Sponsored by:

92 ES CD Changer problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 01:52 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 92 ES CD Changer problem

Ok, guys and gals -- my CD Changer in my 92 ES has not functioned for a while, and I am SICK of the radio. The CD button on the radio itself does not light up, but the open button on the changer does light up. When I press the open button nothing happens, likewise when I press the CD button on the radio. Any troubleshooting suggestions on this one? Or should I start the search for an aftermarket changer?
Old 12-17-02, 01:49 AM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 92 es 300 cd changer troubleshooting

i would guess that one of the 2 fuses that power the changer is blown. 1 fuse is in the on all the time circuit and the other fuse is the switched to ignition fuse. the 2 different fuses keeps the changer powered so it has memory to start where it left off. when you turn the car back on the changer starts playing where you left it. if you replace the fuse the changer should work fine. a repair shop would probably have changed the fuse and charged several hundered dollars.................................................................................................................by the way the changers from most 92 es 300 have worked 10 years. it was one of the best changers pioneer ever made. a version of that m series changer is still in the 2002 740il. an aftermarket changer would give you 1 or 2 years service at the most. plus it would be fm modulated and would have to run through the fm radio antenna port thereby not turning the amp on to high fidelity like keying up the cd button does...................................................................................................................... i could refurbish your es 300 changer for less than the cost of a cheap aftermarket changer and you would have an essentially new 1200.00 lexus factory cd changer made in japan. the current aftermarket pioneer changer is made in malaysia with a 1 year warranty and can barely make it one year before breaking. the best bet is have the your factory made in japan changer refurbished.
Old 12-17-02, 06:49 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ES300 CD CHANGER POWER CONNECTIONS.

THE ORANGE LIGHT ON THE CD CHANGER BUTTON IS POWERED BY THE RADIO WHICH ON MOST LEXUS IS A 25 AMP FUSE CALLED "RADIO #1" .SINCE THE RADIO WORKS IT IS PROBABLY THE OTHER FUSE THAT POWERS THE CD CHANGER. A 7.5 AMP FUSE ON THE FUSE PANEL UNDER THE DASH. I AM TRYING TO FIND MY ES300 ELECTRICAL SERVICE MANUAL SO I CAN GIVE EXACT FUSE NUMBER OF THE 7.5 AMP FUSE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I FIND IT.
Old 12-17-02, 06:57 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: ES300 CD CHANGER POWER CONNECTIONS.

Originally posted by lexusaudio
THE ORANGE LIGHT ON THE CD CHANGER BUTTON IS POWERED BY THE RADIO WHICH ON MOST LEXUS IS A 25 AMP FUSE CALLED "RADIO #1" .SINCE THE RADIO WORKS IT IS PROBABLY THE OTHER FUSE THAT POWERS THE CD CHANGER. A 7.5 AMP FUSE ON THE FUSE PANEL UNDER THE DASH. I AM TRYING TO FIND MY ES300 ELECTRICAL SERVICE MANUAL SO I CAN GIVE EXACT FUSE NUMBER OF THE 7.5 AMP FUSE. I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I FIND IT.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 12-19-02, 01:51 AM
mikeofnc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem on my 92 es300. The tray was stuck in the player and would not play or eject. What I did was disconnect the changer at the rear of the unit in the trunk. Leave it disconnected for several minutes (would recommend 10 or there abouts) then reconnect. It will go through its loading cycle. This resets the changer. Mine has worked without a problem since.