Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Finally a Valentine 1 installation that I love

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 07:36 PM
LS007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've given thought to mounting the V1 Concealed Display in the center cell phone holder (campartment below the six-disc CD changer on the LS430). It measures out at the smallest point 2.5" and will easily hold a 1" high device. The Concealed Display is 1.0-in. H x 2.5-in. W x 1.2-in. D. Satin-black finish matches V1. The V1 main unit would then be mounted up next to the rear view mirror. This main unit mount is probably going to be more challenging than the concealed display.

Wouldn't you want the V1 to have clearest line of sight to the laser or radar device targeting you?
Old 10-24-02, 11:26 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more thing to consider where you guys are going to mount the "hidden" display is line of sight.

I'd rather look up near my rear view mirror, than down into my ash tray to determine the arrows lighting up; periphial (sp/?) vision lets me still see what's in front of me.
Old 10-25-02, 01:04 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Some truly great installation work - I gotta love the V1 remote integrated right into the dash cluster.
Just bear in mind that, when mounting the detector on the rear deck, you may be somewhat compromising sensitivity and performance in the front direction - there could be more blind spots for the detector (door pillars, etc.) - it practically may not matter that much, trial and error will tell. I'm sure it likewise enhances the performance in the rear direction. As for me, I'd rather have the thing up front where you get max forward performance, I want every split second of warning I can get.
FYI, as for the vents/plastic, the plastic is much like glass is to radar, as long as it does not have any impregnated metal or metallic coating, it will be fairly transparent to radar. However, laser is another thing, the vents will definitely block or diffract the light, and depending on the vent slat width and the incident light angle, you could get compromised performance with laser detection.
Old 10-25-02, 01:41 PM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neo, you made a good point about the small center headrest for the rear passenger, that might get in the way. I was thinking that the unit would go either on top of the third brake light for those of us that have it or where the third brake light would be for those that don't.

engin_ear also had some good points about the blind spots and between both comments I had another idea.

Since it's better to have the V1 mounted as high as possible, how hard would it be to make something to hold the V1 so that it would hang from the headliner, right before the rear glass begins? The front and rear parts of the compartment would be open to allow the sensors to have an unobstructed line of sight. I have to look at the headliner to see how it slopes to make sure this is an option. You could then cover this compartment/radar detector holder with felt to make it match the rest of the headliner. Then run the wires for the remote audio adapter and concealed display under the headliner and down one of the A pillars (if that's possible) to connect them somewhere on the dash. How does that sound?

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 10-25-02 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-04-02, 10:49 AM
Sam Khoury
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I finally got around to measuring the quarter holder on the left side of the dash by the side view mirror controls and it looks like the Valentine 1 remote audio adapter will fit there perfectly. The coin holder measures approximately 1.75" H x 3" W and at least 1.5" D and the remote audo adapter is 0.9" H x 2.5" W x 1.6" D.

Now I'm going to try to find out how much room is behind the panel where the home link buttons are located because that's where I want to put the concealed display so that it's sitting right above the read view mirror.

Last edited by Sam Khoury; 11-04-02 at 10:53 AM.