Sponsored by:

general question for amp- wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-12, 09:59 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default general question for amp- wire

i been using 8 gauge with a 50 fuse for my MRP 350 amp (700 watt total). I heard people say bigger the better. i been thinking about going knukonceptz 4 gauge for my power wire and ground. will it harm my amp? I also heard the ground wire would be best if it is better than the power wire. any thoughts?
Old 08-22-12, 10:40 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by maxx430
i been using 8 gauge with a 50 fuse for my MRP 350 amp (700 watt total).
With you so far.

I heard people say bigger the better.
What people? Bigger can be better if you're at the limits of the wire, but going from 8 ga to 000 ga is a bit of overkill. Moderation, mang.

Speaking of being at the limits, you're at yours. Assuming 100% efficiency that your amp (no amp, really) has, it's 50A @ 14VDC. Since it's closer to 75% efficient, you can add another 13A to that, so 63A at full tilt. You're exceeding the current capacity of that wire - assuming you have 90° C insulation (unlikely). You don't want to upgrade to 4 GA, you need to upgrade to 4 GA.

i been thinking about going knukonceptz 4 gauge for my power wire and ground.
Good call. Make sure you get OFC (Oxygen Free Copper), not CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). If you are planning on upgrading to a larger (or additional) amp, you should take this into account and buy the next larger size. No sense buying it twice (and tearing the car apart again).

will it harm my amp?
No. Fuse it properly and you should be fine.

I also heard the ground wire would be best if it is better than the power wire. any thoughts?
You need to stop listening to whoever is telling you this stuff. Better than the power wire? Even if you meant bigger, it makes no sense. You should use the proper size on both sides of the circuit. Period.

Big Mack
Old 08-22-12, 11:15 PM
maxx430
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

damn i love the break down! the 4 gauge is a bit beefy.there was a chart i found that said if i was doing 400 watt at 16 feet of wire i should go 4 gauge. i think it was 16 feet. I do have a MRP 650 Alpine so i think 4 gauge would be best all around. just hate how the terminal of the amp is so small for the 4 gauge.

Big Mack,

will it harm my amp if the fuse on the power wire is much higher than those on the amp?

Last edited by maxx430; 08-22-12 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 10:46 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

there was a chart i found that said if i was doing 400 watt at 16 feet of wire i should go 4 gauge
That's overkill. Cable should be rated by amperage, not wattage. 28A doesn't require 4GA wire. 8GA is good for 40A up to about 15 feet if it's basic. If it's rated for high temp (as I referenced before), you can pull 55 through it, but that's the outer limit.

I do have a MRP 650 Alpine so i think 4 gauge would be best all around. just hate how the terminal of the amp is so small for the 4 gauge.
Assuming you mean the M650, 4GA can power bofum. You need a distribution block with 4 GA inputs, and both amps are designed for 8 GA inputs. Run 8GA to them and you should be fine (this assumes the runs to the amps are less than 5 feet). And again, I can't say it enough, get OFC not CCA.

will it harm my amp if the fuse on the power wire is much higher than those on the amp?
No, not directly. If you manage to short the wire, it will mean more current will pass before it fries the fuse. The ancillary fuses on the amp will blow if it's operating correctly. I usually recommend staying within 5A if possible of the total amp draw - and go higher, not lower. Fuses don't blow instantly - they vary on their duration of passing excessive current, that's why we practice safe operation.

Big Mack