Sponsored by:

Replacing all speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 04:45 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing all speakers

Hey Guys, I plan to replace all my stock speakers ('91 LS)
I plan to get the JL 8IB4 free air subwoofer;
For the front, I don't know what to get? I'm thinking of Diamond audio, Infinity 505cs, Polk Audio or Anybody has any suggestions?
Also, What about the rear door speakers? What fits in there? Can I do without them?
Really appreciate your feedback in advance
Old 10-17-02, 11:01 AM
Lvangundy

They are both 4". The rear sub is 8". In 1992, or 1993 it was replaced with a 10" sub.

I tried putting aftermarket 4" in the doors, but the mounting is all custom from the factory. You'll have to cut a larger hole and drill new screw holes. In this case you might as well move to a 5 1/4" or 6" speaker.
Old 10-17-02, 11:32 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

6" will definitely not work.
5 1/4" will work if you do some cutting and the magnet isn't too large.
4" just slaps right on!

Last edited by SQ-LS; 10-17-02 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-17-02, 04:23 PM
Michaelbex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JL is a good choice for the sub, but whatever size you choose for the doors, I would definitely choose MB Quart. They are far and away the best car speakers however I would also recommend amplifiers to get the best sound out of them.
Old 10-18-02, 01:46 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MBQuart the best speaker laf

For stock location use Dynaudios since they have pretty wide despersion. If they sound too mellow step up to a set of DLS Ultimate Refference drivers. They are a little more alive then Dyn's but have the same quality and depth to them. Just heard a set...amazing!

Forget Quart and Focal...all hype.
Old 10-18-02, 02:50 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Thanks for all the posts
But what speakers fit the rear door ?

Retrodrive:
Which model of Dynaudios fits ? I have Nakamachi system.
Dynaudios, Is that what you have in your LS?
Old 10-18-02, 03:14 AM
blitz
Pole Position

Lightbulb

the front, i have 6.5 right now...i had a very good time installing 6.5. *****! (took me more than 2 hours for cutting inside... )

i will tell you to install no bigger than 5 1/4 for the front and the back. hey, stock is only 4' so...not bad for 5 1/4.

diamond audio amazed me. very good shot to try.

no polk, unless you are the guy who is 1 out 10 loves polk audio.

pioneer or alpine..and so on same stage will make no big difference with stock.

good luck!
Old 10-18-02, 03:16 AM
blitz
Pole Position

Originally posted by retrodrive
Forget Quart and Focal...all hype.

hmm...respect please....hehehe...

i believe "hype" isn't the right word..
Old 10-18-02, 03:45 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Plan to make a trip to car stereo shop to listen to the Diamond Audio.
Dynaudios speakers are very expensive; I think that is not for me.
Thanks for your suggestions retrodrive.
Anybody has JL Audio VR525 CS component speakers? They are 5.25" and they may make a good match with the 8" JL free air subwoofer . What do U think?
Old 10-18-02, 02:31 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Heya...ok...it was a little harsh on focals and quarts but I can't keep it inside sometimes

Anyway, I run 8's in doors and 4" in kickpanels. I am more into competition and defined soundstage. Dynaudios do not aim well (do not create defined soundstage in front of you) but for regular day-to-day listening you don't need that. If I did not compete I would probably run DLS or Dynaudios in doors.

Persy knows about Dyn's way more then I do. I just listened to them a lot in all kinds of applications.
Old 10-18-02, 05:22 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Boston Pro's or Quarts or Diamond Audio are better bang for the buck than the JL speakers, if Dyn's/Focal are out of your range.
Forget about "matching" the JL fronts to the sub, that won't get you anywhere, they're not particularly matched anyway. Except for the higher-end subs, I personally don't care for the JL speakers.
At least for the rear, you're better off chucking the enclosure (assuming there is one in that car) and getting larger speakers for better midbass - this will require a custom baffle panel for each door.
Old 10-22-02, 09:49 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Just curious,do the oem, systems use a crossover to the 4" door/rear speakers,or are they run at full range,and just not given much power?
Old 10-23-02, 10:40 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've never seen a LS taken apart before, so I don't know how much room there is to work on. At the very least, you can probably fit a System 220 Dynaudio setup in there. The System 220 is comprised of a 5 3/4 inch midwoofer and a 1.1 inch soft dome tweeter.

As for recommendations, I'd have to ask what your system goals are.

From experience, in terms of sound quality, here are my recommendations on speakers. They're in order of preference.

Dynaudio. Easiest to tune out that I've experienced and by far the most neutral. Female vocals are astounding as well as piano notes. These are by far the hardest to reproduce since many other speakers will introduce other distortions (2nd, 3rd harmonics) that will color the final result.

Diamond Audio HEX series AND a/d/s/ speakers. Diamond HEX is a bit more softer and veiled sounding, but very detailed with the titanium tweeter. Note that after a while the titanium tweeter can sound a bit harsh. I've yet to hear a titanium tweeter that I've liked - and I've listened to many, including those from Wilson Audio. (yuck) As for the a/d/s/ .... smooooth! If I've never listened to the Dyns, I'd easily spend the rest of my days with a/d/s/ and their relaxed sound. Very easy on the ears!

Focal. Never listened to these before, but good feedback .

MB Quart. They're good...but NOT the best. Many know that I've had numerous sets of these and I've sold all of them to get the dyns. They were a bear to tune out in the midrange if the enclosure has a small internal area. The tweets were way too bright for me, even at the -6db setting. Too "peaky" at around 15 khz and that annoyed the heck out of me. Even with high end electronics (McIntosh modded processors), I still couldn't get the thing sounding the way I wanted to. But, in all due respect to Quart, there have been successful installations. We even have a USACi champion right here on the board running Quarts...though I'm trying to get him to switch over to Dyns. Put it this way...If you want Quarts and then decide to switch over to Dyn, you can sell of the Quarts REALLY easy. It's al lthe advertising hype.

I'd recommend Dyns first with NO reservations.

Percy
Old 10-24-02, 03:54 AM
Seminole GS300
Pole Position

About a week ago I replaced all of the factory speakers. I have 4" Infinity Kappa Components up front, 4" MB Quarts in the rear, and a 10" Pionner IMPP Free Air sub in the back. It actually sounds pretty good. However, I was too lazy to do the install myself, so I paid dearly.
Old 10-24-02, 04:37 AM
lexie
Pole Position

Hey guys .Thank you so much for all the informative post
For '91 LS, how deep is the front door speakers that could fit in there? And what about rear door depth?

Anybody order anything from www.onlinecarstereo.com ? Are they good to do business with?

Last edited by lexie; 10-24-02 at 04:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing all speakers