Sponsored by:

VAIS ML+ Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 07:07 PM
Micholz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAIS ML+ Problem

I had a friend (experienced mobile audio tech) install the ML+ in my 2007 GS450h (Nav & Mark Levinson) over the weekend. Granted he hasn't done one of these before however, he knows his way around electronics. Despite both he and I following the programming process and seeing the "Vais Tech bars" display across the top of the Nav screen, the full setup screen never displays. iPod/iPhone charge without issue. I called Tech support and we went through the setup process again but no dice...

My next course of action is to go back to my friend, have him pull apart the dash and check on the connections to the head unit while on the phone with Tech Support.

Is it possible that the ML+ unit is defective or is it more likely it's wired incorrectly? Would a bad Apple wire have anything to do with it (I had him install a used one)

Anyone have any ideas though? Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by Micholz; 05-30-12 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-30-12, 11:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

without getting into the ipod out mode, are you at least able to see the mp3 mode and able to play songs off ipod? what happens when you press and hold the SCAN button on the screen?

and to be sure, you are using iphone and/or ipod touch with ios4 right? and if iphone, it's iphone4 or above?
Old 05-31-12, 09:51 AM
Micholz
Driver School Candidate

No, other than charging, the iPhone and iPod don't send anything to the Lexus head unit.

Holding the Scan button the screen, advances the CD to the next one in the changer. I took out all of the CD's and was presented with an Aux screen that said "Aux is in play mode" but again nothing from the iPod or iPhone.

iPhone is a 4 with latest iOS. iPod is a classic so I don't expect full functionality from it but at least something should happen.
Old 05-31-12, 10:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

take out the apple component cable and replace it with a simple apple usb cable for now. plug in either the ipod or iphone. by pressing the DISC button, you should be able to cycle through the modes, meaning

factory DVD changer -> AUX (if cable connected) -> DVD MP3 mode (ipod)

if you press SCAN and it goes to next cd in the changer, you are not in ipod mode. if you take out all CDs and see AUX, what happens if you press on DISC? If it doesn't change at all, that means your ml+ is not installed right or not initialized correctly at all, of course assuming the unit / cable is not defective.

you sure the 12-pin connector at the back of the radio is plugged all the way in right? sometimes that can be the reason. and of course, there is the blue cable to the back of the navigation screen. both of them are T harnesses (i am sure your friend understands).

can you describe more how you program the unit? first of all make sure both dip switches are down and no ipod connected. connect the 12-pin cable. put the right switch up. press the start button twice, you should see nav screen up, and then a few short beeps (and see Vaistech ML+ on top of screen). then flip the left switch up, you should hear a long beep. then shut off vehicle and wait 10 secs. do make sure the beeping is enabled on the navigation otherwise you don't hear anything.

sorry if some stuff are repetitive, just trying to help
Old 05-31-12, 12:03 PM
Micholz
Driver School Candidate

Please don't apologize! You're giving me some great tips. I'll try them this evening after work. Thanks for your help. I'll update this thread as appropriate.
Old 05-31-12, 02:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

do post back, i will do what i can to help. if you have previously programmed the ml+ (even if it's to the wrong mode), reprogramming might sometimes get tricky and you might have to redo it several times. just be patient and don't give up. make sure beep is enabled and hear all the beeps to make sure it's in the right mode.

of course, there is always the chances of defective unit. just trying to see if we can debug it further from my experience when installing these
Old 05-31-12, 06:57 PM
Micholz
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=rominl;7267542]take out the apple component cable and replace it with a simple apple usb cable for now. plug in either the ipod or iphone. by pressing the DISC button, you should be able to cycle through the modes, meaning factory DVD changer -> AUX (if cable connected) -> DVD MP3 mode (ipod)

Replaced apple component with simple apple usb: iPhone began charging but did nothing else. Pressing the DISC button did not cycle through the modes.

if you press SCAN and it goes to next cd in the changer, you are not in ipod mode. if you take out all CDs and see AUX, what happens if you press on DISC? If it doesn't change at all, that means your ml+ is not installed right or not initialized correctly at all, of course assuming the unit / cable is not defective.

