Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Anyone familiar with Headunit/Radio and Amp circuits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 11:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with Headunit/Radio and Amp circuits?

I've posted this in the 2GS forum before, but I figure I might have better luck in this forum.

The car is 2001 GS430, has a Pioneer radio with CD changer in glove box, no nav, no Nakamichi. The headunit is Pioneer KEXM-8406-ZT and the amp is Pioneer GM-8506ZT/E.

Apparently this is a fairly uncommon configuration, and I whatever diagrams for the plugs that I was able to find online does not apply to me. Wire colors don't match other models, etc. I was able to pull diagrams for the Pioneer headunit and amp, and I'm looking for someone to help me "decode" them, and help understand which wire goes where.

This is what I'm trying to do. My car was once equipped with a factory phone, that was supposed to mute radio and use left door speaker for voice. Right now I have a bluetooth kit that mutes the stereo when a phone call is being made/received, but its using a stand alone external speaker that sounds like crap. I would like to re-route it, and hook it up to the rear door speaker, like a factory system.

From what I hear, either the headunit or the amp is supposed to have a hook up just for that. But I can find it. Below are the plug diagrams for the pioneer headunit and and the amp. With the headunit, I actually pulled it off and marked on the diagrams which wires and colors that are connected to it, but I haven't had the chance to do it with the amp just yet.

Help me out here guys!

This is the headunit. I've indicated every wire that is connected to it on my car.

Attachment 502538

And thats the amp.

Attachment 502539
Old 02-28-12, 07:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Where did you hear that? The head unit or amp does not "have a hook up just for that". How the dealer installed phone audio was routed to the audio system is buried in the factory installed phone system pre-wiring. You might be able to figure that out if you look at the phone system wiring diagram - don't know if they are still available on the Lexus Techinfo website.

Maybe try a different external speaker. The external phone kit speakers in our cars are crystal clear.

Or just tap into wires leading to the door speaker wires as others have done. Your phone kit mutes the radio when a call is in progress and your door speakers aren't doing anything.

If the sound from your external speaker is not clear the problem could be your phone kit. Did the speaker come with the phone kit? What brand kit? Some kits have optional available wiring harness that take car of routing phone audio to one or more door speakers.

Last edited by Kansas; 02-29-12 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-29-12, 08:08 AM
ninja6o4
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to thread jack, but how do you use the main and sub antenna on an aftermarket stereo? When I tried, there's obviously only 1 jack in the stereo, so my radio reception is terrible.
Old 02-29-12, 12:26 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kansas
Where did you hear that? The head unit or amp does not "have a hook up just for that". How the dealer installed phone audio was routed to the audio system is buried in the factory installed phone system pre-wiring. You might be able to figure that out if you look at the phone system wiring diagram - don't know if they are still available on the Lexus Techinfo website.

Maybe try a different external speaker. The external phone kit speakers in our cars are crystal clear.

Or just tap into wires leading to the door speaker wires as others have done. Your phone kit mutes the radio when a call is in progress and your door speakers aren't doing anything.

If the sound from your external speaker is not clear the problem could be your phone kit. Did the speaker come with the phone kit? What brand kit? Some kits have optional available wiring harness that take car of routing phone audio to one or more door speakers.
The sound is clear from the external speaker, but the volume leaves much to be desired. I actually bought a different, (powered) external speaker, and gonna hook it up this weekend to see if it makes any difference.

I would love to be able to make the set up seamless and go through the factory door speaker however.
Old 02-29-12, 12:27 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ninja6o4
Not to thread jack, but how do you use the main and sub antenna on an aftermarket stereo? When I tried, there's obviously only 1 jack in the stereo, so my radio reception is terrible.
I don't think you can do that unless your aftermarket unit supports both antennas. But generally radio reception on all aftermarket headunits sucks. I recommend getting a unit that has HD radio, so at least you'll have very good reception on HD stations.
Old 02-29-12, 12:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Where did you hear that? The head unit or amp does not "have a hook up just for that". How the dealer installed phone audio was routed to the audio system is buried in the factory installed phone system pre-wiring. You might be able to figure that out if you look at the phone system wiring diagram - don't know if they are still available on the Lexus Techinfo website..
According to this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5990112-post30.html we have such hook up.
Old 02-29-12, 04:46 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gonna give you some installer inside info only cause i'm in a good mood and I may or may not have had a beer or four! LOL.

