Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

non chambered sub box question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-02, 06:23 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's parallel wiring. You're getting much more power and the mono signal subs should be getting, but your amp may not be able to handle the load for long periods of time. What amp are you using, btw?
Old 12-08-02, 06:26 PM
Lvangundy

the amp has been discussed already, scroll up.

Old 12-08-02, 10:16 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lvangundy,

You have the amp in what is referred to as bridged parallel. Bridged takes the load to 1/2 what it would normally be.
Parallel resistence of the two woofers = 2ohms.

So your amp is at a 1ohm load.

You will probably not want to load that particular amp to 1ohm. So you need to wire them in series. But due to the massive misinformation in this thread, you might want to call Todd or swing by his shop.

PM me if you want.

MW
Old 12-08-02, 11:34 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Originally posted by pcmw
Lvangundy,

You have the amp in what is referred to as bridged parallel. Bridged takes the load to 1/2 what it would normally be.
Parallel resistence of the two woofers = 2ohms.

So your amp is at a 1ohm load.

MW
Ummmmmmmm no. It's a 2 ohm mono load. The website claims that the amp can handle a 2 ohm load, but I'm sure they're talking about stereo. If it can't handle the load it should start blowing fuses...

Last edited by BabaBooey; 12-08-02 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-09-02, 02:34 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by BabaBooey

Ummmmmmmm no. It's a 2 ohm mono load. The website claims that the amp can handle a 2 ohm load, but I'm sure they're talking about stereo. If it can't handle the load it should start blowing fuses...
It's a matter of symantics...

In essance he is correct...

Symantically, you are correct...

Assuming 2 4 ohm speaks wired in parallel, he is wired to 2 ohms. The amp sees 2 ohms, but this would mean it would need to be 1 ohm bridged stable, which it is not.

Tim
Old 12-09-02, 10:56 AM
BabaBooey
Driver

Originally posted by TimDimman

Assuming 2 4 ohm speaks wired in parallel, he is wired to 2 ohms. The amp sees 2 ohms, but this would mean it would need to be 1 ohm bridged stable, which it is not.

Tim
Huh? Think about what you're saying. The amp is seeing a 2 ohm mono load. You're saying that this means it needs to be 1 ohm mono stable. That makes no sense whatsoever. If he's go two 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel and bridged to the amp, it needs to be two ohm mono stable, simple as that.
Old 12-09-02, 12:51 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

BabaBooey,

I cannot tell if you are being difficult or you really don't understand. I will hope it is the later. When you bridge an amplifier, the amp sees half the load you are giving to it because you have removed resistence.

http://www.1388.com/articles/tech_un...ge2/page2.html
Remember bridging makes an 8-ohm load look like 4 ohms, a 4-ohm load look like 2 ohms, etc.
That may help you out.

I stated that this was the case in my explanation and differentiated that the amp saw this 2ohm load as 1.

Please do your homework before you give bad advice.

MW
Old 12-09-02, 01:38 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

I can't believe we're having this discussion. If you have a 4 ohm SVC sub and bridge it to an amplifier, it's still a 4 ohm load. This is car audio at its most basic form. An amplifier cannot see a 2 ohm load with a single 4 ohm VC. The only similarities between bridging a 4 ohm speaker and a 2 ohm load is that the amplifier puts out the same bridged as it would at two ohm stereo.

You are the ones giving the poor advice. By your logic, with his amp, which puts out max power at a 4 ohm mono load, he should go about purchasing an 8 ohm speaker. The fact that I'm outnumbered in this argument could cause him to do so is pretty dissapointing...

Last edited by BabaBooey; 12-09-02 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-09-02, 02:53 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Baba,

I cannot force you to learn, but I would hope you read the last article I linked.

Here are a few more if you are still having trouble.

http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/a...onid=13&List=1
By bridging an amplifier you essentially halve the impedance it sees from a given speaker so an 8 ohm speaker looks like a 4 ohm speaker to the bridged amp.
http://www.jeffrowland.com/MC-6%20Tech%20Discussion.htm

When an amplifier is bridged, each output channel sees only one-half of the load impedance (the loudspeaker load), which effectively doubles the amount of current each output channel must produce.
http://elliottelectronics.com/Spkwiremain.htm
If you are bridging the amplifier then divide the load values by two.

Hope that helps you out.

MW
Old 12-09-02, 03:20 PM
Lvangundy

OK - Anyone recommend a decent amp under $200 besides what Best Buy has? (jensen, lightning, etc..)

Something like 100W RMS.

Old 12-09-02, 03:31 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Huh? Think about what you're saying. The amp is seeing a 2 ohm mono load. You're saying that this means it needs to be 1 ohm mono stable. That makes no sense whatsoever. If he's go two 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel and bridged to the amp, it needs to be two ohm mono stable, simple as that.
Oh boy...

It's all about context...you can't just read that statement alone...you have to relate it to everything that's been discussed...

You're just being hard headed now...(hopefully...)

If it helps, reread prior posts before posting a response. Don't hang yourself on the most recent response.

Tim
Old 12-09-02, 03:46 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Originally posted by pcmw
Baba,

I cannot force you to learn, but I would hope you read the last article I linked.
Force me to learn what, incorrect information? And I'm not being hardheaded. Saying that bridging an amplifier affects the resistance in ANY manner is simply wrong.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/bridging.htm

"NOTE:
Some people say that when an amplifier is bridged onto a 4 ohm load, it 'sees' a 2 ohm load. While it is true that the same current flows whether the amp is bridged on a 4 ohm load or a 2 ohm stereo load, the amplifier is driving a 4 ohm load across its outputs. A single 4 ohm speaker can never be a 2 ohm load."
Old 12-09-02, 03:52 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Originally posted by Lvangundy
OK - Anyone recommend a decent amp under $200 besides what Best Buy has? (jensen, lightning, etc..)

Something like 100W RMS.
The JBL 600.1 on ikesound.com. Wire your speakers in parallel and they'll get about 300 watts a piece. They should be able to handle it, and if they sound like they have trouble with the power, you've always got the headroom.
Old 12-09-02, 04:03 PM
Lvangundy

Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll go with the 300.1.

300W each maybe too much for me.. =)

Old 12-09-02, 05:04 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you're the one that needs to get a clue. What do you think a vent is for? While an amp is being clipped, current is repeatedly flowing through the voice coil. This causes the VC to heat up. All the while, the cone/spider remain extended. Since the cone isn't returning to the original position, it isn't going to be able to push warm air from around the VC out of the vent.

You are certainly contributing to misinformation on the board...

Sorry I'm halfassing these answers, the Saints game is on. I'll continue to do what I can though until the game is over, then I'll be able to give appropriate responses...

I need to get a clue? I think I've been doing this long enough to have a "clue", what are your credentials? In fact, I've never even heard of you before, so you are probably just off the turnip truck and a little wet behind the ears. That happens sometimes, we'll just dismiss your behavior as "eagerness".

Whether an amp is being clipped or not, current is flowing through the voice coil. According to what you just said, the speaker will STAY at whatever position it is in. This is the only conclusion since you say it won't move and push air around the VC. This would only happen with DC, and would have to be CONSTANT DC. Otherwise, a speaker will always be moving, distorted, clipped or otherwise.

We won't bother to question your other misinformed points, as your statements are proof enough that you are a little confused. I can tell you for a fact that I don't post anything unless I know it is true, and I've been doing this 12 volt stuff for a while.

Once again, please don't post things to confused the already confused.

Quick Reply: non chambered sub box question