Sponsored by:

Massive Ls400 install

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 03:01 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive Ls400 install

I am using a good local shop here to install 3 Boston Pro subwoofers in the rear deck in my Ls400. I am contemplating anything else that needs to be done in the install. I have two of my biggest amps hanging on the inside of the trunk lid. I was going to mount them on the new box inide the trunk. The box will be sealed with 1 ft^3 per chamber. It should only hang down about 6 inches. With the gas tank and trunk spring in the way, it is going to be a NIGHTMARE. It took me 3 months to find a place I trust. Also, my processor is in the armrest in the center of the seat. I am wondering if I should move that as well. Any ideas????
Old 11-14-02, 06:40 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck, it's not an easy install. I would use some more powerful subs then bostons though.

You will loose the tension bars on your rear deck so you would have to use some aftermarket shocks to lift your trunk lead.

There is not much space on the rear deck since the gas tank takes up a lot of room. Also a box would look weird hanging from the rear deck. See if they can make you plexi boxes so you could see the magnets of your subs. Always a good visual effect
Old 11-14-02, 10:01 PM
zxlr8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Bostons tend to take a long time to break in but they sound really accurate. I know you like other subs, but it is a really nice warm sound. Very close to my 18" Bag End and Velodyne at home. They have been running for 18 months with no problems. I looked at velodynes for the car and alumapros. I was real close to buying perfects as well. I guess it is all a matter of opinion as I am about +1.9 db and -.5 db over the 120 hz and below range. This is of course a really neutrel stting on my processor with no boost on parametric in the subs. I was pretty impressed. Any ideas on the trunk cross bar(spring). I was thinking about plexi but just don't know if it is worth it for the extra $150. This should all look sweet when done and the car is scheduled in the shop for 9 hours.:eek:
Old 11-23-02, 10:40 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, you mentioned on another posting that you lost a bit of chassis stiffness by cutting away so much of your rear deck. Given the wide tires on the 17" MKW S9 rims on zxlr8's car, that might become an area of concern for him, too once those woofs go in. Maybe schedule another hour of labor to weld in some reinforcement tubing.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 11-23-02 at 10:43 PM.