Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

autodim rearview mirror retrofit possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 05:09 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default autodim rearview mirror retrofit possibility?

Hey everyone,
I have a 93 sc300 and had to get a replacement interior rearview mirror for it. The stock wiring harness has only 2 wires, positive and negative. My new mirror must be from a newer model because it has 4 wires. I am assuming the extra two wires are to control the autodim on the new mirror.
Does anyone know any way to make this work?
I figured it can't be done (probably need some control unit for the extra 2 wires?), but you never know what many minds can come up with:>.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Old 12-13-02, 04:25 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually need an answer to this same question. Does anyone know?
Old 12-13-02, 10:54 AM
Lvangundy

Maybe try the dimming mirror from a 90-92 LS400.

Those years didm't have the auto light sensor that controlled the dimmer. There is a button you have to manually push to turn the dim function on or off.

I'd like a mirror with the electronic compass in it. Like the new Lex's
Old 12-13-02, 01:49 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, again without overanalyzing, or sounding uppity (Percy made me scared to post...)

Usually the circuitry is onboard the mirror itself. 2 of the wires are obviously power and ground...

The other two could be a disable feature (usually when car is in reverse, aftermarket autodim mirrors will not dim until a different gear is selected) and often times there is an output to the other side mirrors...

When you get your mirror, you might want to hook up power and ground (if you know what those are) and see if there is any output on either of the pins...if so, check to see if one of the outputs is variable depending on lighting conditions (ie put your finger on the forward facing sensor, this will make the forward sensor think its night while the rear facing sensor sees a plethora of light/daylight). Check to see if the other line has any power off of it at all...if not, then this is probably some type of input.

Did the mirror not come with any instructions? I wish it were easier to find wire diagrams of our systems...

The
Old 12-13-02, 04:56 PM
Lvangundy

I think the sensors are conented to one of those wires. If you look right above the mirror itself on the windshield there is a 3x3" (or so) set of wires (looks like defog wires)or a sensor that detect light.

Maybe on the newer ones the sensor is built into the mirror case itself. Otherwsie I think the sensor is on the actual glass.
Old 12-13-02, 05:36 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Lvangundy
I think the sensors are conented to one of those wires. If you look right above the mirror itself on the windshield there is a 3x3" (or so) set of wires (looks like defog wires)or a sensor that detect light.

Maybe on the newer ones the sensor is built into the mirror case itself. Otherwsie I think the sensor is on the actual glass.
Really? I'm thinking there would have to be 2 sensors...one in the front, and one in the rear then (at least front facing/rear facing), if they're not built into the module itself...

I guess the daylight sensor could be built onto the glass, but the dimming sensor I'd think would need to be as close to the mirror (rear facing) as possible...

Tim
Old 12-13-02, 06:56 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default two

There ware two sensors, one in front and one in back. As soon as I fix my multimeter (at least one blown resistor), I'll do some voltage testing and experiments like the ones posted above.

Tim