No More Whining on Aftermarket Head Unit/Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-12, 08:14 PM
tre2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No More Whining on Aftermarket Head Unit/Stereo

First off, I love this site.

For the longest, I've been dealing with a slightly annoying issue.

So basically, how this starts off is that I took the easy route in getting my head unit replaced. I bought a head unit from a store and then took it to what I thought was a reputable car and stereo shop here in ATL. The guy put in the stereo, then brought me to come listen to it. Immediately I noticed the constant whining noise (which I just recently learned came from the alternator/starter or something to that nature) to which he explained in very vague terms that my car was special in some way and needed a certain piece/adapter that they didn't have in stock. He piece would cause around $15 and I may need to buy two, and to come back later in the week and he should have it. I went back to the shop on a few occasions when I was off of work or on the weekend. I didn't get the name of the guy who put the stereo in, so no one working there could tell by a description of the man who this mystery man was or what piece he was talking about to rid my car of the whine, but on each occasion I was promised that if I came back (insert random day here) that said unknown man should be there. After getting that three times trying to get three days off, I just said screw it and figured I'd get used to the sound.

Fast forward a year. I'm -not- used to the sound and people who ride in my car ask, "what's that whining noise?" So, finally fed up, I go down on the weekend to this place to get a definite answer on what I need and for them to fix it. I get there and the place is a ghost town. Their sign is gone, etc. (Insert sad face here).

I don't give up.

I go to the place where I bought the head unit and speak to some guys in their garage. They sit in the car, listen to the noise, notice it changes pitch with the rev of my engine and say that the issue is that the OEM lexus amp has gone bad. They say they can bypass the amp and the procedure would cost about $75. Aside from that, I could just upgrade my system set up and then the price for labor went up to about $250 plus parts. I tell them thank you and come home. I turn on my computer and come here.

I see this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html and on page 3 or so, I realize that I am not alone! Others have felt my pain! I hear this foreign word called a Ground Loop Isolator and understand that when put in the car it fixes the problem. Unfortunately, they don't go into detail about where it goes exactly or has a picture.

So I google this: http://www.ehow.com/how_6823205_inst...-isolator.html

"Oh!" I conclude, "all I got to do is plug it into the thing under the CD tray! Nice!"

Then it's off to Frys to buy this thing. I get said thing and come home. I take out my trunk upholstery, unmount the CD player, get to the sub amp and realize... it has no RCA adapters there. This little mushroom guy tells me "your princess is in another castle." So I'm like, "crap... it's behind the head unit!"

Long story short, I followed: http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/sho...&threadid=6758 to get the head unit off. And plugged my GLI into the back of my headunit only to discover: I need two of these things and Frys closes in 20 mins! I make it, and get two, plug them in, put the head unit back in, crank up the car and smile! I'm so happy to be rid of that whine. So happy.

Name:  head_unit_loop_can-1.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  264.7 KB
Need Two
Name:  head_unit_loop_can_double.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  354.4 KB
Got Two
Name:  head_unit_after.jpg
Views: 2016
Size:  233.5 KB
And back together again

Last edited by tre2k; 04-07-12 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 08:30 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man good work glad it worked out for you
Old 04-07-12, 08:49 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I'm glad to hear that this worked for you. I might have to do that this week. This is much easier than wiring up a new four channel amp and speakers.
Old 04-07-12, 08:57 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

When I pulled my buddies headunit out of his car, he had the same thing. I dont need it, so if someone needs it, PM me... Glad you figured out the problem.
Old 04-07-12, 09:21 PM
tre2k
Driver School Candidate

thx! Yeah, I was very surprised at how easy it was to pull the head unit compared to my much older 85 Celica GTS. I thought it would be harder, but it only took a few minutes.
Old 04-07-12, 11:07 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Hmm...i have yet to have to this problem. Cool that you fixed it though
Old 04-07-12, 11:51 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much did those 2 run you?

Thanks for posting this helpful info, i have same problem when my aux is plugged in to a music player that is charging lol
Old 04-08-12, 06:14 AM
tre2k
Driver School Candidate

I think you'll only get the whine if you have a rca connection or adapter on the head unit? But the gli cost 14 ea.
Old 04-08-12, 07:13 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ
how much did those 2 run you?

Thanks for posting this helpful info, i have same problem when my aux is plugged in to a music player that is charging lol
If you don't have a Fry's near you, I found some at Radioshack for $19.99 each.
Old 04-08-12, 08:57 AM
hihopes
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

in one of the links you posted it says that this is just a temporary fix. When i got my sc i had the same whining and couldnt figure it out. Everyone told me it was a ground issue. 2 weeks ago i got a new headunit, since the one in the car was crappy and outdated.
I sat there for 2 hours trying to figure out the wires cause who ever wired up the other speaker changed everything around.
I figured it all out and it ended up that there was a ground coming from the stock wiring that was just left out and taped up. The ground from the headunit was grounded, so it looked like the ground was secure but that other ground was just hidden. I cut the ground from the stock wiring into the ground on the headunit and whala! all fixed.

So what im saying is basically the same as i was told, check to make sure the grounds are connected correctly
Old 04-08-12, 09:07 AM
tre2k
Driver School Candidate

I see what you're saying. I did notice a small whine on the way to church this morning when I plugged my phone into the charger. The sound is maybe 1% of what it used to be, but it indicates an underlying issue. It sounds silent enough to ignore until mt next head unit.
Old 04-08-12, 10:42 AM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

When you change your speakers and headunit to aftermarket stuff, ALWAYS keep the sound and power seperate..

What I did is I ran my power on one side and ran my sound wires on the other side, this will help prevent hearing the whine. I'm referring to engine whine as in, everytime you accelerate, the whine gets louder kind of thing.
Old 04-08-12, 11:22 AM
Bender25
Pole Position

Anyone who has this problem should order this- http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

It's $6 and and its a 4channel so you only need 1 to use for both amps! Had mine for over a year with zero issues
Old 04-08-12, 04:57 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

I have a similar problem, although I may need a different solution since I have a carPC and not a regular stereo setup.
I have a whining described exactly as above (that goes up and down with my rpms), that is only heard while the carPC is off. And since it takes a few seconds to boot up you hear it when you first start the car, then it goes away 99% when the computer is on. Obviously the computer completes some sort of ground and the whine goes away.
But since the linked websites say that the cause is a deeper underlying issue, I wanna fix it. Anyone have any suggestions? Ground the PC better maybe?
Old 04-09-12, 04:45 AM
indytrucks
Driver School Candidate

Grounds, grounds grounds. Proper grounds will fix almost all alt whine issues. Combined with the big 3 upgrade. Any amps being used should be grounded to the front batt. anywhere else is just half ***.

Quick Reply: No More Whining on Aftermarket Head Unit/Stereo