Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

ML radio a direct swap for non ML radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-12, 05:18 AM
4DGSR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML radio a direct swap for non ML radio?

I did a search but have come up empty handed.

I was wondering if the ML radio was a direct swap for a non ML radio.

I just picked up a 09 RX 350 and want the DVD functionality without adding on a external DVD player.

Thanks
Old 04-13-12, 01:42 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4DGSR
I did a search but have come up empty handed.

I was wondering if the ML radio was a direct swap for a non ML radio.

I just picked up a 09 RX 350 and want the DVD functionality without adding on a external DVD player.

Thanks
Although I don't have any knowledge about RX but when I researched for my 2010 HS250h, I found that the head unit (not just radio) works very closely with the amp (probably underneath front passenger seat). On top of that, the amp is not just amp, it is more than that (not sure what all - I wasn't able to figure it out). When I disconnected the amp (my car doesn't have ML system) and I couldn't even change the radio station (go figure). I think it a proprietary design and no one knows the details.
In my option, the head unit, the amp, the speakers (12 for ML ,10 for standard) and the related speaker wiring go together. There's a chance that the wiring is common for ML and non-ML versions (for cost efficiency reasons). But as you can see now, an ML amp will need 2 more speakers too.
I was able to download a ton of information with a $15 2 day subscription to Toyota's Technical Information System - it may be worth that 15 dollars if you're really serious.
Old 04-15-12, 09:32 PM
4DGSR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I will look into that.
Old 07-24-13, 01:47 AM
cubbie036
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default possible answer...

Originally Posted by rajeev6
Although I don't have any knowledge about RX but when I researched for my 2010 HS250h, I found that the head unit (not just radio) works very closely with the amp (probably underneath front passenger seat). On top of that, the amp is not just amp, it is more than that (not sure what all - I wasn't able to figure it out). When I disconnected the amp (my car doesn't have ML system) and I couldn't even change the radio station (go figure). I think it a proprietary design and no one knows the details.
In my option, the head unit, the amp, the speakers (12 for ML ,10 for standard) and the related speaker wiring go together. There's a chance that the wiring is common for ML and non-ML versions (for cost efficiency reasons). But as you can see now, an ML amp will need 2 more speakers too.
I was able to download a ton of information with a $15 2 day subscription to Toyota's Technical Information System - it may be worth that 15 dollars if you're really serious.
First thanks for the advice about the Tech Info System. It was very helpful!! Doing research in there and on the web I found out more info about DVD playback in the RX350/450h. There are actually 3 or4 different radio head units. The Stock radio is a 9 speaker 6 disc CD- changer. With the comfort package you add the 12- speaker Nav. There seems to be two versons of the Nav head unit, 1 with a 6 disc - CD changer and another with a 6 disc DVD change. When I looked at parts on http://lexus.sewellparts.com It appears that those two head units (aka Radio Receiver Assembly) use the same amplifier. So in theory, if you have the same setup as I do, 12 speaker Nav with 6 disc CD- Changer, you should be able to get a 6 disc DVD changer and swap them out. If you wanted the ML you'd need to replace the radio and the amplifier. (likely not worth it) Hope that helps. Now... to find the DVD Changer version....
Old 07-29-13, 06:35 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cubbie036
First thanks for the advice about the ....
There are actually 3 or4 different radio head units. The Stock radio is a 9 speaker 6 disc CD- changer. With the comfort package you add the 12- speaker Nav. There seems to be two versons of the Nav head unit, 1 with a 6 disc - CD changer and another with a 6 disc DVD change. .....
Now... to find the DVD Changer version....
That explains!
Someone who I know, recently bought an ES350 with ML package. I was there in my Acura (with DVD-A capability) and I loaned him a DVD-A disc that he could try. Later on he told me that his system didn't recognize the disc!
I guess I got the impression because there were only 2 options in HS "Lexus Premium system" with CD and "ML" with DVD-A. Similarly, in my Acura, there're 2 options - stock system with CD or "ES" system with DVD-A capability.
Thanks for explaining and posting it here.
Yes - wonder if I can find a compatible DVD changer too!
Old 08-05-13, 12:38 PM
cubbie036
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Alt to finding a DVD Changer for video playback.

Originally Posted by rajeev6
That explains!
Someone who I know, recently bought an ES350 with ML package. I was there in my Acura (with DVD-A capability) and I loaned him a DVD-A disc that he could try. Later on he told me that his system didn't recognize the disc!
I guess I got the impression because there were only 2 options in HS "Lexus Premium system" with CD and "ML" with DVD-A. Similarly, in my Acura, there're 2 options - stock system with CD or "ES" system with DVD-A capability.
Thanks for explaining and posting it here.
Yes - wonder if I can find a compatible DVD changer too!
I am actually not going to bother with trying to find a Lexus Radio Receiver with DVD changer. I am waiting for VAIS Tech to come out with their Apple compatible version of their iVIC product. They currently have it for Android. http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php

It is pretty kick-*** and I have far more digital video than I have DVD media. It makes more sense to be able to play video off my iPhone or iPad than a DVD. (Plus you'll get better resolution) I spoke with someone in VAIS Tech support and the iVIC for Apple's iOS devices is due to launch late September 2013.

I'm not holding my breath for the date I was given, as they have been suppose to release it over a year ago. I was told they had to re-engineer it because of Apple changing to the Lightning Connector from the 30-pin connector. I have been assured that when released it will support the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. (I am inferring that it will be compatible both the new Lightning Connecter as well as the older 30-pin connector )