Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Very Low Sound From Speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 06:15 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SC300, Orange Connector Under Rear Seat, What It Do?

What all is controlled by that orange connector under the rear passenger seat? Can i drive with it disconnected?

Still all stock audio stuff in my '95.

I was driving on the highway playing my ipod then all of a sudden the sound disappears. Radio works fine.

I was turning the volume **** to see wtf. If I turn it ALL the way up, I can hear some sound but faintly.

I did some research and pulled up it could be the amplifier? If so, anyone in Md have an amp I can scoop up? I can't drive without the radio.

My trunk has been leaking, just when I got around today to seal off one possible leak, this happens. But I havent look at the amp yet to see if its wet. And it's going to rain for the next day or two.

I've been thinking about an aftermarket radio, always liked Sony. If I can install that and can still use the factory volume/ power button and factory sub amp, then I'll do it.

Last edited by TheAzn; 05-08-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-07-13, 06:34 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best aftermarket radios for your buck right now are coming from Pioneer. I like Sony, but they're new units just aren't up to par. It does sound like your problem is the amp though. With some modding I'm sure you can get the volume *** to work with an after market unit. I'm going to make my volume *** adjust sub bass in my car when I get my stuff all hooked up.
Old 05-07-13, 06:37 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Or if I have to rid that **** altogether, I'll need to figure out what to put there. Not a push start.
Old 05-07-13, 07:46 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Use it as a Epicenter controller by Audio Control.
Old 05-07-13, 09:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAzn
Still all stock audio stuff in my '95.

I was driving on the highway playing my ipod then all of a sudden the sound disappears. Radio works fine.
This is not very definitive. Either you lost all sound OR it works fine on the radio - just not the ipod. A lot of people chunk the entire thing, but there is no use. it's just an amp like any other amp. All the connections are back there ready for you to drop another amp in it's place. If you use a similarly smaller amp you won't even have to bump the wiring up to larger gauge wire.

Another question is how are you connecting the ipad to the factory system? Modulator, aux in mod, etc?
Old 05-07-13, 09:55 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
This is not very definitive. Either you lost all sound OR it works fine on the radio - just not the ipod. A lot of people chunk the entire thing, but there is no use. it's just an amp like any other amp. All the connections are back there ready for you to drop another amp in it's place. If you use a similarly smaller amp you won't even have to bump the wiring up to larger gauge wire.

Another question is how are you connecting the ipad to the factory system? Modulator, aux in mod, etc?
since this thread has been moved, this vehicle is a 1995 Lexus SC300.

I still have all factory stock audio equipment, not sure Pioneer or Naka.

I did the DIY Aux mod; basically cut the A/V cable behind the radio that leads to/ from the CD changer and hook up an Aux Cable to it. So now on CD mode, it reads my Ipod And works great!

As for the no sound issue.... If I turn the volume **** all the way up, I can hear anything faintly. This would be in any mode (AM, FM, CD, etc).

And to update this so far: I have done a bit more research and have narrowed it down to the factory cell phone wiring/ unit. I found a website that specifically talked about this issue. If you lift the rear seat cushion up, there will be two large wire connectors on the driver side rear. The site said if I disconnected the orange connector and the sound comes back in full, it is a possible short in the "mute" wire that is for the factory cell phone. So, I disconnected the orange connector and the sound goes back to normal Here's a picture:

The website said that the orange connector can be corroded from water leaks OR the cell phone unit in the trunk (driver side, behind trunk cover). The orange connector I fondled with is perfectly fine. I haven't got a chance to go thru the trunk completely yet, but I pulled the cover to take a quick peak and found a trail of water traveling down the antenna............ ultimately, I'm sure it is watering the cell phone unit, shorting it and ultimately muting my radio.

Here's the site http://carstereohelp.com/repairDoItY...sRepairVol.htm

Before I get a chance to source and fix the actual problem, can I drive my car like usual with that orange connector being disconnected? I checked to see if everything works with it disconnected, I only found that the light in the trunk would not come on and I read somewhere that the door ajar indicator on the dash will not light when the door is open.

Last edited by TheAzn; 05-07-13 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-08-13, 12:55 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

To update:

I have emptied my trunk out complete; all my crap, mats, coverings. I knew I had a water leak but I couldnt exactly pinpoint. But now I can make a conclusion.

My trunk has an aftermarket spoiler installed prior to me owning the SC. Since it hasn't rain much until now, I'm now going through frustrations of a water leak in the trunk. No gasket was used on the bolts that attaches the spoiler. Rain water would simply access through those holes, travel along the edges of the trunk lid seams, travel down the trunk latch since that is the lowest point of the lid, down to a ledge and the water would travel to either side where the factory amps would be and collect there.

I have an inch or so of water on the passenger side in the trunk under the amp and lesser on the driver side.

I'm sure the water splashes around when I drive causing intermittent shorts until it dries. Luckily, I don't think the amp has been compromised.
Old 05-09-13, 12:26 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Problem solved (hopefully).

My sunroof drain tube was not exiting through the hole so all the water that would go through the tube would collect under the amp in the passenger rear in the trunk. So I stuck the tube back where it belongs. Also, I took clear plastic to cover over everything underneath the amp to ensure any future problems would not affect the amp.