Sponsored by:

Car audio for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-02, 12:53 PM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car audio for dummies

How can I learn about car audio. The people in Erie suck and I know basically nothing. I am very good as a mechanic but have never learned about audio. I was thinking abou putting a dvd/nav system in my SC300 but wanted to learn about how to do it and what components/companies are best. I like doing things myself.

Thanks
Old 11-26-02, 02:23 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a couple of decent books on amazon.com for starters. You can also check out the car audio magazines for what's current (Car Audio & Elect., Auto Sound & Security, etc.). As far as components/companies that are best, that's a shaky topic, it depends on your relative interests, the quality of your ear, how critical you are, and the depth of your wallet. It's all relative.
You might consider checking out a few car shows (these are held in various spots around the country) to get a good feel for what's out there and what you are interested in. Check out www.iasca.com.
Old 11-26-02, 03:19 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

bigdaddyrobb,

I agree with engin_ear. You can learn alot at shows and thru mags. However, PJ's Autosound in Erie is supposed to be capable of some decent work. Have you tried them?

If you need help picking components, there are several threads here about the peculiar problems with the SC and Stereos. I would suggest sticking with names that are well known and quality. If you want DVD I would suggest the Kenwood KVT-911DVD with the NAV addon....that is a nice all around setup.

MW
Old 11-26-02, 03:33 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a good place to get a general Idea of whats good out there is also internet forums like www.sounddomain.com , it has alot of information on car audio.
Old 11-27-02, 01:11 AM
bigdaddyrobb
Pole Position

Tahnks for the info. I've got a lot of reading to do. I work at the Toyota dealership down the street from PJ's but have heard of some shady dealings. They do all of our sound/nav aftermarket for our used cars. I am not trying to go real big, using most of my funds for the 2JZ-GTE swap and body kit and repaint. My ear is not real good, I am going for functionality not a performance system. I want to be able to hear it over the turbo whine and bov.

Soon to be educated sound novice
Old 11-27-02, 01:42 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Robb,

All stereo shops are odd. Some are overly highend, some are ghetto. The ones making money always seem shady. The broke ones are always really nice. Just weird business.

If your dealership has a relationship with them....you are set. Just ask them a lot of questions and ask for definite answers in writing.

MW
Old 11-27-02, 05:07 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i'd recomend http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/ they are a very busy site. you can post a question any time of day and someone will respond usually within 5 min
Old 11-28-02, 02:36 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

If you want a non-condescending attitude, and a straight forward answer, www.soundillusions.net is a good site to learn.

Also, check out the tech zone (A link to a VERY good site!!!) off the SIN page.

Tim