Sponsored by:

Subwoofer suddenly is at a low volume

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 02:52 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Subwoofer suddenly is at a low volume

Well I just got a alignment, and my sub was working before it and on the way home I realized no bass!

I'm running JL 500/1v2 with a 12w3v3 with a line out converter.

All my wires are in working order and the sub still hits but its barely noticeable. If I turn up my bass it hits a little bit harder. I am thinking the only thing that I can think of is the LOC.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-10-12, 03:45 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

check fuse under hood for good connection if its a glass AGU fuse replace it (even if it looks good) they go bad fairly regularly.. make sure the ground is good an secure..chk amp settings
Old 06-10-12, 05:09 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Thats the first thing I thought about, but its still transmitting power so should be good? I'll double check with my spare tonight.

Oh also I notice a funny thing.. I have OEM navigation and when I went to adjust the bass/treble/mids I couldnt. I pressed up and down arrows and nothing happened at all.
Old 06-10-12, 05:16 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

disconnect your battery ground for like 30 seconds to reset everything.
Old 06-10-12, 06:09 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

I tried that as well. I got the adjustment settings back, but the sub is still considerably weak.
Old 06-10-12, 08:20 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Alright I did both and still no go. Still thinking it could be the LOC or possibly my battery is not putting out enough juice?
Old 06-10-12, 08:34 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your amp should have an indicator that says whether amp security is kicking in or not. Usually a red light. As long as it comes on you probably dont have a problem with the amp itself. However test power by connecting it solely to a spare battery (borrow a friend's) and see if that works out. Also check the power wire tips (remote and hot) if they are stiff or breaking off. Do the same with speaker wires. Check the RCA wires if they are connected correctly to both ends.

If all that checks out, borrow a friends amp and try it. If it works fine then you may have an internal problem which could go from a half hour soldering work to dumping it in the trash and buying a new one. Let us know of your outcomes.

I know how frustrating this can be as I am having amp problems on my own and its shorting out due to shorted transistors (which isnt the case here). GL
Old 06-11-12, 12:22 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Amp is working fine, the light is green as how it always was. Everything works just at a lower volume. I am really believing it could be the LOC cause I heard they crap out. I had it for about 6+ months?

I did a little research and it seems like another person had the same issue, most people suspect the LOC
http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...d-problem.html
Old 06-14-12, 12:41 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Alright I read a post about testing out sub/amps

Just get an RCA that has a 3.5mm jack. Plug RCA into the amp and the 3.5 into your ipod/phone and play a song if it thumps then its still good. Looks like it is either my RCA cables or my LOC. But I doubt the RCA cables would go bad.
Old 06-16-12, 10:15 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Just get an RCA that has a 3.5mm jack. Plug RCA into the amp and the 3.5 into your ipod/phone and play a song if it thumps then its still good. Looks like it is either my RCA cables or my LOC. But I doubt the RCA cables would go bad.
What LOC are you using? If it's not rated for enough power, it may have finally bitten the dust...

Big Mack
Old 06-16-12, 02:59 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Mack
What LOC are you using? If it's not rated for enough power, it may have finally bitten the dust...

Big Mack
Most likely I think that is what happen also. I'm not sure how much power it can handle. I got this one

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-16-12, 03:09 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Most likely I think that is what happen also. I'm not sure how much power it can handle. I got this one
That unit is rated for 80 WPC, so it may have failed prematurely since I've used (and recommended) numerous times and not blown one up. Scosche stands behind their products, so I would check to see what they would say, too. As always, when using a unit such as this, adjusting the unit to accept the proper amount of signal is important, too.

Big Mack
Old 06-16-12, 04:41 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Of course, the gain was set to how it was out of the box. I sent them an email and am currently waiting for their response. If anything i'll just pick another one up since its only $11.
Old 06-17-12, 10:04 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Of course, the gain was set to how it was out of the box.
Ah, but that could be the very problem. If you are at the extreme end of the power rating (you didn't say if you hooked it up to the sub out, but I'm supposing you did based on the fact you stated you raised the bass up), you needed to adjust it up to compensate for that high powered input. From the box, it was probably set more modestly (it's not really set, it's just assembled), so if/when you get the new one, be sure to adjust accordingly.

Big Mack
Old 06-19-12, 11:35 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Thanks Big Mack, I appreciate your feedback. Scosche has good service as well, unfortunately I do not have the warranty papers anymore. But this is what they said,

Dear valued Scosche customer,

Thank you for contacting our Company and we appreciate the opportunity to resolve this difficulty.
Please feel free to forward the Scosche Item, a copy of the Purchase-Receipt and the attached Warranty-Authorization-Form to the address that is indicated on the attached Warranty-Authorization-Form.
A warranty replacement product will be shipped within 48 hrs of receiving the Scosche item.
We are grateful for your continued support of our Company.
Best regards,

I have one coming in on Sunday or Monday. So How would I adjust it accordingly, I have my HU(OEM nav) set to the middle. Should I leave it how it is? Or do I have to adjust it according to the amp settings?

Quick Reply: Subwoofer suddenly is at a low volume