Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Can someone answer this ? about stock cd changer....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 08:22 PM
Dr.G
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone answer this ? about stock cd changer....

Mine broke and I'm looking to replace it and was wondering if my stock 12 disc changer could be replaced with a Nakamichi 12 disc changer without altering any wiring, etc. So basically, is the wiring harness to the cd changer from my 97 sc300 compatible with other year sc300'/400's stock and/or Nakamichi 12 disc changers?
Old 11-10-02, 02:49 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the 12 disc only compatible with 92 to 98 sc 12 disc changers. the 12 disc changer was made by matsu****a(panasonic)so has nothing to do with nakamichi 12 disc and it isnt compatible. the only part of the nakamichi system made by nakamichi was the amplifier. nakamichi only made amps for lexus through the years same as mark levinson presently.. the speakers and the headunits are all made by pioneer and the nakamichi and mark levison names were put on the speakers and headunits by pioneer at lexus request . also no aftermarket changers have been made to work directly with the headunit in place of the factory sc 12 disc. fm modulated changers are are waste of money as they do not turn on the factory nakamichi amp since they are acsessed through the fm button. only when cd button is pushed does the nakamichi amp come on at full fidelity.
Old 11-10-02, 10:56 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

The 12 disc is the same changer in both cars.

People have used the 6disc Lexus spec changer as well with no problems.

MW
Old 11-10-02, 11:14 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Default 92 to 98 sc 400 cd changer compatibility

the other lexus changers like the gs 12 disc and the es and ls 6 disc all have doors that drop open from front not the top like the sc 12 disc. the other model lexus changers could not be used in the factory sc location which has no clearance in its right quarterpanel instaltion area for a front loading cd changer. the newer glovebox changers are not compatible electronically.
Old 11-10-02, 11:38 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

lexusaudio,

No offense meant, but your writing style is difficult to follow. Are you claiming that the Nak and the Pioneer setups use different changers? You even state on one post that they are not compatible with anything. Next you come back and say they are but they don't line up. I am getting confused after reading the dozen or so posts you have made. Could you possibly spell this out in more simple prose?

Thanks

MW
Old 11-11-02, 02:46 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Default sc 12 disc

the 92 t0 98 sc only has 1 changer the panasonic made 12 disc. every sc takes the 12 disc both pioneer and nakamichi (which is determined by the brand of the amplifier) systems. as to the cause of the confusion of lexus audio systems judge for yourself. with every 1993 model using a differert cd changer and with no physically compatible radios or cd changers between models i would say lexus is the cause of the confusion. they tried to make it impossible to use other model radios and cd changers. to add to the confusion the glove box changers in the late 90s are not compatible between pioneer amplfied systems and digital nakamichi amplified systems like the early 90s models are. if my prose is the cause of the confusion and not lexus attempt at optimizing cd changer sales then excuse me.
Old 11-11-02, 12:29 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

lexusaudio,

Again, no offense, maybe you should just use capital letters at the beginning of sentences. That would be nice. No big deal thou.

In terms of laying it ALL out. I meant for you to do this.

92-00 12 disk Matsushi.ta Changer is the same. Later models had better anti-skip mechanism and updated circuits. All work with ALL models

92-95 Pioneer and Nak audio setups may be able to use GS 6disk changers. Later models do not.

92-00 Obviously, the 12disk changer is the only model that will physically mount into the stock location.

92-93 have different color lights on the stereo than later models.

MW