Sponsored by:

Those of you with Yellow top batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-02, 03:29 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you with Yellow top batteries

Ok, TOday i just got a new yellow top battery in my car. I have this problem My 2 wires BARELY reach the terminal because on the yellow top the posts are closer to the front of the battery while my stock battery posts were towards the back. Is there a place i can take my car to to replace and upgrade my 2 wires 1 from the fuse box and 1 from the alternator to better wire and a little longer?? when i say barely i mean i have to pull the wires towards the post and hold it there while i put the screw on. i have a feeling it will fall off after a while.
Old 10-11-02, 03:50 AM
diamondgs4
Driver

Cool The best way or better way

The original battery has to go first !
Then the yellow top battery is seating low
(you got extra length to compensate the pole post location)
You do not want a booster because it might unstable.
I used a insulator block and set it on top to fill-in the fixture
bar. Your wire should be in an acceptacle location.
Tape any exposed cable wire with electrical taping.

Joel
Old 10-11-02, 03:53 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would find a decent stereo shop that can upgrade and change out the old shorter wires for you. Most stereo shops should be able to handle this type of job no problem. They do it all the time when upgrading stereo systems....it would save you major $$$ instead of going to the dealer.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 10-11-02 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-11-02, 03:59 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

thanks guys. around how much would this run for. i'm in the LA/OC area. any recomendation.

As for the yellow top sitting lower. yes it is. I didn't use anything to boost it up so the bar would hold it in place. i just took the bar out and bent it a little and stock a big fat nut on the inner screw to use it as a washer and it holds down nice and strong. but my wires are still very short.
Old 10-11-02, 04:04 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

hey LXOGOOD. i was just looking through your picture and i remember meeting you at the carson meet. I don't know if you remember me or now we only talked for like 1 min. i asked your girl that was sitting in the car what brand name your speakers were and she said boston something. and she called you over and you answered my question.

Hey where did you get your battery posts and how much. also who upgraded your ground wires and everything. i want that done to my car.
Old 10-11-02, 04:21 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

john, goto audio options. they're in torrance.
Old 10-11-02, 04:41 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

you know what street and what street or whats its near?? johnny still no luck with my tool or the reflector huh?? if you ever do another lexus save me the 2 reflector PLEASE
Old 10-11-02, 09:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Jmai,

Had the same problem with my yellow top. What I did was stop by an auto parts store and get one of the plastic base plates that comes with many batteries as they're shipped (about 1/4 inch). Advance Auto just gave me one at no charge. The plate is exactly the right size and shape and is just big enough to give the battery a little boost to get it up a little. It still takes a little muscle to make the positive battery wire fit over the post, but it will go on fully.

I initially had the same concern DiamondGS4 mentioned above regarding stability by using a platform underneath, but with the base plate I got there is enough lip left on the tray to keep it stable PLUS I could use the OEM battery fastener on top to keep it very secure. It's going absolutely nowhere. Free, secure and uses stock hardware - I'm a fan of the way it turned out.

Couple of pictures below.

Attached Thumbnails Those of you with Yellow top batteries-second-pic.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-11-02 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-11-02, 10:50 AM
Lvangundy

Audio options is on Normandie, in between Torrance Blvd and 190th st.

The few times I've been there, I've seen crazy expensive cars there being fixed up, but have never bought anything becuase of their prices. I'm VERY positive that the work they do is of excellent quality, but it's simply out of my budget range. Another mention on them is that those times I've been there, the guys I talked to are kinda, chumpy..they have a little* attitude.

Another great option is to get in contact with Todd @ TMengineering (310) 537-6800.

Jmai - do you remember that cxrazy fixed up X5 they had at the Carson meet? That was a product of Todd's shop. I think he's busy alot of the time, might want to give him a call first. His CL s/n is doublewhoosh.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 10-11-02 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-11-02, 02:56 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i remember that X5. That car was sweet. There is actually a pic of me sitting in the back seat of that car. LOL. i saw it on a fourm. hey where is Todd located?? thanks for all your reply guys
Old 10-12-02, 12:42 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jmai22: Hey bro, yes I do remember you. The door speakers that I have are the 6.5" Boston Accoustic Pro series. Even after a year of abuse, they still sound very good and the tweeters are still very bright. I would take your car to www.mobilefantasy.com to have them do your wiring. However, DAVEGS4 seems to have come up with a much better idea for your battery without spending money. All my accessories were through Mobile Fantasy.

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 10-12-02 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-12-02, 12:56 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

LXOGOOD. Thanks for the link. my problem isn't that the battery is not high enough. i got that problem fix by just bending the bar a little. my main problem right now is the wires are too short. due to the different location of the post on the battery. i'll give mobilefantasy a call. Thanks again bro
Old 10-12-02, 10:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,325 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Jmai,

So your battery posts aren't in the same location as those pictured on mine above or in LXOGOODs (I linked in a pic of his below from the gallery)? Which battery model did you get?

One thing I didn't mention that might help as well - the positive cable has a guide clip from the factory that secured it to the firewall. Pried that off when I installed mine.

LXOGOOD - man I love those terminals, got to get a set myself!
Old 10-12-02, 01:55 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

hehehehe. ok yeah forgot i should post this in the first gen forum but you guys get a lil bit more traffic and i need help asap thats why.

The battery on the first gen is at the front left of the car(driver headlight corner). the posts on the original battery were more towards the back of the car. but now with the yellow top the posts are more towards the front of the car.
Old 10-13-02, 06:43 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much are the yellowtop? Is there a specific one I need for an SC400?

Quick Reply: Those of you with Yellow top batteries