Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Popping from an Amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-02, 06:36 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1) Sounds like your installer is a bonehead. He should already know how to do the things that Banana has suggested to isolate your problem.
2) What Tim said: Sounds like you are clipping your amp. Gains in the system are probably not matched up correctly.
3) Put your woofer in an enclosure, where it belongs. Your installer put a woofer that is not meant for free-air into a free-air application.
4) Apparently they don't call 'em Sony Xplod for nuthin'?
Old 11-28-02, 02:53 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by engin_ear
1) Sounds like your installer is a bonehead. He should already know how to do the things that Banana has suggested to isolate your problem.
Yes, absolutely. This guy is a lying idiot (the installer, just to be clear ).

I looked up some of the w3 line of subs. Their Qts parameters are all above .4 meaning they really want a sealed enclosure. You could put them in an IB setup, however, they are closer to .4 meaning, they'd really like to see a small sealed box (for SQ purposes). The larger the Qts, the larger the sealed enclosure, ultimately reaching an infinite baffle (or a free air setup, as you have it). The D6 would be better in an IB setup, but since you said you're running 2 ohms, I'm assuming you have the v2-D4 w3...

As stated, I'd build an enclosure for that sub.

The components you have listed are all good components. You should not at all be experiencing the problems that you are (except for that sub slap. That is a problem of enclosure size. Either reduce your power significantly, or build a box). The source switching should not be "popping" and that could be due to a ground problem.

Honestly, take your system to a more experienced installer and get his opinion. The person who sold you the system, and who installed it were both imbeciles looking to make a quick buck. It's not the equipments fault, and its not your fault.

Just for the time being, turn down any bass equalization you have, turn off the low volume attenuation (the "Loudness" switch) and turn your gains down on your amp. Let's see what happens...it won't solve the source "popping" but it should help to eliminate some of that sub slap.

Tim
Old 11-29-02, 01:22 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

I personally want to thank all the comments, and suggestions!

engin_ear/BananaGS/TimDimman -
I went and turned down the gain as suggested, and guess what???? The popping stopped!!!! I have a good amount of bass (actually it is still overwhelming the highs a little, but I can adjust for that, I think! lol).

TimDimman - You are correct on my sub spec! I will get a custom box built for that sub, as suggested. He had me thinking that the sub was a free air sub, and wouldn't need an enclosure! What is IB? I don't want to be "taken" again by some shady installer!

It is GREAT to come to a web site, and get some HONEST, KNOWLEDGABLE suggestions, and comments!!!

Thanks!!!!

Lee
Old 11-29-02, 12:10 PM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my amps for my f/r channels clipping after installing my EQ. I turned down my LLC gains and it went away also.

Whats amazing to me is the fact that a shop would sell you a couple of grand worth of equipment, but yet have installers that dont have a clue on how to trouble shoot a simple problem such as turning down some gians. If an installer doesnt know what clipping sounds like form an amp, then he needs to change jobs. Thats rediculous!!

I see your from MD also, out of curiosity, what shop did you go to?
Old 11-29-02, 12:46 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the installer over at United Audio Centers, Schaumburg, IL. Had a system installed back in '96 and he did all the bad things to it. Here was a simple installation of a Alpine MRVF300 amp (later upgraded to MRVF400 - F300's channels were bad out of the box) and he managed to screw it all up. Levels weren't set right, amp was mounted in a place where the trunk support would hit it and to top it all off, he (Dennis the installer) claimed he was a PROFESSIONAL.

When I stripped out the amp to redo everything it was a nightmare. Small 10 guage wire for the power, bullet connectors all over the place, the cheapest possible connecting wire and (eek!) some broken parts in the car. Dennis tore the carpeting since his 200 pound frame couldn't loosen up a small connector.

They made the quick sale that day but they also lost a good customer. All on the account of the arrogant attitude of a "professional" installer.

Percy
Old 11-29-02, 07:38 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexCiting
I personally want to thank all the comments, and suggestions!

engin_ear/BananaGS/TimDimman -
I went and turned down the gain as suggested, and guess what???? The popping stopped!!!! I have a good amount of bass (actually it is still overwhelming the highs a little, but I can adjust for that, I think! lol).

TimDimman - You are correct on my sub spec! I will get a custom box built for that sub, as suggested. He had me thinking that the sub was a free air sub, and wouldn't need an enclosure! What is IB? I don't want to be "taken" again by some shady installer!

It is GREAT to come to a web site, and get some HONEST, KNOWLEDGABLE suggestions, and comments!!!

Thanks!!!!

Lee
Lee,

I'm glad to hear the majority of your problems went away!

About that sub (and "IB")...it's motor strength will allow it to run in a free air setup (or Infinite Baffle) but when using the other T/S specs it looks like it will do much better (for SQ) in a smaller, sealed enclosure.

Not trying to defend the installer or anything...but he did sell you a sub that "can" run free air (the motor strength, or Qts will support it ) He just didn't tell you that it would probably sound like &ss with any real power/volume.

Tim