W6v2 Ported

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 01:41 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
make sure the loc is tied to a full range signal (not the subwoofer) that will cause uneven signal to the amp.. because the sub level lowers as the total volume increases.. so try hooking the loc to the front 2 channels.. it'll make a big difference.. most shops tie to the sub because its easier to access.
Correction - most shops tie into the sub because they are 2 things - 1) lazy b) stupid.

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
2nd i didnt see the setting for the infrasonic filter it should be (ON... from it i can make out its turned off) set higher than the 3db down point of the port tuning frequency.. if u dont know the tuning freq.. the try between 30 & 45hz.. the woofer will break up under the tuning freq of the port.. the infrasonic filter is a low end crossover stopping the woofer from playing notes too low to handle safely....
Agreed. And to clarify the reasoning behind it, the woofer is only controlled to the tuning frequency. Anything under that cause it to "unload" since the air is no longer flowing in/out of the vent, and before you really hear the distortion, your woofer is feeling it. If you let it go too low, you let out the magic smoke.

Originally Posted by Yuri101
No idea what box specs are. I have tried a sealed box and still didn't sound right. As for wiring it to the front channels can I get some more people to back that up. And I'll try messing with the amp settings tommorow and tell u how that goes.
I concur on full range channel (can be rear, too, FYI, just not sub).

And idk what a high to low converter is.
LOC = high to low converter.

Originally Posted by aznKewlguy
ditch the bass **** and ditch the ported box!!

Bass ***** only increase a certain frequency, IIRC it is 45hz. Not the deep "clean" bass that you are looking for.

And yes as someone stated, if your looking for SQ. Ported is not the way to go. Infinite baffle would probably be the best bet.....
In a word, no. This is a blanket answer and doesn't work here. Why? Because the Q and center frequency are adjustable on this amp, as evidenced by the pitchers (which we will discuss in a minute). As for better SQ, IB is good, but the power requirements are more than a good sealed enclosure, and IB is much more challenging to get right. Lexi are sealed well, but still require a bit more for a good IB application.

Removing bass **** while sealed was already tried barely a difference. btw when i did try sealed it did sound better, but not much better.

Settings in Detail:

Output - Ampfilter
12/24db - near 22
Filter mode - LP
Bass eq- on
"Q" - 0.5
Center - 20
Boost - near 0
Amp LP filter - slope, and underneath that says 24 db
Input voltate- low
filter frequency - 70
signal sensing - off

Infrasonic switch from off to on made it a bit better. Adjusted the setting to around 35 also

___
I'm going to keep messing with this until im satisfied lol
If you have your bass EQ on, your center frequency should not be 20. You are, essentially, boosting at 20 Hz, which your infrasonic is then cutting off. You also have the Q very narrow at 0.5. I suggest raising the bass EQ center into a usable range, such as 50 Hz, and increasing the Q to around 0.7, since this will allow it to affect more frequencies around that center frequency. If you choose to use the bass ****, you should keep the boost on the amp at 0, as you do not want to send it more signal than it can effectively handle.

I noticed in the pitcher (4th one) that your input sensitivity seems to be halfway up (but since it's a pot, that could just be the way it was installed in the amp itself). If it is halfway up, that's entirely too much. With a LOC, you are feeding the amp quite a bit of signal, but if it's done off a sub output, they may have bandaided it by doing this - and distorting the living bejeezus out of the signal at the same time.

I suggest changing the input to the LOC and readjusting the gain (AKA input sensitivity) correctly, along with the above, and you should see much better results.

PS - I have to disagree that a vented enclosure can't sound good. Provided the rest is setup correctly, they certainly can. Expecting extremely tight bass, however, is another story. That takes a lot of tuning and experimenting, which most shops are want to do.

Big Mack
Old 04-06-12, 02:15 PM
Yuri101
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the reply. I will keep posting and updating how it's coming along. I plan to call up the shop and tell them about getting the loc connected to a full range output from the back speakers and hopefully they wont charge me anything.

I will also try adjusting the options on the amp and see what that does.

btw can you tell me what the difference of using the sub output is vs the back speakers. How would it give it a better sound

Last edited by Yuri101; 04-06-12 at 02:22 PM.