Sponsored by:

Just wondering: DD Audio 9515's vs. MMATS Juggernauts

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 12:43 AM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just wondering: DD Audio 9515's vs. MMATS Juggernauts

Just wondering which one can produce more and handle SPL. Those two seem very comparable when it comes down to specs and obviously, DD has a notorious reputation for SPL. But I heard many things about the Juggernauts. Opinions?
Old 12-11-02, 09:51 AM
crsow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The jug will do the most spl if given the right air space, box design, and power. I have been selling mmats for about four years and the only thing that is as loud as it is, is the cerwin vega stroker. If you want any one of the two let me know and i'll get you a deal.
Old 12-11-02, 09:41 PM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Take it from someone who owns the co. (MMATS) and is also a fellow Lexus owner. Buy JUGGERNAUTS!! You'll be totally happy and satisfied!! Just make sure on the JUG 15" it sees 4.5 cu. ft. PORTED! It should rip the Lexus apart!
Old 12-12-02, 12:55 AM
bassfreak

the 9515 is a bit louder and sounds way better,
Old 12-12-02, 03:13 PM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Default bassfreak is obviously smok'n something

So Bassfreak,

Please enlighten me when u had the chance to A/B test the DD speaker against our Jugs, along with the detailed speaker enclosure specs, along with the power that was being fed to both. I'm really interested to know this based on your blanket statement. In case you are not aware, the Jugs have won every SPL Endurance competition at the world finals in Nashville the last 4 years in a row!! Funny DD has never done that, can u please explain that??

Ken S.
Old 12-12-02, 08:13 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Default Re: bassfreak is obviously smok'n something

Originally posted by kensttgs400
So Bassfreak,

Please enlighten me when u had the chance to A/B test the DD speaker against our Jugs, along with the detailed speaker enclosure specs, along with the power that was being fed to both. I'm really interested to know this based on your blanket statement. In case you are not aware, the Jugs have won every SPL Endurance competition at the world finals in Nashville the last 4 years in a row!! Funny DD has never done that, can u please explain that??

Ken S.

Wouldn't you say that quite a bit of that has to do with install though?

Push comes to shove, the Juggs may be able to eek out that much more...but I'd think alot of it comes down to engineering the vehicle, and the install...

They really are pretty close (on paper...).

It's nice to see a company owner here by the way! Thanks for taking the time!

Tim
Old 12-13-02, 03:27 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Like Tim said, IMHO it'll depend on how ideal your install is for the sub and the vehicle, so there is no clear winner, too many factors to make a statement like one would be better. I would guess you would be very happy with either. I haven't had personal experience with Jugg's, but I've been real happy with my 9515.
Old 12-13-02, 03:32 PM
Iboomalot
Driver School Candidate

The older Juggs were designed and built by DD and the current design is an older off shoot from the current DD9515.

you can buy a DD9515 for approx 450.00 and have the flexibility to get the coils in a

1, 1.5, 2, 4ohm DVC or quad 1.5ohm this is more imp loads avil via DD then mmats.

I suggest you look at your options and pick one but I would think the DD would be the better bet due to price and coil flexibility

good luck on your choice
Old 12-14-02, 04:04 PM
crsow
Rookie

I do not want to get into a discussion on ignerance, but you mean to tell me that ken, the man who designed and built this sub before digital designs ever came out used their designs, which wheren't even thought of yet.

Not to sure that I follow you on that.

But good luck informing the owner of mmatts that he has no idea about what he's talking about.

I'm not saying that the DD's are not loud or good speakers but don't talk trash about Juggs if you don't know about them.
Old 12-14-02, 05:15 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Thanks for your help guys. I'm selling my old system to a friend and I'm looking at getting a real mean street system (not true SPL, but something that'll get really loud when I want it to).

How much do 15" Juggernauts cost?

Iboomalot said that 9515's should run about $450 (around that area).

Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-02, 06:03 PM
Iboomalot
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by crsow
I do not want to get into a discussion on ignerance, but you mean to tell me that ken, the man who designed and built this sub before digital designs ever came out used their designs, which wheren't even thought of yet.

Not to sure that I follow you on that.

But good luck informing the owner of mmatts that he has no idea about what he's talking about.

I'm not saying that the DD's are not loud or good speakers but don't talk trash about Juggs if you don't know about them.
the holes in the jugg topplate are a DD design, the surround they currently use is one that I designed even the VC is the same one designed via DD. This is all old news

I know Ken and David and all those guys at mmats. And as far as "built this sub before digital designs ever came out used their designs, which wheren't even thought of yet."

its the other way around DD was established in 1985 and that design was out in 1996 before mmats ever thought of the jugg.

its ok both are great drivers just DD has them for less $$$ and more coil choices to boot.
Old 12-14-02, 11:29 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All depends on install as shown by Nathan Monsoon. Personally I would go with DD's but again it's all in the install.

P.S. Cool to have Iboomalot on this board, he knows his sh|t.
Old 12-21-02, 01:35 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Default IBOOMALOT - DD surround wrong!!!

Hey IBOOMALOT!

You've gone on this chat board saying you designed the JUGG f/us!! Well you open up the can of worms I'm going to fill you up on it.

First of all, you did not design our surround!! Your design was wrong(too short!) and we designed a taller one that could handle 2"'s of x-max. Your design was way too short, the one you spec'd on your DD!!

Second - We totally designed all of our own voice coils - .67 ohms
1.0 ohms - 1.4 ohms - 2.0 ohms - Dual 4 ohms.

Thirdly - If you want to continue with that ego of yours thinking you designed our stuff, I invite you (and welcome any Lexus owners) to come by our Manufacturing facility and watch us do our OWN STUFF, with you no where around!
BTW on a LEGAL NOTE- If you're working for another speaker manufacturer and want to say PUBLICALLY that you designed our JUGGS when indeed that is not true (& I'll Prove it!!) Keep it up - I'll have a law suit slapped on you so fast you'll wish you never found this chat room!! I hope I make myself clear!!
Old 12-21-02, 01:50 AM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Wow guys, this thread is just a question asking people's simple opinions about DD Audio 9515's and the MMATS Juggernauts, not some war about who designed this or that and filing lawsuits.

But thanks for the help csrow, TimDimman, Kyle Harty, retrodrive, kenttgs400, and iboomalot.

Btw: kenttgs400 - How much do 15" Juggernauts cost (typically)? Thanks.

Last edited by LS400; 12-21-02 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-21-02, 02:12 AM
kensttgs400
Driver School Candidate

Hey LS400,

Excuse me getting "spooled" up, but IBOOMALOT is talking about our Registered and Patented product. As a business owner I take that very seriously. As far as your ?. Full suggested retail price for a Jugg 15 is $749. You can usually find dealers who may be "hungry" that may sell them for $499-$549 respectively. Be aware, they need a MINIMUM of 800 -1000 Watts RMS amplifier on them(we design & build those also) to really warrant the $'s you will spend on the speaker. If you cannot give it that much power, I highly recommend you step down to a smaller motor speaker.

ie. 140-180 oz. motor structure, 3" kapton coil, lighter cast frame or large stamped steel frame, 12-15 mm x-max 1-way, etc.
Don't waste bucks on a big speaker unless you can buy a BIG Amplifier to push it. It would only be a waste!

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Just wondering: DD Audio 9515's vs. MMATS Juggernauts