 03:37 PM
kpura
Driver School Candidate

Actually the Sony antenna that I used has an adhesive backing. So far it has held up well, so I haven't done any drilling. As far as the wire, I tucked it into the back seat, and pushed it underneath the back trim panel which contains the right rear speaker. From there I pulled off the passenger side door trim/kick panel (with the gold lighted Lexus logo) and ran it up to the passenger footwell. Finally, I ran across from the passenger compartment, straight into the center console. The SC430 uses a one piece carpet flooring that has the padding and plastic backing attached as one unit which gives the floor rigidity, and is why there is one piece of carpet for both the floor and carpeted sides. To get across this, I just used a coat hanger to pull the wires through.
Old 11-01-02, 04:55 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on where you are in the country relative to the XM satellites ('Rock' and 'Roll'), mounting the antenna inside the car can yield blind spots in some orientations. You may or may not notice it. Some will have more muting occurring 'randomly'.
Watch out for mounting the antenna inside the car if you have metallized/aluminized window tinting - it will kill your reception.

For those of you reading this, the Sony XM unit pictured has a small fan built into it, which is totally obnoxious for any audiophiles. I've tested with this unit extensively, so I'm speaking from experience. Not to knock kpura's installation, it's great if you're happy with it. Sony also has a stand alone XM tuner box with RCA outs that'll work with XM-ready Sony headunits.

Yes, XM and Sirius are much better than FM, and even better going direct without the modulator.
Old 11-02-02, 12:36 AM
Cleeve
Driver School Candidate

Default XM input installed inside factory radio

This info is for those people that wish to have XM introduced directly into the head unit. We have been modifing the factory radios for XM input in Mercedes, lexus, Bmw and more. It allows the signal to go into the factory stock unit and allow a direct connection into the control circuit so that you will get the pure signal that is missing via FM modulation. We modify the radios here at our shop and the modification will not keep the factory radio from working normally should the XM tuner and controller be removed from it. We have many satisfied customers that know and appreciate good sound and get it. If anyone is interested in this procedure being done to their radio please contact me through my Web site at: www.lajollaaudiorepair.com
The Pioneer control head for XM fits much easier in the ash tray than alot of cutting to fit the sony. Also, you will not have a wire hanging out of the front of your radio with our modification. It would switch over to XM automatically when the XM controller is turned on and when XM controller is turned off the head unit would then be back to stock allowing you to then play your radio/cass/cd as normally.

Cleeve Morrison
La Jolla Audio Repair
Old 12-16-02, 11:16 AM
Robbo
Rookie

Default XM Receivers

I've decided I'm getting XM for my SC430-- now the question is which unit?

The Pioneer and Alpine's should fit nicely in the ash tray, but the new Delphi Sky-Fi ( www.xmradio.com/skyfi/ ) looks like its a better unit-- better display, better user interface, portability to the wifes car and the new Boombox that's been announced ( Delphi Boombox ) and there are some pretty good deals floating around on it.

Problem is, of course, it will not fit in the ash tray-- so any thoughts on where to mount this that won't look terrible? I know it can also be mounted on a cell phone mount-- Where have you guys mounted cell phones in the car that look OK?
Old 12-16-02, 12:32 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not recommending XM over Sirius at this point, but the Delphi unit definitely has a more informational display where you can see channel, title, and artist all at the same time (how novel... ). The Alpine controller is the most solid of the bunch, but in this case that's not saying much. I have a problem buying any GM products, and I'll bet most people here do as well, which is why we own Lexuses to begin with.

Quick Reply: XM Radio Revisited