Sponsored by:

Blown Amp Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 08:05 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Blown Amp Fuse

I was changing a plug and, well, it's a long story but I blew the 120 amp alternator fuse. How do I get the square thing out? I pulled a little but got scared. Help??
Old 12-11-02, 08:43 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's two bolts on the side of the fuse. One side will be 8 mm and another side will 10 mm. You'll have to pop the cover off(black plastic covers) and you'll see them.
Let me guess, your extension or rachet touching the positive battery terminal and ground it through the engine. Then you see some fireworks..lol, been there, done that.
Old 12-11-02, 10:29 PM
gebo
Advanced

Where are the 2 bolts? Are you talking about the one that is under the cover "flap?" I can get this flap up on the side near the engine. How do I get to the other side? Do I have to remove the entire panel from the body to get to the other side towards the wheel well?

We are talking about the same square fuse that is in the row of about 7 fuses that are separate from the main block of fuses? This is the 3rd one from the front of the car. 1st fuse is a 30A, 2nd one is a 80A, 3rd one is 120A, 4th one is 60A, 5th one is 50A, 6th one is50A, 7th one is 40A.
Old 12-11-02, 10:32 PM
gebo
Advanced

VVT-i,

Are the black plastic covers on both sides of the "box?" I guess I'll have to remove the entire box first? You know, to get to the side towards the fuse box.
Old 12-11-02, 11:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Gebo..Is this for your LS or the GS.I guess it's the LS. Another bolt to get to it on the fuse box side. Why don't you get the new fuse first and look at it? You will see at the legs(sides) of the fuse will have 1 small for 8mm bolt and 1 big for 10mm bolt.
Old 12-12-02, 01:46 AM
gebo
Advanced

You are exactly correct. It's just that since I broke the rubber extension on my coil (the one that goes down the hole into the block) while changing my plugs last Thursday during the snow here in VA, I haven't been able to use my car until I got the part today from irontoad (ups nda). I guess I'm starting to not think properly. I get the coil back on , go and crank my car and ooops....No dash lights, no radio, no windows go up and down, etc. How I found this fuse is beyond me! ANyway, It wasn't pretty but I got the fuse box off and have gotten the fuse out. Trust me, You would not have wanted to see this operation. It was not a clean incision, know what I mean? THat front clamp that holds the box on???? How in the world do you get it loose without breaking it?

Oh, yeah, you can't buy just the little rubber extension on the coil by itself! $70-115 depending on where you get the coil.
Old 12-12-02, 01:50 AM
gebo
Advanced

VVT-i,

Now if I can only remember to put the fuse in with the 10mm and 8mm on their respective sides. Oh the joy of a back woods mechanic. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 12-12-02, 06:49 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Your welcome and hope nothing else goes wrong.
Old 12-12-02, 08:07 PM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by gebo
VVT-i,

Now if I can only remember to put the fuse in with the 10mm and 8mm on their respective sides. Oh the joy of a back woods mechanic. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
LOL...don't mean to sound harsh, but make sure you disconnect the battery first

Tim
Old 12-12-02, 09:30 PM
gebo
Advanced

ANd to think, I didn't disconnect it in the beginning because I didn't want to have to reset my radio stations and clock?????

Let's see, borrowing a friend's van, driving 3 hours on Friday to get the "lexus only" 120 Amp alternator fuse from the nearest dealer in Kernersville, NC, having to ask off work again, hoping I make it back in time for my son's basketball game.....

ANd to top it all off, what if this isn't the only fuse that was blown$%^&****((((*)()%%%%%%%%%&%*&*))^)(???????????????????????????????????????????????

When was the last time you heard a preacher cuss?
Old 03-03-03, 04:55 PM
snackypuddin
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Dead Clock

So my battery died in a freeze we just had, so I took it to Sears for a new one for my '98 ES300. I picked up the car and the clock was fine and still had the correct time and everything, but then the next morning driving my son to school the clock was on and correct, and then 10 minutes later it was dark and dead. It was raining a lot.

Now what? I need that clock, but can't aford a day to take it to the Lexus people. I looked at the fuse box diagram in the little closet by the driver door and saw nothing that said "clock", so...

Any possiblilty, I can fix this myself?
Old 03-07-03, 09:08 AM
TimDimman
Pole Position

Default Re: Dead Clock

Originally posted by snackypuddin
So my battery died in a freeze we just had, so I took it to Sears for a new one for my '98 ES300. I picked up the car and the clock was fine and still had the correct time and everything, but then the next morning driving my son to school the clock was on and correct, and then 10 minutes later it was dark and dead. It was raining a lot.

Now what? I need that clock, but can't aford a day to take it to the Lexus people. I looked at the fuse box diagram in the little closet by the driver door and saw nothing that said "clock", so...

Any possiblilty, I can fix this myself?

The clock is usually on the same circuit as your radio/map lights...so, if you're radio is still working, more than likely your clock should be too...

LED's/LCD's are tempermental to heat/cold...the weather might have killed your display...if you can pull the display out, check to see if there is power to it.

Tim