Subwoofer suddenly is at a low volume

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-12, 12:03 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Should I leave it how it is? Or do I have to adjust it according to the amp settings?
You adjust it according to the amp (the Lexus amp, not your amp, but that should be adjusted for the output from the LOC). Since the factory amp is rated for 80W, I would suggest bumping up the level significantly. You can always turn down the input side on your sub amp (from the LOC) to match the output level you are looking for. This allows the LOC to put enough resistance in line with the factory amp to not cook itself and output a clean signal.

To do it properly, you really need an oscilloscope, but it can be done manually by listening with volume up about 3/4 of the way and adjusting the amp (again, your amp, not the Lex one since there are no adjustments on it) to not distort it's output to your sub. It helps to have a trustworthy friend control the volume while you adjust the amp, otherwise you're bouncing in and out of the car, but it is doable.

And yes, Scosche has great customer service. I expected nothing less. And also - you're welcome. Glad to help.

Big Mack
Old 06-22-12, 02:25 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Alright I just received another schosche that I order from amazon. Their warranty only last 3 months and I had it for 6 months so no dice.

So I should adjust to the same angle of LOC to the amp? If anything I'll just bump the LOC up to half way and run with it. I don't believe the setting on my amp is too high (gain) its maybe at half or a little bit less than that. I have no clue what is a oscilloscope, hah not really an audio guy myself. Maybe I'll pull the amp and readjust it tonight.

Lets hope that the LOC is the reason why my sub isn't hitting as hard, I really do miss the bump.
Old 06-23-12, 12:32 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Turns out the new LOC does the same thing. Now i am just thinking its my RCA cable.

I hooked up a RCA to 3.5mm jack straight to the amp and my phone and it bumps. Sigh I can't return the LOC either, time to source a cable.
Old 06-23-12, 02:21 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

So I should adjust to the same angle of LOC to the amp? If anything I'll just bump the LOC up to half way and run with it. I don't believe the setting on my amp is too high (gain) its maybe at half or a little bit less than that. I have no clue what is a oscilloscope, hah not really an audio guy myself. Maybe I'll pull the amp and readjust it tonight.
Your amp likely does not have the same gain structure as the LOC, so matching them won't be setting them correctly. It sounds (no pun intended) like you have the gain setting on the amp incorrect, and I know you have the LOC set up incorrectly. Please re-read what I wrote (I copied it below).

Turns out the new LOC does the same thing. Now i am just thinking its my RCA cable.

I hooked up a RCA to 3.5mm jack straight to the amp and my phone and it bumps. Sigh I can't return the LOC either, time to source a cable.
See above. Before sourcing a new cable, and since you already have the LOC, it may be worth trying, but if nothing else changed, you may be on to something with the cable. Nice thing is, they're not terribly expensive.

Originally Posted by Big Mack
it can be done manually by listening with volume up about 3/4 of the way and adjusting the amp (again, your amp, not the Lex one since there are no adjustments on it) to not distort it's output to your sub. It helps to have a trustworthy friend control the volume while you adjust the amp, otherwise you're bouncing in and out of the car, but it is doable.
To set the LOC, it should almost be maxed out if you listen to it loud quite often. The amp is rated for about 80W, and that's the outer limit of the LOC. Better safe than sorry with that. Then follow the instructions above for setting the amp.

Big Mack
Old 06-26-12, 12:58 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Alright well, I adjusted the LOC and still no dice, sourced a RCA from a friend and still nothing.

What i'm guessing now is that my wires touched and shorted, possibly the cause of the low volume. I checked the radio fuse hoping it would do something but none of them are blown. The next thing i'm going to have to do is get a multivolt meter and check the output of the wires to see if it is putting out a full signal.

Or I can tap into a door speaker and see if that does anything. Sigh.