Problem with stock CD changer - scratchy sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-02, 04:31 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Problem with stock CD changer - scratchy sound

Hi guys,

I usually do not post in this forum since my system is stock. I have, however, a problem that is getting progressively worse. When paying CDs, I get a scratchy/static-like sound along with the music. It used to be that it gets bad about 30 minutes into the CD. Now it is about 5 minutes.

At first I thought that it was because my music is on CD-Rs. Some seemed worse than others. I replaced the bads CD-Rs with another made from a different CD-R batch. It seemed to get better but now it is back, and worse. I even put in a commercial "stamped" CD and the noise problem is still there.

I've tried cleaning the changer with one of those "brush" lens cleaner I used for my players in the house. It did not seem to help.

Is there anything you guys can suggest? Is this fixable? I am hosed and will need to buy a new CD player?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-20-02, 03:11 AM
Cleeve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Problem

Neo,

Hi, I am Cleeve with La Jolla Audio Repair in San Diego,Ca.
From your description of the problem it sounds like the Laser is slowly losing its' ability to focus on reading the CD's you have. The only solution is to have it serviced and the Laser needs to be replaced. By the way, DO NOT USE the so called CD cleaners that are on the market. None can do the right job as having it done professionally by a service technician. The little brushes that are on them are hitting the suspended Laser at several thousand RPM. Since the Laser is suspended by springs, hitting it that fast and that much with those little brushes will no doubt change the positioning of the factory aligned Laser, thus focusing problems will occur. Lasers do have a life span of so many hours and can and will fail or go weak thus creating the problem you have. I can service this unit for you if you wish or you can find a local service center. If I can help you in any way let me know. I can be contacted via my Web site: www.lajollaaudiorepair.com

Cleeve Morrison
La Jolla Audio Repair
Old 10-20-02, 06:19 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks Cleeve,

Your explanation matches my suspicion. That is what it feels like is happening. I would take you up on your service offer. Unfortunately, I am in Northern CA. It would be quite a long drive to get the unit services.

How much do you think the laser replacement would cost? Would the dealer be able to handle it? I would think not. They'd probably just suggest replacing the unit. I could be wrong, though.

Last edited by Neo; 10-20-02 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 06:02 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very interesting post.

I have a similar problem on a home Aiwa system.
How much does this repair usualy run and can it be done at home with minimal tools?

I'm not affraid to mess up this Aiwa System. What do I need in order to try this at home?

Where do you get new Lasers?
Old 10-22-02, 06:11 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cd...tml#CDFAQA_001

OK, Never mind way over my head.
Old 10-22-02, 06:35 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"If you have an oscilloscope...." That's about as far as I could make it. LOL

I have been doing repairs on a home Aiwa system and inside there are various alignment screws which affect the laser. For example I turned one I shouldn't have and now the player cannot read some CDs (more than 20 tracks and it makes a clicking noise while spinning up). Maybe you can try that, except make it so it works better and not worse like I did?

The dealer is not going to help you other than offering to replace the unit. However, if you get a new one from the dealer you might be able to get a CL discount so maybe it won't be $1200 or whatever they charge.

After trying to fix it myself and probably making it worse I would most likely get an aftermarket Pioneer or whatever unit and they've got the pin-outs for most cars on this site so you can use that to wire it up so it works with your factory stereo.

Good luck and BTW that Cleeve knows what he's talking about I'm just thinking of some other things you could try.