Use the bluetooth unit's mute wire to trigger a relay to break the factory amp remote turn on lead. This way the factory system turns off and the the bluetooth signal is used. You will also need to tie the bluetooth output signal into the speaker leads you want to use.
Old 02-29-12, 05:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
According to this post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5990112-post30.html we have such hook up.
That post said to do what I recommended - tap directly into wires leading to the door speaker you want to use as others have done at the kick panel.

What phone kit are you using? Some have a speaker volume controlled by the kit's software. I've got the install instructions for probably 25 phone kits so tell me which one and I will try to help.
Old 02-29-12, 05:15 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Gonna give you some installer inside info only cause i'm in a good mood and I may or may not have had a beer or four! LOL.

Use the bluetooth unit's mute wire to trigger a relay to break the factory amp remote turn on lead. This way the factory system turns off and the the bluetooth signal is used. You will also need to tie the bluetooth output signal into the speaker leads you want to use.
Och already has the radio muting -- don't know how he did it but there are several terminals in the factory prewire phone harness to attach a phone kit's mute wire to. Using a relay to deprive the amp of power is the "sledge hammer" approach - necessary on some cars but not on Lexus cars of that era.
Old 02-29-12, 07:10 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

The attached diagram for the standard 2001 GS430 audio system may give you a better view of how the componets work together.
Attached Files
Old 03-01-12, 05:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. The unit is a Motorola T605, and I already have it installed. The installation was simple, because I'm not using bluetooth music or even the bluetooth controller, only the very basic functionality. I attached a total of four wires on the bluetooth unit - power, acc, ground and radio mute wire, and plugged in the external speaker.

The problem is, external speaker is only 5 watts, and sometimes when there is a lot of road noise, the volume is just insufficient, and therefore I'm trying to figure out how to tap into the rear door speaker to increase volume.
Old 03-01-12, 05:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Och already has the radio muting -- don't know how he did it but there are several terminals in the factory prewire phone harness to attach a phone kit's mute wire to. Using a relay to deprive the amp of power is the "sledge hammer" approach - necessary on some cars but not on Lexus cars of that era.
Muting is extremely simple - just hooked the mute wire of Motorola T605 to the mute wire on the radio.

Anyone familiar with Headunit/Radio and Amp circuits?-y3hdd.png
Old 03-01-12, 05:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mkorsu

That post said to do what I recommended - tap directly into wires leading to the door speaker you want to use as others have done at the kick panel.

What phone kit are you using? Some have a speaker volume controlled by the kit's software. I've got the install instructions for probably 25 phone kits so tell me which one and I will try to help.
So, if I have the radio on mute, and tap into the speaker wire going to the amp, that should do what I'm trying to do? Also, will I be able to control the volume of that speaker with the radio volume **** during the conversation? And does the radio need to be turned on for that speaker to work?
Old 03-01-12, 07:00 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
So, if I have the radio on mute, and tap into the speaker wire going to the amp, that should do what I'm trying to do? Also, will I be able to control the volume of that speaker with the radio volume **** during the conversation? And does the radio need to be turned on for that speaker to work?
If you tap directly into a door speaker, the radio volume control will not be involved and the phone call audio will play through the speaker weather or not the radio is on or off. You don't want your radio volume control to control the phone call volume.

I'm looking at pages 38 and 39 of the T605 User Guide and see instructions on how to adjust both the call volume and the ringer volume - I've attached both the User Guide and speaker install guide.

Is your speaker sound being blocked by interior trim? If it is, try to mount it out in the open. Attached is a photo showing where I mounted the phone kit speaker in my LS - can't be seen from the driver seat but it's plenty loud. The photo shows me comparing a smaller speaker to the one I used.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone familiar with Headunit/Radio and Amp circuits?-motorola-t605-installing-the-external-speaker.jpg   Anyone familiar with Headunit/Radio and Amp circuits?-small-nokia-speaker-low-res.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Motorola T605 User Guide.pdf (1,009.0 KB, 389 views)
Old 03-01-12, 07:45 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

For 90% of calls the external speaker works fine, just on certain calls for some reason the volume is too low - guess when someone puts me on a speaker phone.

If I tap into an amp speaker wire, I assume it will always be on maximum volume?

Quick Reply: Anyone familiar with Headunit/Radio and Amp circuits?