Sponsored by:

Weird problem, please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-02, 02:31 AM
kasper634
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weird problem, please help

Aight i got this little problem im having with my 93 gs, it seemed to happen only when its raining but it just happened again few days ago when it wasnt and the roads were dry. But when i drive and stop at a stop sign or red light but it happens only when the car is idling, the battery light comes on, the abs light comes on the track and trac off light comes on and everything dims... when i add gas it goes away, it happens a couple of times then it goes away? at one time the radio shutoff on me any ideas? please help!! thanks!
Old 11-01-02, 02:40 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

I think it is your battery, altenator, or cables.

Take it to a shop and have them test it before you blow the battery or do more damage.

MW
Old 11-01-02, 04:43 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It is probably your battery going kaput, and/or alternator failing to regulate. Take pcmw's advice!

What you're likely seeing is the voltage dropping and causing the radio to shut down, which I've seen happen in my newer GS when the battery is low. The rest of the car still runs, but weird things start happening because all of the electronics do not have the proper supply voltages. You'll get random intermittent indicators going off. It could also be a short or partial short elsewhere in the system, causing the same secondary effects.
Old 11-02-02, 12:06 AM
kasper634
Rookie

ok thanks guys for the quick respones,well i think there is a short somewhere, when i start the car the indicator on the dashboard comes up that one of my brakelights are out.. but they all seem to be wqoorking. do i have to hook it up to a diag. computer to reset it or what? also the battery i have in there is stock i dont think it has ever been replaced. whats a good quality batter that anyone recommends? i dont have a spending limit i just wanna get my car running smoothly.
Old 11-02-02, 02:17 PM
LexusDS
Driver School Candidate

Daystarter battery is pretty good it also has a 5 year warranty.
Interstate is a very reliable one also.

Good luck.
LexusDS
Old 11-04-02, 12:26 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The common battery recommended in these here threads is Optima. They make gel electrolyte batteries that even Consumer Reports rated very highly. They are more expensive however. Optima makes a Red Top, good if you have no added stereo system or other heavy drain, or a Yellow Top, better for heavy drain applications like stereos due to ability to recharge many times from deep discharge state. You can search the threads for more info on these in the threads. By the way, Optimas are not a direct fit, you may need a spacer, etc.
Other good battery is Sears DieHard Gold, made by Johnson Controls. Very good starting battery, but is not meant to be deep-cycled many times. Will cease to recharge if drained too many times by accessories.