Sponsored by:

radio knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-02, 12:50 PM
Shines34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio ****

Hey i tried a search but didnt come up with anything helpful. My radio volume **** in my 93 sc400 nak is choppy when i turn it. The volume doesnt raise or lower smoothly and when i turn it down quickly it will spike real loud then turn down. Can i remove the **** and see if its loose or something or should i just bear with it. Thanks for reading.
Old 10-11-02, 01:22 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a same problem as you are.
I'd like to get some info on this as well.
Old 10-11-02, 02:24 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure what you mean b y choppy.
Only one thing Id suggest.....the radio and temp. ***** although the same....are not interchangable. If you had both ***** off and accidentally switched them maybe thats it. Try pulling the ***** off....pull forward, and switching them, and see if that fixes it.
Old 10-11-02, 02:42 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the switch, email me if interested.

Thanks.

Gazi
gazi_ali@hotmail.com
Old 10-11-02, 06:06 PM
messysc
Driver

I have the same problem with mine, also, if I have the volume all the way down I can still faintly hear the radio.
Old 10-11-02, 06:09 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Take the radio out
Old 10-11-02, 06:19 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is kind of out of topic, but I replaced the stock with an aftermarket and I have that **** sitting there doing nothing. Is there a way I can use the **** for some other purpose?
Old 10-11-02, 06:38 PM
Shines34
Driver School Candidate

messysc i also have the same thing with the volume being turned all the way down and being able to hear it, actually quite well maybe its supposed to be this way?
Old 10-14-02, 01:58 AM
asfaltsurfer1
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with mine about two years ago and it was an easy fix. I removed the volume **** and disassembled it very carefully! Once apart you will see that the contacts are dirty and discolored. Next I LIGHTLY sanded the contacts with 1200 grit sand paper, again I stress LIGHTLY more like a slight rub. Then I used denatured alcohol on a rag to clean the contacts, WAL LA! it worked. Don't use the alcohol in your medicine cabinet, it usually contains water which we know is never good for electronics. Denatured alcohol can be found at most hardware stores for about $6 a gallon. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Old 10-19-02, 05:08 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I was thinking about this post today.....as when my volume is down you shouldnt hear anything.
My question is do you people have aftermarket head units in? If so...it likely is running 2 amps....the stock Lexus one and the one in the headunit....my BMW has a amp stock too...and when I put an aftermarket head unit in I had the same problems....I could still hear radio when turned all the way down and the volume was spikey.
I found out that the sound was being amplified way too much (very bad for speakers obviously). I needed to buy an adapter from Crutchfield...cost me $50....and basically I had to wire the pos. and neg. wires from each speaker into this thing.....and it as a resuly bypassed the stock amp so they only ran off the amplifier in the head unit and my problems were solved.
So Im thinking either you people have aftermarket head units or maybe put on an aftermarket amp and forgot you had a stock amp already in the car-so you are running off 2 amps and if you turn it loud enough it will blow your speakers so Id fix that ASAP.
Old 10-19-02, 07:18 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed my little stock amp and replaced it with an aftermarket one.
Old 03-14-03, 09:29 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but my '95 SC400 is having the same problems as the person who started this thread. What was the final verdict on how to cure this problem? I do not have anything other than the factory Nakamichi Audio system in my car. There's no aftermarket funny stuff in it a all. Can you please tell me what you all did to cure this annoying problem?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-03, 09:46 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Replace the ****.

MW
Old 03-14-03, 09:56 PM
SCLEX
Pole Position

As asfaltsurfer1 said, just clean the **** and the problem will go away. I did have the same problem, and my friend cleaned it for me, not sure how he did it, but ill ask him tomorrow. Tthe contacts were just dirty and he used some sort of cleaner as you would on any type of electrical conductor, i.e. on a computer. It works great now, and the sound smoothly decreases and increases as it should, and no sound is heard when it is all the way down. You don't need a new ****, just clean it.
-Richard
Old 03-14-03, 10:05 PM
asfaltsurfer1
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by asfaltsurfer1
I had the same problem with mine about two years ago and it was an easy fix. I removed the volume **** and disassembled it very carefully! Once apart you will see that the contacts are dirty and discolored. Next I LIGHTLY sanded the contacts with 1200 grit sand paper, again I stress LIGHTLY more like a slight rub. Then I used denatured alcohol on a rag to clean the contacts, WAL LA! it worked. Don't use the alcohol in your medicine cabinet, it usually contains water which we know is never good for electronics. Denatured alcohol can be found at most hardware stores for about $6 a gallon. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Tust me it works, and yes a good electronics contact cleaner can be used instead of denatured alcohol.

Quick Reply: radio knob