Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

ML+ Volume controls when using iPod for music. I can't figure this out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-13, 04:39 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default ML+ Volume controls when using iPod for music. I can't figure this out!

I am at a loss. I installed the Vaistech ML+ unit in my '09 ISF last weekend. Before this I was just running my iPod through the Aux input in the center console, which is annoying as you guys know because you can't control an iPod when in Aux mode and it won't charge either. Needless to say, I was excited to get the ML+ so that I could have full use of my iPod through my factory controls and it would stay charged to boot.

As soon as I finished the install and plugged my ipod in to the cable that works with the ML+ unit I noticed a very obvious reduction in sound quality. My mids and highs seemed quite muffled to be specific. While the bass seems to come through fine, any vocals or instrumental music sounds off. My normal listening is to have the volume set at 35, the treble and midrange a couple of clicks from the max, and my bass about 3 clicks above the min. Now, with the ML+ my vocals and instrumentals sound kinda muffled even with the volume cranked up to 45. I have spent over an hour trying to figure this out. I have tried every possible EQ setting on my iPod itself (including off, flat, treble booster, vocal booster, pop, acoustic, etc.) and though it clearly changes the sound a little bit, nothing seems to bring the mids/highs back to where they should be.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't seem to access the "treble, midrange, bass" screen on my car's factory Mark Levinson system when I'm running my ML+ through the CD changer selection.
What really baffles me is that the music still sounds normal on every other setting. I have anl amp and a 10" sub in a custom box, and my system sounds great on FM mode, DVD mode, and even when I run my iPod through the Aux port like I used to. I'm thinking that maybe if there was a way to turn up the mids and highs and turn down the bass a little bit through my factory system, that might fix it... but again, I can't access that screen by pressing the audio button like I can on every other mode.

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone actually does read this and might have some suggestions, I wanted them to have all the facts.

Last edited by vbb; 01-21-13 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 06:01 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again, I don't have the ML+ (just the sl2vi) but here is some info on how I have things.

Through the AUX or through the SL2VI I have the iPod volume around 50% and no EQ. Both AUX/CD Changer sound pretty much the same best I can tell. I didn't change a thing when going from AUX to the SL2VI cable. EQ on the iPod will absolutely change how things sound whereas I don't notice when the iPod volume is higher or lower.

My SL2VI uses the "CD Changer" mode (as opposed to the normal DVD Changer). So I press the "AUX" button to switch to it.

I have my headunit Sound settings like this:

TREB +2
MID + 1
BASS +4 (out of 5)
REAR +1
Surround sound - on
Volume increase based on speed - on

I would say that at any given time my volume doesn't go past like 25 and it's plenty loud. I have never gone above maybe 30-35 while driving with the windows down.

In any mode I always have the SOUND and DSP options in the lower left of my screen. Always, in every mode and every screen. See attached for my iPod view. What does your screen look like?

Lastly, at one point I had a loose SL2VI cable and my left speakers would get static-y and really weak. Once I tightened the cables, it all resolved itself. But when it was bad all of my other modes (like FM or DVD Changer) sounded perfect. I'm not sure you have anything loose, but in a way it sounds similar.
Attached Thumbnails ML+ Volume controls when using iPod for music.  I can't figure this out!-img_20130121_173441_403.jpg   ML+ Volume controls when using iPod for music.  I can't figure this out!-img_20130121_173459_547.jpg  

Last edited by anxiouz; 01-21-13 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 05:41 AM
vbb

Thanks for the detailed response. My screen looks like the typical ML+ screen (sorry, I don't have a picture, but it is where the album art is on the right side and the track name is on the left side with the little blue bar showing how many seconds/minutes through the track you have played). It's the same as everyone else's ML+ screen.

The best way I can describe it is this: Imagine you're at a concert, 10 rows back from the stage. That's my normal system using the DVD player, FM or SAT radio or even the iPod through the AUX port on volume 35. When I switch to the ML+ iPod out mode however, it sounds as if I've been transported back to the nosebleed seats on system volume 35, except the bass is still coming through loud and clear (too loud actually). If I want to get the same volume as the other modes out of my mids and highs, I have to crank my volume up to 45+, which makes the bass absolutely unbearable.

I've tried adjusting the volume on my iPod, but that does nothing. I've messed with the EQ settings on the iPod and that makes slight changes, but doesn't solve the problem no matter which setting I select. I thought it was a problem with my iPod itself, but like I said, I ran it the old way through my AUX cable and it sounded fine. I don't know if this is just the sound quality you get with the ML+ or if something is wrong. I hope it isn't just the sound quality though. If so, I'd rather deal with the aux input and good sound over the fancy touch screen options with ML+ but a terrible sound.
Old 01-22-13, 07:17 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Another thought...maybe try another ipod/iphone to see if perhaps the bottom ipod jack is messed up in some way? unlikely but it's possible. just ask someone at work if you can try their phone for 2 minutes. it'll at least rule something out.
Old 01-22-13, 07:46 AM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Oh, one more thought I had in the shower haha. The "ipod out" is the ML+ option that gives you the fancy and awesome interface. It requires iOS4+ I believe. Without that mode on I believe it simply uses the standard Vaistech interface which looks like what I have pictured above.

Maybe try turning off the ipod out function, then see if things sound any better or different. That may at least give you better sound until you can figure out the main issue. You'll have to use the not-as-good interface but it's definitely worth testing out IMO.

I'm not sure how you get into the ML+ setup/config menu but I've seen it in their owners manual pdf so there must be some way.
Old 01-24-13, 10:37 AM
vbb

To anxiouz and anyone else that is reading this, I contacted Vaistech and their customer service team was awesome. The responded to my emails within minutes of me sending them, and had everything figured out in no time. I knew it would be something easy. I had to switch over the CD/MP3 mode, adjust the EQ there, then switch back over to iPod mode. My factory EQ had the treble and mids turned almost all the way down (don't know how or why that happened, but then again I haven't used those modes at all in the entire time I've owned the car), and that fixed the problem right away.

Thanks so much to anxiouz for giving his thoughts, and thanks to Vaistech for having a great customer service/info department!
Old 01-24-13, 12:53 PM
anxiouz
Lead Lap

Great to hear!