Sponsored by:

feed for amplified bass tube?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-02, 05:51 PM
rloebclublexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feed for amplified bass tube?

Hi, I am on a budget (time and money) and am definitely not an audiophile. I just want a little extra bass for friday & sat. nights. that said, I would like to add an amplified bass tube (probably 10" bazooka) to my 98 gs400. I already have power i can tap into, as I installed a mobile ham radio about a year ago. But where do I tap into for audio feed for the amp of the bass tube? can i simply tap into the feed for the woofer in the trunk, which I assume contains the lower end hz. feed from the stock head?
also, if i get an unamplified tube, and a cheapo amp to drive it, what do i need to be aware of in terms of inputs/specs of the amp so i don't damage the stock system or blow the cheap amp.
again, this is a KISS project, that will probably be removed when i eventually sell the car, not a real audio upgrade. just maybe $150-$250 and a half hour for a little extra rumble on the weekends.
thanks for any help
Old 11-15-02, 08:39 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

First, you cannot tap the low level amp input on a GS... you have to tap the existing subwoofer high level output.

To tap the output, just use a high level converter if the bozo tube doesn't have a converter built in. You can do this directly at the subwoofer terminals.

Second, you will most likely need a larger gauge wire than the ham radio used. I would suggest pulling a 8ga or 10ga wire.

Lastly, if you want simple, try getting the amp built in.

MW
Old 11-15-02, 09:18 PM
rloebclublexus
Driver School Candidate

maybe this is a dumb question, but the sub then is the single speaker in the middle behind the rear passenger's head rests...right?

And then that should be high-level at the terminals, right? So I should make sure that any amp, built in otherwise, can handle high level?

Thanks for the tip on the guage, I ran a much heaver guage than needed, I don't remember exactly how thick (I think 10) but I'll check before I do anything else. But you mean for power only, the feed from the existing sub to the new amp doesn't need to be that thick right? well i guess better safe than sorry.

thanks