Sponsored by:

GS Install Pics Posted

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 03:35 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking GS Install Pics Posted

I've just uploaded 20 or so of my GS400 install pics from summer 2002 onto the ClubLexus Member Galleries section, for anyone who might be interested.
The intention of the install was to be relatively stealthy, with amps and speakers hidden and in stock locations, and also maintaining as much trunk space as possible, since the car is a daily driver.
The entire install was done by me personally. I'm not a pro installer, so no fancy fiberglass work. Many things were done to keep vibration to a minimum and maintain optimum audio quality, given the stock locations.
Thanks to Percy for "the book", very helpful so that I was able to take the car apart delicately instead of with a hatchet. Thanks to Dex's install pics for subwoofer inspiration, and many others for timely advice.
Once again, taking an MD100 tweeter completely apart without ever having done it before, and making sure that it's still going to play good audio when yer done, is not my idea of a fun thing to do on a weekend. :-)
Attached here is one example of the completed center console.
Attached Thumbnails GS Install Pics Posted-console_weq-and-clarionsirius2.jpg  
Old 11-13-02, 07:53 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enginyr, Did you put any Dynamat on the plastic rear deck piece? I figure the IDMAX would hit so hard that EVERYTHING would rattle.
Couple more questions:
How are you sealing the area between the box and the rear deck?

Did you try listeing to the sub when it's not firing directly into the port? If so how big of a difference is there? I know I've PMed you about it a few months ago..just thought the info would help some people...

Boy, that magnet sure is deep, it's almost all the way to the ledge.....
Old 11-14-02, 12:09 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Andrew:
NO Dynamat on the rear deck piece. I planned for it, but I did not need it. I thought for sure that the deck cover and grille would be slamming into the windshield, but because the woofer fires thru the grille only, the grille is transparent enough so that the airflow doesn't vibrate the grille excessively. It never touches the rear windshield. I'm sure however, that some Dynamat would reduce the vibrations even more, and is prob something I should do anyway.

I did not seal between the box and rear deck. I designed it so that the woofer is so close the the opening that sealing it off is insignificant. (It's so close, I had to bend the rim of the hole out of the way to allow for the max excursion.) I was going to use a couple of sheets of 1/2 " styrofoam, but when I cut it and tried to keep it in place, I could see that it was going to be messy and wasn't going to work well (if you look at the geometry of the box you can see why this is the case - in some places around the woofer, there's only about a 1/2" of box).

Yeah, when I just put the box in the trunk before bolting it up, it vibrates everything more and is sonically much more messy. The bass gets more peaky and muddy. If you're planning a similar install where the box sits on the back ledge and the woof is far below the hole, it really should be sealed off.

I left about an inch, maybe a little more, between the back of the magnet and the interior bottom of the box. Matt from ID said that this would be enough. I was worried about choking the woofer airflow off, but I don't think it is a problem.

I see that you're waiting for the 10" IDMAX.

Jerry.
Old 11-14-02, 02:31 PM
johnp66
Rookie

Jerry, this is an outstanding photo package. Upgrading my speakers and amps this weekend and my worst nightmare is an installer with no expereince on a GS400. But even an experienced tech should see these photos before they touch a GS. My Epson 1280 will be busy tonight printing every one of them. I already have Scott's install printed out, and will pull down bananags' stuff when I can get on his website. But your photos are large and the detail is exceptional. Also, I wasn't quite sure what my installer would try to do with my Arc EQ. I'd love see what you could do crafting a faceplate for a replacement head unit. Congrats on your install and I appreciate your posting those photos. -- John

Last edited by johnpsc; 11-14-02 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-14-02, 02:54 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Thanks for the compliments, John.
You may want to get a copy of Percy's GS Audio Primer (install book) which has provided guidance for many of us.

If you're doing new MDF baffles to replace the stock enclosures, they must be sealed with caulking material, which you'll see in the photos. What you can't see is the strip caulk that is UNDER the panel, put in place before the panel was installed. The caulking that is seen is a secondary strip along the outside edge.

Don't forget to have your installer put sound deadening material in the doors. It will make a world of difference, especially in the rear doors.
Old 11-14-02, 11:00 PM
johnp66
Rookie

Thanks for the advice on the MDF and caulk. I've printed out your post as well as 21 8x10s of the photos. Got Scott's stuff in the folder, too.

You're absolutely right about Percy's book. Thought I wouldn't need it because I was hiring an installer. Underestimated how few GS4s these guys see. For anyone taking on an upgrade, get The Book, especially if someone else is doing the install.

And, I guess I'll hang on to what few dollars remain to salvage this operation if something goes wrong. And I've got to install my Borlas in the morning. (Is there an end to this madness?) Big weekend ahead!
Old 11-15-02, 10:55 AM
Tom_ES300
Rookie

How do we get hold of Percy's book?

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-15-02, 11:51 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

You can PM Percy, he'll give you the details.
IF you search for 'primer', you may find the threads that pertain to 'the book'.
Old 11-25-02, 12:38 AM
docrings
Rookie

Did you have to cut into the stock AC/heat ductwork behind the ashtray to install the Sirrius unit/EQ?
Old 11-25-02, 02:46 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

how da heck did you attach such a big pics
Old 11-25-02, 11:56 AM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

docrings:

No cutting into what was behind the ashtray - it took a lot of measuring and fitting.

The Sirius unit is not deep, so no problem. It's just a faceplate control unit for the tuner in the rear of the car. I just made a wood block that sits behind it to support the painted MDF faceplate that holds the Sirius unit.

The EQ is another matter, however. I wound up using Monster Cable right-angle RCAs on all eight RCA connectors so that I could get the unit recessed enough to be even with the headunit. (The Nakamichi headunit is almost perfectly flat underneath, and provides a nice mounting surface for the EQ.)