Sponsored by:

LS430 radio question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 01:21 PM
03Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 radio question

Hi Guys. This is my first post so im a noob here. I have an 03 LS430 with the standard pioneer radio (no nav). My HU part number is P6811. I wanted to upgrade it to either (or both) satellite radio and/or ipod adapter. Doing some research, I found a mint condition 05 radio (P6836) that has the am/sat button to add sat radio. I bought it for a reasonable price (came out of a car with 35K, and shows it). I installed it this morning and everything was great. That was until I realized I lost my steering wheel controls, which I use religiously . Each radio head has two connectors. The main one (one left) is the same on both. The smaller one next to it is different on both radios. My male harness from my car would not interface with the 05 radio. Im assuming thats where the steering wheel controls come in. I put my old one back in and left that smaller harness unplugged. Sure enough, no steering wheel control. It worked as soon as I plugged it in.

Now my thoughts are what should I do? The reason I upgraded was most manufacturers of these devices show 04-06 radios as compatible (because they use sat radio for emulation I guess, plus it will show text). Should I sent the 05 radio back (or sell) or is there someone who can give me a pinout diagram of both radios and I can try to interface it? Or will it just not work?

This is very frustrating. I dont want to use my tape adapter with my ipod anymore! It just looks out of place in a car like this.

Can anyone offer some advice? I hope I posted this in the proper forum. Thanks to anyone that can help.

p.s. The new radio worked perfect all with the exception of steering wheel controls. The second male harness for my radio only had two wires in it. But there was room for many more, fwiw.