Sponsored by:

Head Unit Install Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-11, 12:38 PM
WMGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Unit Install Confusion

Hey I'm planning on getting a new head unit soon and I have a lot of questions. I have removed the factory radio before and I have taken off the glove box to look at the amp before.
-My plan is to get a new amp for the factory sub. Will the factory sub work with an aftermarket amp?
-Also, is there any way to have the rest of the speakers be powered by the factory amp? Or will I have to have the head unit power them?
-On the amp I know that the orange plug is for the CD changer but what is the black plug for?
-In the picture of the two cords, the one on the left is the power cord, but what is the one on the left?
-When I bought the car there was what appeared to be a mic above the drivers seat next to the windshield. Does anyone know why it might be in the car if the whole audio system is stock?
I have installed a head unit and subwoofer on a 1980's SAAB but that was obviously as simple as it gets. I'm just a little confused with this car since there is so much more to its audio system than the SAAB.
Thanks for any help, WMGS300
Attached Thumbnails Head Unit Install Confusion-dsc00443.jpg   Head Unit Install Confusion-dsc00445.jpg   Head Unit Install Confusion-dsc00447.jpg   Head Unit Install Confusion-dsc00661.jpg   Head Unit Install Confusion-dsc00663.jpg  

Old 12-18-11, 05:17 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you did not have factory navigation.....

Go to an autoparts store. Ask for Metra 99-8152 and the Toyota Wiring Harness. That will complete your install.

As far as picture 1 - those are antennas not power cords. The smaller of the two is not used. if they are the same, plug one in and turn on AM/FM and make sure you get both. If your lacking AM or quality FM then use the other. Just looking at the pics. The one on the left is the one you want.

The Mic could be a number of things. Easiest way to figure it out is to start putting the mic and trace it back. Chances are it was for a bluetooth of somesort that may have just been too much of a pain to remove. Though if it is a MIC is a funky old looking one.

Yes the factory sub will work with an aftermarket amp, just need to get a very small Watt class D amp with a amp wiring kit and RCAs.

Finally. A good installer who wants to impress a customer makes everything look OEM. Though you think the car is stockm chances are it wasnt. The prior owner could have had a full system done and now it all looks normal again means the uninstall went well. My old rx8 was full proof at that lol.

no idea about the orange plugs. Most likely one was a changer, the other was steering wheel controls or sat radio/gps? I mean honestly it doesnt really matter too much lol. its either not used or not used in your application.

gl. let me know if you need help.
Old 12-22-11, 11:45 AM
WMGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response irishcharm. So when I get the harness, that will just be connected with the plugs from the second picture? Is there anything that I need to do with the factory amp?
Old 12-22-11, 04:16 PM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the two plugs that plug into the radio will plug into the harness that i mentioned above and allow you to do your wiring. as long as the current radio setup (OEM one) looks like this......

OEM radio (two white plugs) ; those run to your OEM amp ; ect. if thats the case, you just need pick up the harness. though that harness is how ive done a number of pre 2000 GS series radios. You will also need a dash kit. Which you can get a best buy, along with your wiring harness.