Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

RX 400h 2006 with xm tuner installed - play ipod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 10:37 AM
hirendesai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 400h 2006 with xm tuner installed - play ipod?

I recently bought 2006 rx400h. It has mark levinson radio and xm tuner installed (external). I do not have subscription and when I turn it on and set the radio to AM, i get buzzing sound, so i assume it would work if i subscribed to it. The xm tuner is placed on the floor between the cup holder and the radio with a small cable coming out of the dash board.

Trying to use existing cable connection here. I do not care for listening to xm radio. There are no inputs on the xm tuner. I wonder if i splice the cable (disconnect the xm tuner) and somehow connect ipod/iphone to listen to music on my ipod? controlling through steering wheel controls/charging ipod would be a plus!

I've lots of hope here. Thank you in advance!
Old 12-26-11, 04:16 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

try a vehicle specific unit like iSimple's piece...

http://isimplesolutions.com/iphone-i...n-GateWay.aspx
Old 12-26-11, 04:53 PM
hirendesai
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. But I'm searching for a way to use existing xm radio cable that's coming out from (back of?) the radio so that I do not have to open the dashboard. Its 2006 rx400h with built in 6 cd changer, mark levinson radio.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-11, 08:05 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post pictures of said cable.....however if you want your iphone/ipod to do what your requesting. you need to follow the advice from shibumi1.

if not, depending what kind of cable/xm radio/way it was connected behind the dash. you may have an AUX line at best. however it will depend on who installed it and what device they used.
Old 12-30-11, 10:38 AM
hirendesai
Driver School Candidate

Thaks irishcharm. Here's the link for pictures. The cable also powers the xm radio tuner.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1043319...JGx8tOzjMKrKg#
Old 12-30-11, 11:37 AM
irishcharm
Driver

ahhh an old terk XM commander. Ah innovation at its finest.....well to answer your question, no your going to need to take apart your dash. that unit worked just displayed what your pictures showed and only one wire as compared to 3+ wires for a more simple and clean installation.

If you take apart your dash, you will see wires and a 3 or 4" by 4" black box (mainly ignore that). You will also see whats called an FM modulator running from the antenna of your radio to a 2" by 1" tiny box then to your vehicles antenna. that wire is called the FM modulator and the headphone jack can be used as an MP3 player.......if you have the 1st gen one (i.e. the one that had connection issues.....on the larger black box originally mentioned, you will have an audio out RCA which may be able to be put to a headphone jack via RCA.

either way the dash is coming off. and honestly FM modulator AUX inputs are the midgrade and not always 100% reliable. if you dont have FM your out of luck and the sound quality is alright at best.....let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 12-30-11, 11:54 AM
hirendesai
Driver School Candidate

oh well. I was really hoping to cut the xm tuner loose and splice/solder the cable to get atleast an aux in.

But this sounds like its using FM. I do have FM but not sure what frequency it would pick up. Also wondering why I hear lots of static sound on AM when the XM is turned on. And where does the XM gets power from?
Old 12-31-11, 05:52 AM
irishcharm
Driver

Nope unfortunetly with that and its following model the Commander MT, they arent meant to be a classical dock style SAT radio.

How to find out what channel the FM modulator is on.....turn on XM unit. Turn on FM radio. Press and hold the seek button until what is displayed on XM radio is coming through the speakers. thats the station. if that doesnt work its due to the wiring behind the dash or the units themselves failing. I

The reason you hear lots of static on the AM is due to the very nature of a SAT radio FM modulator. An FM Mod blocks all other radio stations (in most cars and in most states) from coming into your radio with the exception of the station the SAT radio is on. So by nature....you will have fuzzy AM and FM while the SAT is on. Simply turn off the SAT at the unit you have pictures of and the problem should resolve itself.

The XM gets its power from the larger black box installed behind your dash....here is a rough talking of whats going on behind your dash.

-XM radio you see on your dash -----> Main Control Box (Large black box) and from there ------> 2 pin harness for Constant 12volts and ground (attached to respective wires, most likely at your radio) -------> XM antenna outbound (there should be a small square on the exterior of your vehicle somewhere) ------->FM modulator (as mentioned above).

Thats how it works in a nutshell.

In your case hirendesai - follow Shibumi1's advice. as it is mine as well. The model ISTY571 is the model that works for 2007, 08, 09 and most likely, though not listed, your 2006. There are also numerous other things that can be done that are more affordable, though sacrifice some quality.
Old 01-01-12, 11:48 AM
hirendesai
Driver School Candidate

Excellent information irishcharm! Got everything I needed to know. This is a great place!
Old 01-02-12, 05:55 AM
irishcharm
Driver

anytime. Feel free to ask any further questions and goodluck.
Old 01-06-12, 09:29 AM
hirendesai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hirendesai
Thanks for the reply. But I'm searching for a way to use existing xm radio cable that's coming out from (back of?) the radio so that I do not have to open the dashboard. Its 2006 rx400h with built in 6 cd changer, mark levinson radio.

Thanks.
I was looking at isimple isty571, but the page does not show its compatible with 2006 rx400h. Any experience with installing it in 06 rx400h?
Old 01-06-12, 10:58 AM
irishcharm
Driver

not with an 06 but my records show that an aftermarket wiring harness is the same in an 06 and 07 with a small variation in the 08 and totally different in the 09. since the isimple is suppose to work with an 07,08,09 i am under the understanding that it will work. However shoot them an email with the question.
Old 01-08-12, 02:21 PM
hirendesai
Driver School Candidate

yeah i'm waiting for their reply. The description does mention that the radio must have AM-SAT or SAT button. I dont have those, but do have AM and Mode buttons.
Old 01-09-12, 01:56 PM
hirendesai
Driver School Candidate

Ok, got their response .

"The ISTY571 will function for your radio, but in the CD changer emulation mode through your disc button."
Old 01-10-12, 06:18 AM
irishcharm
Driver

meaning it may look different. in other words it will act like like a GM without a SAT button. Some display the track and artist and some do not. The ones that dont end up only charging ipods and acting like an AUX in for them. the ones that do look like the one installed in my IS. i posted pictures in a thread somewhere. But its just an option.

Quick Reply: RX 400h 2006 with xm tuner installed - play ipod?