Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

tips on replacing stock speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02 | 07:04 AM
642jdub
Rookie

Cool tips on replacing stock speakers

I have been listening to my 1992 ES300 stock system and want to upgrade the speakers. I've added 2 10' subs and it sounds decent. Anybody have any suggestions for replacing the stock speakers. I want to add more highs and maybe some coaxials.

Does anyone have the specs on the stock pioneer speakers that are in there and is there specific specs that I need to be compatible with the stock amp?

Thanks
Old 12-17-02 | 01:01 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

*****tip*****
Back speakers...use coaxial 6x9, either 2 way or three. while you're back there; it's a good time to dynamat the rear deck.

front speakers...use componants. they'll give you better resolution and there's a space for the tweeter anyway. while you're in the door; it's a good time to dynamat them too.

the dash speakers are TRUE 3in speakers that you won't find. i suggest just killing them by messing them up with a screwdriver. they will just sound horrid if you change the rest of your speakers. i've actually mounted some kicker r13 tweets in there.

as for compatibility with the stock amp. i wouldn't worry about it. the amp is pushing out so little power that i'm pretty sure if you're going to go through all the trouble to change all the speakers, you'll want to add some amps very soon. you're not going to get anywhere near full speaker potential with that stock amp.

***another tip***
if you're running your subs from the back speakers; you're not getting much bass. i'm thinking the rear speakers are crossed over at the stock amp, so you're not getting much bass. i have my stock head unit for a little while longer and my subs are lined from the front door woofers.

*question to anyone*
-what the heck is a baffle and what does it do? do i need one?
Old 12-17-02 | 02:10 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

A baffle would be a ring of MDF that would be mounted to the door, then your mid would mount to the baffle. This will generally get a more solid mount for the mid and better seal to the door. Another trick I just picked up (haven't tried it yet but trust it's source 100%) is to cover the back of the baffles with multiple layers of silicon, letting them dry before applying the next. Get a few layers on there, up to 1/4" thick, then mount them to the doors. The silicon will help isolate the mechanical action of the speaker from the door panel, meaning more midbass and less vibration.

With a baffle, you should be able to easily fit a 6.5" mid in the ES doors, I fit a very beefy 6.5" without too much trouble. I enlarged the hole in the door slightly, then used a baffle almost 1.5" thick. It's a little bit of a tight fit, but my 6.5's have a 3" mounting depth and large motor/magnet structure, most shouldn't be this difficult.

I hope this works, but I'll try to get a picture up of my door with the sound deadening (RAAMmat60) and baffle.
Attached Thumbnails tips on replacing stock speakers-midbass1.jpg  
Old 12-17-02 | 03:27 PM
DJ SprinklesNJO
Lexus Test Driver

Im not sure what car u have, but i just did this mod to my RX, i have subs in it and now i just replaced all the factory speakers leaving the stock amp in. i used infinity referance series speakers, coaxils in back and components up front. it is def clearer sounding, and a little louder but not much, i def love them, sounds great. put an amp on them and it'll sound awesome.

i have pics of my installtion process and baffles. but i wont be able to post them till the weekend or so.
Old 12-21-02 | 03:20 AM
jewelberry
Driver School Candidate

Default Stock replacement

Yes, 6x9 rear, 6 1/2 components for front doors, and people say 3" for front dash, but I'm gussing 2.5" max foo unmodified drop-in fit. Nothing available for front dash you say? Well if you look hard enough you may still be able to find one like I did. It's and older model 2" 2-way coaxial midrange/tweeter from JBL, model #C2205. It is a coax high frequency driver with neodymium magnet and Vaccum ion deposit Titanium tweeter with frequencies from 500hz to 20khz+, with 10w-100w rms power requirement. Even with my clean Polk teeters in my stock tweeter location running at 50w rms, the addition of this tiny JBL coacxials in the dash is truly concert quality. The unit comes with a pair of x-overs that can also connect a set of mids (Just in case if I want to add a q-form kickpanel with an extra pair of 6.5s). I've had tweeters in my dash before and believe me it is just not the same! And listen to J2the0e about replacing the stock amp - your new speakers will love you. I use a 4 ch fosgate to run the front door and dash, a 2ch for the rear 6x9, another 2ch bridged to run my 3 10" DVCs in the trunk, and lastly, a center channel clarion with a built-in amp - yes, my sound system is cleanly separated using a dolby prologic processor built-in headunit. Sounds pretty good.