Sponsored by:

HU Guru's Chime in! Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 07:54 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Default HU Guru's Chime in! Reverse Camera

Ive had my z130bt for a while and recently have been itching to put a reverse camera in.

From what I can see from the website, there is the ND-BC5 Universal camera and the ND-BC20PA. What parts would I need to buy in order to do the install?

Which one do you all use and how intensive is the wiring of the reverse camera and how did you all mount it?

For some reason tried searching everywhere and there's not that much information on the how, what, etc.
Old 06-10-12, 12:08 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what it looks like u don't need any more parts other then the camera. Only 3 wires to connect too, 12V ignition, ground, and video.
Old 06-10-12, 12:19 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rgarjr

From what it looks like u don't need any more parts other then the camera. Only 3 wires to connect too, 12V ignition, ground, and video.
So it looks like I would go with the nd-bc5.

That camera is currently going for ~150.

Do you have the same set up?
Old 06-10-12, 10:11 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

you'll need to locate the reverse trigger wire in the vehicle also.. so cam kicks in reverse. looks like u have a gen2 gs.. so it should be:

red/black (+) driver kick, white 20 pin plug, pin 1

http://www.directechs.com/timages/t_rlight_3050.jpg
Old 06-10-12, 11:27 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

did you both have to rip apart your interior to run the camera to the back? which is the cleanliest easiest way to do this?
Old 06-10-12, 04:01 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

from trunk lid down pass side of vehicle.. back seat needs to come out as well as door sill plates on pass side.. under dash (or behind glove box) to radio rear...try to follow factory wires so no damage is incurred comin down trunk lid as its a moving part thats where damage my come from..take ur time
Old 06-10-12, 04:47 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
from trunk lid down pass side of vehicle.. back seat needs to come out as well as door sill plates on pass side.. under dash (or behind glove box) to radio rear...try to follow factory wires so no damage is incurred comin down trunk lid as its a moving part thats where damage my come from..take ur time
Do u have any pictures of the install, a DIY or finished picture products?

Looking on doing this very soon. I am picking up the camera for 130
Old 06-10-12, 05:14 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

I picked up this camera. For 20 bucks not bad and if it goes bad or gets stolen, its 20 bucks. So far no fogging, and works great both daytime and at night.

Amazon Amazon

I have an SC but I assume wiring going to be the same.

I ran the wire from inside the bumper through one of the license plate lights and to the camera, then the wire runs from the camera into the trunk (under the carpets) through one of the openings to inside the car and from under the seats through to the front under the carper which can be accessed by removing one of the side things plastics and tuck it under the carpet with the rest of the factory wires. Then from behind the cockpit into the center console and into the radio.

As far as connecting the signal wire you can splice the reverse light + wire (usually red/green) and the other end to the appropriate wire on the HU and set the settings to receive signal from battery. Alternatively (if your HU supports it) you can connect the signal wire to the GROUND of the reverse light (usually white with black stripe or just white) and set the settings on the HU to ground.

Ill try to take some pics later on or tomorrow and post them.

GL
Old 06-10-12, 08:37 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

i think i would rather get the nd-bc5 it seems more legit!

for those of you that spliced the reverse wire, doesn't this mean you can't see your cam while your driving (I wanna be able to do this)
Old 06-10-12, 09:11 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

It depends on what you want it for. Reverse camera connect to reverse light 12v+ wire. If you want it to be on at all times then connect the end of the signal wire to a constant 12v+ source (such as remote). You might have to run a wire coming from the front that carries 12v+ (such as remote wire from the HU) or if you have a subwoofer and already have a wire running from there, share it with the camera wire while the other end meets the reverse wire from the HU harness as mentioned before.

When I say constant I dont mean the yellow constant wire. I mean a 12v+ that is on when the car is on. Be sure that the 12v+ source disconnects when the car is off to prevent a dead battery or worse, setting the car on fire.

Then play with the settings of the HU to find out how to display the camera on command (it will automatically display it upon reverse if you set camera polarity settings to battery nonetheless).

If my description is a little confusing let me know and I will draw you diagrams.
Old 06-10-12, 09:18 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

im basically trying to have the camera go into reverse when i put the car in reverse AND whenever i hit the camera function on my avic i wanna be able to see the camera too.
Old 06-10-12, 09:31 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

On a second thought, that is not possible on the avic because when the reverse wire on the HU harness is receiving power, it will simply keep the camera on all the time (thinking that you are reversing as long as its getting power). The only thing I can think of is to use it EITHER as a reverse camera or a camera. Cant have both unless you consider manually turning the camera on every time you reverse as having em both.
Old 06-10-12, 10:05 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

IIRC, there is a button on the avic that will enable you to view the camera while you are driving.

I forgot where it was but was playing with my HU the other day and came across it.
Old 06-11-12, 06:09 AM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
IIRC, there is a button on the avic that will enable you to view the camera while you are driving.

I forgot where it was but was playing with my HU the other day and came across it.
That is true, but camera will be blank as it receives no power if its connected to reverse light.

The only thing I can think off is to supply 12v+ to the camera and not connect it to reverse hu wire and switch it on manually or add a switch or button in the car which is also manual.

Let me explain. Reverse wire on the hu harness sends a signal to hu to start displaying the camera input as soon as it receives power which is what also powers on the camera. The other end that goes to the reverse light is what supplies the power. To have the camera on at all times ull need to supply power to the camera constantly which will lead to 1 of 2 outcomes:
1) if the hu end is connected to hu reverse wire, camera stays on all the time and hu is practically unusable.
2) if hu end is NOT connected to hu reverse wire then ull have to turn the camera output on from the hu everytime u wanna see it

A possible solution is to have a power supply from a constant source that will shut off when cars off and connect to reverse wire and install a switch in between so every time u wanna see the camera u switch it on using button/switch.

There are no other possible outcomes.
Old 06-11-12, 07:40 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

What a stupid design on their part?

Thanks for really breaking it down for me.

I definitely don't want any additional switch in my car just for the reverse cam (IMO it's super tacky!) I want to be able to control everything through the HU (which is should be).

Out of the two options manually turning it on would be the better one for me since I wanna be able to use the camera at all times. But then again this has prOblems within itself (load time, having to manually turn on the cam through HU, etc. )

Just wish there was a way to a accommodate the two!

Quick Reply: HU Guru's Chime in! Reverse Camera