Sponsored by:

Installing MP3/XM sans modulator / LCD question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-02, 07:52 AM
IronHelix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installing MP3/XM sans modulator / LCD question

Sup all, just found this forum and figured you guys might be able to help me... sorry if this is a really stupid question, I'm a relative n00b when it comes to car audio...

I have a 2000 RX300 non-Nakamichi with the glovebox CD changer and I want to add an MP3 player and XM. The MP3 player I have is a standard Euro DIN replacement stereo type thing. What i want to do is create an enclosure for this that will mount probably on top of the dash and have an XM unit on top of that. (It can passthru the XM input so there's only one feed I need to deal with). I want to then run this into the stereo, but I'd prefer not to use an FM modulator because I've heard it degrades the sound quality a bit.

What I'm thinking for this is a switch that disconnects the control for the CD changer (so the cd doesn't start playing) and then splice the MP3 players feed into the CD changer feed (making sure the signal levels are the same) so that when its in MP3 mode the stereo will play the changer feed and maybe flash an error message or something. Would this work? I guess this would depend on the firmware in the main stereo and if it will play the input without the CD changer saying its OK.

Secondly, does anyone know the specs on the data connector to the blue segmented LCD? One alternative idea i had was to replace the entire display with a small touchscreen LCD panel, this would then be fed from a mini-PC located somewhere else in the car, this would of course kill the existing display but with an interface of some kind the computer could read the signals for the LCD and then with a little program would bring up the original Lexus display in a window or as a screen saver or something.
Old 10-18-02, 08:50 PM
IronHelix
Driver School Candidate

One other idea, since my MP3 player unit has its own volume control couldn't I just splice into the stereo output (thats going to the amp)? Or is the amp built into the stereo? I remember seeing a thread about ripping apart the rear seats to get to the amp or is that just for the sub?
Old 10-19-02, 04:08 PM
cengmd
Driver School Candidate

Get a tape adaptor kit for ~ $10, and connect to MP3 player to tape sytem of the car.
Old 10-19-02, 09:41 PM
IronHelix
Driver School Candidate

ya I already got a tape adapter kit and it works for playing MP3s from my portable MP3 player, but I'd prefer to have no exposed wires if possible.
Old 10-19-02, 10:03 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Here is a little help.

For mounting your MP3 player to the top or bottom of your dash chack out these dash mount parts http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wfp53024.storefront

As for getting AUX input for your MP3/XM to your radio without loosing your CD changer.... that is a difficult one. It's been talked about and requested here many times without a product available for Lexus. My only suggestion would be to isolate and cut the +L and +R low level audio wires from your CD changer cable to the radio. Then pigtail RCA plugs on each wire and place a Peripherals SS2P RCA Switcher in the signal path. The advantage here would be the SS2P switches electronically and has individual channel level adjustements. The operational error may be you need to have CD(s) spinning in your disc changer.

Here is the Peripherals SS2P product link, it's also available from www.autotoys.com http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/signal_path.asp

Although I haven't tested this, it's probably worth a try.

Last edited by LS007; 10-19-02 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-08-02, 05:28 AM
disco_y2k
Pole Position

in the RX300 forum i have a thread about adding a MP3 unit in the dash under the factory radio, you just have to move your heated seats switches, i added 2 more amps, 1 for subs and 1 for the mids and highs and trashed the lexus amp and sub and it sounds a million times better, thats my 2 cents
Old 11-08-02, 12:01 PM
IronHelix
Driver School Candidate

yeah I think I saw that, looked pretty good. I dont want to cut into anything tho, thus the external mounting system. I would consider replacing the amps and/or sub with larger units if its not too hard, but I remember hearing you had to unbolt and remove the rear seats to get to the amps? Is the amps current power supply cables sufficient for a larger one or did you run extra cables?
And I've considered a larger subwoofer but I don't want to have any trunkspace occupied with sub cabinets, is it possible to keep it under the seat when upgrading to a 6" (or larger) sub?