Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

non chambered sub box question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-02, 03:03 PM
Lvangundy

Default non chambered sub box question

Should I reverse one set of wires for one sub if I have 2 subs in a non chambered (separated) box?

So that one moves one way, and the other moves the other way. Or just have both on +/- normally?

Old 12-06-02, 03:09 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear god no.
Old 12-06-02, 03:16 PM
Lvangundy

So just keep them moving the same direction huh,,

dear god no - to what? the fact that I have 2 subs in a single chamber box? LOL

anyone got a hookup on boxes? I'd like one a little smaller..and separated..unless someone has some other insight.

Old 12-06-02, 03:23 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Dear god no as in it's a perfect recipe for cancellation. The only reason to reverse the polarity between the two is if you have one sub with the cone facing outward and one with the magnet facing out (no advantage to this setup other than to show off the back of a sub). I can give advice on your box if you tell us what subs you're using and what size your current box is. Realise the only advantage to a dual chambered box over a single chamber is if one sub blows while the other continues to play..
Old 12-06-02, 04:02 PM
Lvangundy

Unfortunately the manufacturer of the speakers never really specified an optimal box size beofre he went out of business.

Here's a picture of them..They are rated 300W 4ohm 15"s (12" conical area)

And you said the only advantage two a dual chambered....

From what you wrote should I only have one connected then?

Both are connected (stereo).
Attached Thumbnails non chambered sub box question-subs.jpg  

Old 12-06-02, 04:22 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lvangundy,

If you want to build a better sub/box. You should start with a quality woofer and maybe go with a single woofer this time. All quality subs have detailed specs on box dimensions. One sub in a good enclosure will sound better than two in a non-separated box. Also, it takes less space in your trunk.

When you wire up one sub backwards, you get no sound. BabaBooey referred to this as cancellation. What happens is that the one sub puts out sound waves while the second puts out the opposite wave hence cancelling any sound being produced.

Advantage to a dual chamber box is simple. Less interaction of the two woofers and hence a cleaner reproduction. Consider that 2 identical speakers from the same manfacturer built one after the other will have slightly difference characteristics. So, the more powerful or effcient sub will cause the other to distort. Only slightly, but all the same, distortion sucks.

MW
Old 12-06-02, 04:39 PM
Lvangundy

Gotcha.

Maybe I should just disconnect one for now?

Anyone have a 15" box laying around?

or a chambered 15" box?

Old 12-06-02, 05:39 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by BabaBooey
Dear god no as in it's a perfect recipe for cancellation. The only reason to reverse the polarity between the two is if you have one sub with the cone facing outward and one with the magnet facing out (no advantage to this setup other than to show off the back of a sub). I can give advice on your box if you tell us what subs you're using and what size your current box is. Realise the only advantage to a dual chambered box over a single chamber is if one sub blows while the other continues to play..
That is not true. A major advantage is to gain displacement in the box. The back of that sub will be a ballast in the box...otherwise, yes you are right.

If one sub blows, then you'll just have a passive radiator (assuming the coil doesn't seize)

Tim
Old 12-06-02, 05:40 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lvangundy
Gotcha.

Maybe I should just disconnect one for now?

Anyone have a 15" box laying around?

or a chambered 15" box?
If you disconnect one, and its a shared chamber box, your other sub will act as a passive radiator. This isn't so good, as it changes the characteristics of your box.

Tim
Old 12-06-02, 05:42 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

You also stated that both are connected running in stereo...if you have a shared chamber box...they should be getting the same signal...ie that amp should be bridged, and the subs should be run in either serial or parallel. Or the source signal should be seperated so that your only getting one channel to the amp.

How close are you to San Diego?

Tim
Old 12-06-02, 06:26 PM
BabaBooey
Driver

Originally posted by TimDimman

That is not true. A major advantage is to gain displacement in the box.
Tim
Good point, but with the volume gained in the box, the whole thing takes up more space. Seems like an even tradeoff in most cases...
Old 12-06-02, 08:20 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by BabaBooey

Good point, but with the volume gained in the box, the whole thing takes up more space. Seems like an even tradeoff in most cases...
If you mean loses trunk practicality by "takes up more space" then, yes, I agree. Otherwise, that's not true...

Tim

Last edited by TimDimman; 12-06-02 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-06-02, 08:48 PM
Lvangundy

Ok, should I bridge it (amp side), and only connect one speaker?

Old 12-06-02, 08:56 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Originally posted by Lvangundy
Ok, should I bridge it (amp side), and only connect one speaker?
Too many variables to answer this question...

As for hooking up one speaker...NO! You'll never want to do this, unless you put a divider in your box to seperate chambers. In just hooking up one speaker, you're doubling the volume required which could end up damaging both speakers (overdriving one, and slapping the other all to hell).

Give us more info about the setup, and we can better answer the question. You can't just "bridge" an amp and have it work nicely without knowing any other information...

What's the VC configuration of your subs? What's the power handling characteristics? What will your amp produce bridged? Etc...

You may just want to keep it the way you have it now (as long as the polarities aren't reversed)...

Tim
Old 12-06-02, 09:26 PM
Lvangundy

Don't know about the VC on the subs. It's single as far as I know. There's only one pair of connectors on the back of the speaker (inside box).

I'm going to go do a polarity test on them real quick to see if they were connected right last time. You know the AA battery trick...

Here's the amp - PLEASE get your laughs in!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...9,1516,00.html

Right now the subs are connected as straight as you can get them. Positive to positive and negative to negative on one channel and same for the other. The box is wearing out and rattles a bit.

The speakers distort a bit when turned up.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 12-06-02 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: non chambered sub box question