Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

LS400 Nakamichi - Speakers blown or Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-12, 10:10 PM
krymarchuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 Nakamichi - Speakers blown or Amp?

Hey guys,

I've browsed through nearly every thread on audio regarding the issue I am having, and have narrowed it down to one of two things, either the speakers are blown, or the amp is. However, I am not much of an audio guy, and as such, am not sure what my next step is to solving the problem.

I just picked up a '91 LS400 with the Nakamichi stereo set-up in it. The sub works fine, and the drivers side rear door speaker works (although it has a very slight distortion), yet both fronts and the passenger rear are not working. The fronts seem to play very faintly (when the fader is set all the way to the front), yet there doesn't seem to be any sound from the passenger rear.

I am fairly inclined to believe the speakers themselves are blown, as the faint sound in the fronts may be from the tweeters, which from my understanding points towards the main speakers instead of the amp. However, I would like to know if there is a way to check for this (without having to find an extra speaker and test it in place of the stock speaker.

I am not trying to put together a full aftermarket set-up or anything. I want to keep the stock HU and be able to correct the issue with minimal cost and work. If it is the speakers, will any 4" - 4 OHM speaker work as a replacement? And will it be fairly plug-and-play with the stock wiring?

Thanks in advance for any help.