Sponsored by:

radio knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-05, 08:43 PM
BlueSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed volume ****

i've driven my lexus for years now.. but was finally brave enough to disassemble everything to fix the annoying volume issue. i have common sense in doing these kind of things.. but in no way am i a great car person.. still, i was able to do it by following the directions i found at this forum and at other lexus websites.

taking apart the center console wasn't too bad. i used a small screwdriver to lightly lift up the cupholder and center console from its latches. i found the harder part to be taking apart the volume **** unit itself.

i read the other posts.. but didn't really know what the volume unit was like. i didn't realize i would need a tiny tiny screwdriver to take the whole unit apart (so for future reference, anyone trying this should have one handy). after i unscrewed the circuit, i opened up the little metal hooks that held the sensors together. after all that work, i finally saw the contacts and what needed to be cleaned. using fine grit sandpaper and contact cleaner that i bought from radio shack, i was able to clean the unit. i carefully put it back together.. and now it works great.

the volume turns off when the **** is all the way down.. and the volume doesn't spike up when i turn it down quickly. thanks all for the previous posts. they all helped a lot.

btw.. i took pictures of the small unit that needs to be cleaned.. if anyone requests it.. i'll try to link the pictures on this forum.
Old 08-06-06, 03:40 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

I apologize in advance for brings this post from the dead.

I just tried to fix my radio ****, but broke the circuit board because I failed to see one of the screws holding it in. The circuit board broke into three pieces. I pieced it back together and reassembled the unit. Now when I turn on the radio the volume is up all the way and can't be turned down. The A/C is also stuck on 75, and can't be adjusted it.

Does anyone have a Radio and A/C control for sale?

Mousiee
Old 08-06-06, 04:18 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Might want to specify year and model car you have.
Old 08-06-06, 04:51 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
Might want to specify year and model car you have.
My bad.
95 SC 400
Old 10-18-07, 04:20 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

I’ve torn down my volume **** to what I believe are the parts that need to be sanded/cleaned. Can somebody here tell me if I need to sand the round black part of the volume control? The pad I guess you might call it. It’s depicted in the following high rez photo:

I’m assuming that I should be sanding the points of the top of the volume **** as well? The copper points in this photo:

I’ve sanded on these a bit and sprayed them with some Radio Shack contact cleaner/lubricant and I’m still not getting proper volume control. It acts like it’s having an effect, but it’s not fixing it yet.
Old 10-19-07, 12:50 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Ah, the fix worked for me finally! Thanks for this info guys!

I believe that I had too much of the ‘lubrication’ from the contact cleaner left on the ****. I let it dry overnight and wiped it down and it worked.