Sponsored by:

Removing the inner door panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-01, 02:23 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Upgrading to the DynAudios (if I can find any in the Atlanta area) sounds like the way to go for a reasonable system upgrade without major bucks for more amplification and a trunk full of subs.

I'm getting a GS430 and I'm pretty good mechanically, but have never pulled the inner door panels. The rest of the install seems fairly straight forward.

Any tips on removing the panels would be appreciated.

Also, a review of the "squeeze technique" used to get the grills off of the A-pillar tweeters would help.

Thanks.

Marty

P.S. Since I may chicken out and choose not to screw with my brand new baby GS (I would be very unhappy if I damaged the interior), what might I expect to pay a decent shop to do the work?
Old 03-19-01, 02:48 PM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

Cool simple my dear watson

Marty,

It is very simple... just that you want to be very careful (as always) because you dont want to ruin your door panels...
front doors: there are 4 phillip-head screws on the way bottom part of the door panel, one near the door part that holds the door closed when closed.. (dont know the technical term for that part)... this is inside a little round black rubber thing that spaces the door panel from the body of the car when the door is closed... if it is on the driver's side door, it is on the way left....
One under the door armrest, inside that compartment on the door which I dont know what to do with.. you know that one where in other cars with much more space, you can stash a whole bunch of junk..papers..etc...
and one hidden in the door-opener latch.. the chrome one... you have to remove the plastic cover behind the latch using a flathead screwdriver...cover it with cloth or something to avoid scratches.. put it in the hole between the lock and the plastic piece (cover) and pry up...

Now... pull towards you on the sides of the panels... there are several locking pins that have to be disengaged...
pull upwards on the doorpanel part closest to the rear of the vehicle... slide backwards pulling upwards on the part of the door panel closer to the front of the car... Be sure not to jerk it backwards too much as I did... I broke a plastic piece connecting the lock wire to the door...
remove the wiring inside...
carefully remove the lock and the doolatch wire... be sure to slide the part connecting the wire to the door panel off first..looks like it is screw in type.. but it isnt.I just pulled it away from the door panel... then remove the ball attachment (at the end of the wire)to the lock and the door handle using a flathead screwdriver to get it out of there...

the procedure for the rear doors is similar but you have to remove the ashtray and window control panel.easy...just use a flathead with cloth or something to prevent scratches.. and pry the panel off.because there is a hidden screw there... this is the plastic panel that holds the ashtray and window control... you'll see where it meets the vinyl door armrest part...just pry between them...
remove the screws on the bottom part of the panel.. remove the screw on the side closest to the rear of the vehicle.. and do the same procedure with the hidden one behind the doorlatch..

dont trust anyone else with your car unless they are the lexus certified techs...even then ... they may break your car.. if they are not experienced...

Last edited by babyGS3; 03-19-01 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-20-01, 04:23 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Manny,

Ahhh....you are learning Grasshoppah!

"Master P" (Percy)
SQ Heavy. Gene is SQ Lite.
Old 03-23-01, 06:56 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

babyGS3,

Thanks for the "manual". You really do have this down. Appreciate the help.