Need help for dash speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-12, 04:30 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help for dash speakers

I have a ES08 UL that i've modified the audio system :

1. Aftermarket sub with own amplifier in the trunk.
2. Swapped the front doors 6x9 speakers with Infinity kappa perfect 5.1 woofers.

Now, i want to do something about the dash speakers to improve the front stage. I have a set of tweeters with xovers laying around (infinity perfect kappa). My question is if i can simply remplace the new tweeters to the oem one using the same wires. I can add my own xovers to the system or that the ML already has a crossover intégrated.

I confused about that.
Old 06-06-12, 08:39 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My experience

As far as I know, ML systems are 8 channel systems and they should be configured for front tweeters. In this case, you should be able to replace the front tweeters with your Infinity ones.

I've 2010 HS250h with Premium Audio (that's what they called ) but not ML. It had 3 speakers in the dash (including a center one), and a 6.5" in each of the front doors. On the rear doors, it had 6.5" and a 1" tweeter. Here's my experience -
When I upgraded all the 4 door speakers with JBL components, I noticed that the tweeters in the dash were being fed from a connector near 6.5" speakers on the front doors (disconnect certain wires and the tweeter would stop playing).
I didn't know how to get to the speakers in the dash and didn't want to mess with the interiors. I just had the tweeters (from the front component sets) installed close to the front 6.5" speakers. (I'll try getting to the front speaker - some day ).
I think they're using a simple capacitor, either on that connector near the front door speakers or on the tweeter itself to block bass from reaching the dash tweeters. This is what I saw in the OEM speaker on the rear doors.
If this is what you see in your car, you can always replace OEM tweeter with the Infinity ones. however, if it was me, I'd also want to use Infinity Xover to get the best sound.
If you're able to take the front tweeters out, you should be able to see if there's a capacitor on it. If not, check the front doors again. If you do have the connector there, which is feeding the tweeters, take that output and connect to a full range (any speaker lying around) and see what you hear. If you hear only treble, that means the connector has some kind of filter/xover. In this case, replace the connector with the Infinity xover.
The way they run the wiring, I don't think they'd have a crossover somewhere in between.
If you're in doubt and don't want to take any chances, I'd recommend you spend $15 for a 2-day subscription to Toyota's Technical Information System and download your car's audio system details as well as diagrams.
I'd be interested in hearing what you find out, especially how you're able to get to the dash speakers - post pics if you can.
Good Luck.