Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: SC300/SC400 Custom iPhone Holder (Replaces Upper Cup Holder)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 05:53 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default HOW TO: SC300/SC400 Custom iPhone Holder (Replaces Upper Cup Holder)

After experimenting with a bunch of diffferent mounts for my iPhone - everything from vent clip-ons (BAD! Broke a vent, had to replace it) to goose-neck mounts (nice until you move the seat - then it all goes to hell) I finally found a way to get a good cell phone mount into the SC. The cell phone mount goes where the useless cupholder is on the upper-right center console. It takes minimal parts.

IS THIS THREAD FOR YOU?

For reference, this thread is for SC300/SC400 owners who:
1. Have an iPhone 4S. Or 4. Or 3GS. Or any cell phone.
2. Want to have a real phone mount, not jam their phones into the cup holders or next to the shifter.
3. Know how to use a screwdriver.

We're going to mod the center console to go from this:

To this (sorry it's a dark pic):

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
Required Tools

1. Phillips screwdriver (medium)
2. Sharpie
3. Small 3mmm drill

4a. Needle-nosed pliers OR
4b. (optional) Tamiya box wrench (shown below)
This tool is a standard tool included with any Tamiya RC model kit. If you have a buddy that's into RC, chances are high that they know what this is, have one, or have something similar. This tool is optional - you can use needle-nosed pliers instead, but it's not as convenient.

Parts Needed
1. Arkon Slim-Grip Windshield & Dash Mount
Of course I used the iPhone version since I have an iPhone. Arkon makes a few different styles for other phones, but this particular one is part #IPM514. Note how the mount has a large **** at the joint between the suction cup section and the arm; this is important for the installation so make sure you get this one (not the "Mini Slim-Grip" which uses a metal pin). I got mine on Amazon Prime for about $12 shipped.

2. One 3x35mm screw with 3mm locknut (shown in the tools photo)
This is what is used to mount the cell phone holder to the center dash trim. You can get these at any hardware store - or better yet, try a hobby shop that sells RC models.

HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE?

This will take about 30 minutes to do if you're familiar with removing the center dash trim.
Let's begin!

A. REMOVE THE CENTER DASH TRIM
Follow my how-to here to remove your center dash trim. Just do section A. "REMOVE THE CENTER CONSOLE/RADIO TRIM". Don't forget to unplug the HVAC and Hazard harnesses on the left side, as well as the cigarette lighter harness.

B. PREP THE CENTER DASH TRIM
We'll have to remove the cup holder (if you have one) first, then prepare it for the cell phone holder.

1. If you have the useless cup holder, look at the backside of the dash trim and you'll see that it's held in by four plastic tabs. Simply pinch those tabs and out goes the cup holder.

This is what it looks like with the cup holder removed - if you didn't have a cup holder, there might be a small piece of foam liner inside - remove it to expose the two holes shown here:

C. DISASSEMBLE AND FIT THE CELL PHONE HOLDER
Now to fit the holder in the right position and mount it.

1. First, remove the large **** and screw from the cell phone holder, seperating the main arm from the suction cup mount. The screw, ****, and suction cup mount parts are not needed.

2. Hold the arm section next to the now vacant cup holder area. Position the center hole somewhere about 15mm from the back edge of the cup holder pocket, and mark the center with a Sharpie. A small dot will do.

3. Using the drill, drill a 3mm hole at the Sharpie mark.

4. Now insert the new 3x35mm screw into the hole all the way in (use a screwdriver if the hole is tight).

5. Now insert the cell phone arm into the cup holder pocket (the arm curve should be towards the driver) and up toward the 3x35mm screw.

5. Now this is where the Tamiya box wrench comes in handy - you'll need to fasten the 3mm locknut onto the screw to hold the cell phone holder arm in place. The Tamiya box wrench is small enough to hold the 3mm locknut from the unside of the cup holder pocket:

Alternatively, you can use needle-nosed pliers to grasp the locknut from the back side of the center dash trim. Either way, tighten the screw and locknut until it's flush with the arm. Don't overdo it - the nylon part of the locknut will hold it in place.

D. RUN YOUR IPHONE CABLE (Optional if you have one)

The head unit in my car has an iPhone/iPod cable, so I decided to run it behind the center dash trim for a cleaner custom look. If you don't have a cable, skip to section E.

1. iPhone/iPod cables are just the right size to fit through the back of the cup holder pocket, but first here's a tip: tie a loose knot about 6-inches down from the iPhone/iPod plug.

2. Next, run the cable through the lower hole in the cup holder pocket - again, it's just the right size to fit through with no mods.

Note in the photo below how the cable is sticking out long enough to reach the phone when the phone is in the holder, and the knot keeps the iPhone/iPod cable from being pulled out too far.

(continued next post)

Last edited by raine; 07-31-12 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-05-12, 05:55 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

(continued)

E. REINSTALL CENTER DASH TRIM
That's pretty much it! Now you just have to reinstall the center dash trim into the car, doing the reverse steps that you did to remove it. Don't forget to plug in the HVAC, Hazard, and cigarette lighter harnesses!

With the center dash trim in place, you'll have a clean cell phone holder:

The phone is positioned far enough so tat I can eject the DVD from my head unit without moving the holder out of the way. Oh - and about the rest of the space in the cup holder pocket? I used the space for an iPod Nano. The Nano and cable sits at the bottom of the cup holder pocket, giving me instant music when I turn the car on, even if I don't connect my iPhone 4S first.

If I ever need to charge my phone, the cable is long enough to reach the phone while in the cell phone holder.

END

Last edited by raine; 07-31-12 at 02:47 AM.
Old 01-05-12, 07:02 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up! I actually use my fold out cup holder, but if I change my mind then I'll probably end up doing this.
Old 01-06-12, 03:14 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very detailed DIY! Clean install, looks good!
Old 01-06-12, 05:12 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ihiryu
nice write up! I actually use my fold out cup holder, but if I change my mind then I'll probably end up doing this.
For what? Everything I tried just tips over eventually lol
Old 01-07-12, 12:36 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

lmao, I actually use it for drinks. But I still put my hand over it. Makes it easier for me to shift gears, cause I can quickly move my hand back and forth between the cup and shifter lol
Old 01-07-12, 06:24 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ihiryu
lmao, I actually use it for drinks. But I still put my hand over it. Makes it easier for me to shift gears, cause I can quickly move my hand back and forth between the cup and shifter lol
That kind of defeats the purpose if your hand is the actual cupholder lol
Old 01-07-12, 07:01 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

No no, it's not holding it, it's just "balancing" it lol