SCAN does indeed make the next CD in line play. When taking out all CDs, the Aux screen appears, pushing DISC does nothing.

you sure the 12-pin connector at the back of the radio is plugged all the way in right? sometimes that can be the reason. and of course, there is the blue cable to the back of the navigation screen. both of them are T harnesses (i am sure your friend understands).

My friend is available next Wednesday to take apart the dash and look at the back of the unit as well as the VAIS connections. I will print this out so he knows what to check.

can you describe more how you program the unit? first of all make sure both dip switches are down and no ipod connected. connect the 12-pin cable. put the right switch up. press the start button twice, you should see nav screen up, and then a few short beeps (and see Vaistech ML+ on top of screen). then flip the left switch up, you should hear a long beep. then shut off vehicle and wait 10 secs. do make sure the beeping is enabled on the navigation otherwise you don't hear anything.

I followed your programming instructions to the letter. It did help to have the beeping enabled it was previously turned off I heard the few short beeps and saw the Vaistech ML+ on top of screen BUT never heard a long beep. Hmmmm
Old 05-31-12, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

after hearing few short beeps, you flip the left switch to UP as well (so now both switches up) but you did not hear any beep (long or short)? if you don't hear this, something sounds odd.

and once programming is done, make sure you shut off the car and completely and wait about 10 seconds then start the car, before plugging in ipod/iphone
Old 06-03-12, 09:23 PM
glassmanj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

regretfully, i tried to install VML in my 2006 400h today and now i've made the stereo not have any sound. i heard the long beep but never heard the short beeps after that. did procedure anyways and the volume dial no longer works and i have no sound whatsoever. i tried unpluggng everything and reinstalled and nothing. i disconnected VML completely and jsut reinstalled radio and no volume at all, no sound. dial does nothing. all other functions work but volume stays at zero no matter what i do. total bummer. looks like i'm gonna have to get the beatsonic rx-82 and a completely new stereo if vais tech doesn't solve tomorrow.
Old 06-04-12, 02:10 AM
Micholz
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by glassmanj
regretfully, i tried to install VML in my 2006 400h today and now i've made the stereo not have any sound. i heard the long beep but never heard the short beeps after that. did procedure anyways and the volume dial no longer works and i have no sound whatsoever. i tried unpluggng everything and reinstalled and nothing. i disconnected VML completely and jsut reinstalled radio and no volume at all, no sound. dial does nothing. all other functions work but volume stays at zero no matter what i do. total bummer. looks like i'm gonna have to get the beatsonic rx-82 and a completely new stereo if vais tech doesn't solve tomorrow.
Oh man! That's terrible! Let me know how things go. Are they having quality control issues at Vais Tech or is this a freak coincidence?
Old 06-04-12, 10:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow, this is really odd. you sure all the harnesses are plugged back in right?!
Old 06-05-12, 08:40 AM
VaisTech
Club Lexus Vendor

Originally Posted by glassmanj
This problem was solved. It was a bad car battery which caused the problems. Once glassmanj exchanged and charged the battery everything went back to normal.
Old 06-05-12, 01:22 PM
Micholz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
after hearing few short beeps, you flip the left switch to UP as well (so now both switches up) but you did not hear any beep (long or short)? if you don't hear this, something sounds odd.

and once programming is done, make sure you shut off the car and completely and wait about 10 seconds then start the car, before plugging in ipod/iphone

Success! I tried one more time before bothering my friend to take apart the dash and I got the ML+ to program successfully. Unfortunately, while in the setup screen I went into CD-MP3 Emulation Mode and now cannot get back into Video Graphics Mode. Can anyone give me a hint what to do?
Old 06-05-12, 05:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Micholz
Success! I tried one more time before bothering my friend to take apart the dash and I got the ML+ to program successfully. Unfortunately, while in the setup screen I went into CD-MP3 Emulation Mode and now cannot get back into Video Graphics Mode. Can anyone give me a hint what to do?
press and hold on SCAN on screen?