Sponsored by:

stock audio info needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-02, 07:38 AM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool stock audio info needed

I'm thinking of swapping the stock head unit for a MP3 player on a '92 SC4. Couple questions:

1) Anyone know the specs of the stock speakers cuz I don't wanna blow them with a new head and don't have $$$ right now for new speakers, maybe later. Or any problems you forsee with other hardware when doing just a head swap?

2) The actual head swap. I'm sure many have done this so can someone send me info on the process, maybe in a previous post? Do I need to take apart the entire console including the gear shifter? Do I just match up the color wires or is there something tricky in these cars? Is the antenna wire connector pretty much standard? Is the amp connected to the stock head with RCA cables or something else?

I've only done such a swap on a much older car with a wiring harness so please excuse me if these questions seem basic. Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-11-02, 09:07 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

1) Anyone know the specs of the stock speakers cuz I don't wanna blow them with a new head and don't have $$$ right now for new speakers, maybe later. Or any problems you forsee with other hardware when doing just a head swap?
My suggestion would be to swap the speakers first to higher quality before touching the head unit. The head unit is decent at least, the speakers are *****... in my experience anyway...

The actual head swap. I'm sure many have done this so can someone send me info on the process, maybe in a previous post? Do I need to take apart the entire console including the gear shifter? Do I just match up the color wires or is there something tricky in these cars? Is the antenna wire connector pretty much standard? Is the amp connected to the stock head with RCA cables or something else?
All I did was remove the centre console section. Yes you need to remove the shifter. I've explained this process, so if you want detailed instructions do a search for centre console and see what that brings up, but in general, all you do is:
- SHIFTER: Slide down sleeve, undo 2 bolts
- CUP HOLDER: Open and pull out
- SHIFTER TRIM SURROUND: Open ashtray and lift panel off carefully. May need slight force to pop it out. Unplug both connectors
- SCREWS: 6 screws to remove, 2 under cup holder and 4 under shifter panel
- CENTRE CONSOLE SECTION: Pulls out, unplug the connectors and remember which goes where
- A/C and HU CAGE: All 1 cage, unscrew in each corner

... and it's out!

Hope that helps!

Jose

Last edited by BLK13X; 11-11-02 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-11-02, 06:23 PM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Thanks, Jose. That's helps a bunch with the installation process. The reason I'm doing the head unit before the speakers is because I actually have one in hand and I'm just itching to put it in.
Old 11-11-02, 10:47 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default the stock speakers

Stock speakers can handle a bit of power. I had my head unit and amp hooked up to the stock spkrs for a week until I changed them and they handled 50watts RMS no problem.

Tim
Old 11-12-02, 04:31 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wiring harness outlined here: http://www.intellexual.net/faqframes.html
Old 11-12-02, 06:19 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by jalex
Thanks, Jose. That's helps a bunch with the installation process. The reason I'm doing the head unit before the speakers is because I actually have one in hand and I'm just itching to put it in.
No problem Jalex! I know what you mean, as I had my Pioneer head unit before I got speakers! (long story).

Stock speakers can handle a bit of power. I had my head unit and amp hooked up to the stock spkrs for a week until I changed them and they handled 50watts RMS no problem.
Tim, I never got the chance to wire up the stock speakers to the new amp I've got, but after putting in the Pioneer speakers/sub combo it sounds that much better. The stockies were blown when I got my car, which is why I give them so much ****e... hehe
Old 11-13-02, 01:58 AM
jalex
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Thanks for all you peeps' help in this. I did the stereo swap today and short of replacing a fuse, everything went ok. (The fuse was an aftermarket mod in the head unit wires)

Just to add to the info already out there by Soarer_25GTT, the climate control/stereo cage has 4 screws in the 4 corners and also 2 10mm bolts on either side near the back. I used a socket wrench for these but I believe the fasteners are plastic so be careful not to rip the tread.

I'm cruisin' with MP3s now... SWEET!