AVH-P4200DVD installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-11, 09:29 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AVH-P4200DVD installation problems

Hello,

I've tried to install the pioneer AVH-P4200DVD double din in the sc today and... it doesnt come on. At least not from inside the car.

I had an aftermarket pioneer single din before this and used the same wiring (followed the audio installation thread posted here) and this is my wiring:

yellow (constant) to blue wire
red (ignition) to grey wire with red line
black (ground) to chasis and radio frame
speaker wires to speakers

Yet it doesnt come on at all. I took it back to the guy to test it he put it on his battery connecting the constant and ignition to positive terminal and ground to negative terminal on the battery and it came on perfectly. I tried again inside the car and even tried gathering both constant and ignition and connected them to the grey wire and the blue wire... no luck!

Any ideas?

Thanks and happy new year
Old 01-01-12, 10:02 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this may be obvious, but I'd check fuses. If they are all good get a multimeter and test the accessory and constant wires. Both wires need to receive power for most stereos to even power on.
Old 01-01-12, 11:05 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the reply, here is my update.

Checked fuses both radio fuses were blown. Replaced them but nothing. Constant and ignition DO receive power I just verified it. Now my old deck wont power on. I went through all fuses all's good there, wires get power, neither radio turns on.

I went an extra mile and got another 20amp fuse and connected both to it and to + terminal. ground to - terminal and comes on without problems, fuse dont blow or nothing.

PS when i checked the current of the constant and ignition I connected my amp +12v to either wire and powers on no problem (my dmm died so I couldnt test with it) just not the radio.

Maybe not enough current going through? I remember the constant wire brushed against a metal piece and sparked, I guess that caused the blown fuses, now even if it touch a ground it dont spark or nothing. I dont think the ground has anything to do with it as it is directly attached to the chasis/metal frame.

Ideas?
Old 01-01-12, 11:33 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like there still may be a fuse issue. Radio #2 is a constant I believe, but I don't remember if it's the constant for the stereo or if that is combined on another circuit. I'd recheck all the fuses to be safe. It still appears to be the most likely cause for the issue given this just happened when you swapped stereos.
Old 01-01-12, 01:30 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I dont remember which was radio #1 and which was #2 but the one under the hood is ignition (20A) and the one in the cockpit is the constant (7.5A)

Thats what I thought at first, ran a check on both fuse boxes and everything is good there. Ground for some reason stopped grounding and had to find another spot for it. Now I am concerned about the ground where it stopped grounding, can it turn to something serious?