Sponsored by:

Factory Remote Re-programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-03, 09:40 AM
gthenry1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Remote Re-programming

Does anyone know how to re-program the factory alarm for a 92 SC400? If so, I need help!!

Thanks,
GT

Happy New Year!!!!
Old 01-02-03, 01:47 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure what you are getting at here? What is there to reprogram? You click the single button on the key and it locks and sets the alarm. Are you saying that the alarm no longer works? Open a window and lock the car with the button on the key. Then try opening the door from the inside. If the alarm is not on then I can see why you would want to do something about it but otherwise it is fine. The arming the alarm does not make any noise on that year SC. Now later models had the beeps.

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-02-03 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-03-03, 09:31 AM
9inarow
Rookie

I'm curious about that lock button on the key. Is there a battery in there? How does it transmit a signal if there's no power? Can the battery die out after a decade?
Old 01-03-03, 12:42 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

The battery can die. If it is an earlier version there is a tiny screw in the key that leads to the battery. In at least the 96s the remote is separate from the key and easier to see the opening.

If you are having problems then make sure that the remote entry is enabled. There is a big switch under the steering wheel a little offset on the left. If this is off the remote option on the key is not functional.
Old 01-03-03, 02:06 PM
9inarow
Rookie

Thanx for the info. I think I may turn the remote key off. I just have a bad feeling of the key battery dying when I'm stuck in the middle of no where.

Also, do you guys know if we can turn off a Viper alarm? This alarm is useless to me. A pro thief is just gonna jack the car regardless. I know one day I'm gonna get stuck being unable to start the car because I can't turn off the alarm.
Old 01-03-03, 02:32 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by 9inarow
Thanx for the info. I think I may turn the remote key off. I just have a bad feeling of the key battery dying when I'm stuck in the middle of no where.

Also, do you guys know if we can turn off a Viper alarm? This alarm is useless to me. A pro thief is just gonna jack the car regardless. I know one day I'm gonna get stuck being unable to start the car because I can't turn off the alarm.
I think a little clarification is needed. The switch in the off position prevents the car from responding to the remote key. You can press the remote button and the car will not open/close but you will lose more power in the key. I do not know what the big deal is here since if the remote does not work then just use the key to open the door. The alarm will arm itself if the doors are locked. IS it that hard to use the actual physical key?

If you are that concerned about key battery life then I suggest you buy a backup battery for the key and keep a very small screw driver(eyeglass driver) and the battery in a small plastic bag.

I am still puzzled though why you would need the remote key if you were in the middle of nowhere... The alarm stops if you put the key in the car and turn.
Old 01-03-03, 02:56 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 95 SC400 and I have a master key but it has no remote on it or no seperate remote. I looked for the switch to turn the keyless entry on and off but I didnt find it. I dont know if keyless entry was standard or not back. Did all SC400's come with keyless entry?
Old 01-03-03, 02:58 PM
9inarow
Rookie

Default Hermosa

I guess I'm still overcome by all the newness of having an SC. Lots of things I've never had to deal with before. Alittle daunting.

Just as you said, I'd simply like to be able to open the door with the physical key ... like on every other car on the road. ha, ha. No buttons and no remotes ... and no damned alarms.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who hasn't found the lever to the gas cap door yet. ha, ha. I'll get the hang of things soon.

Off topic: do you guys change your own oil or do you take it in? Is the oil filter located in an accessible location?

I went to Lexus.com to order a manual, but they don't have my name in the database yet. I had to fill out the form and mail it to them. Mama mia.
Old 01-03-03, 03:05 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default well

might as well go aftermarket for what you want. Might be less of a headache
Old 01-03-03, 04:00 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jimmit
I have a 95 SC400 and I have a master key but it has no remote on it or no seperate remote. I looked for the switch to turn the keyless entry on and off but I didnt find it. I dont know if keyless entry was standard or not back. Did all SC400's come with keyless entry?
They all had remote entry. The switch as indicated before should be located under the steering column on the left. If you want Lexus to get you a remote key you would have to buy a new set of two keys ($300) and then install the chip ($100 labor).
Old 01-03-03, 04:54 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

I just ran out to the car again to make sure but....well take a look for youself....
Attached Thumbnails Factory Remote Re-programming-p1032062-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-03-03, 08:56 PM
9inarow
Rookie

Jimmit, you rule. But next time, include a hot senorita with your picture. ha, ha.

I'm not sure how I could have overlooked this ... it's so obvious. I gotta go out and take a look. It's raining freezing rain out right now, so I'll check in the morning when there's light. I drove it in the dark yesterday and couldn't find a damned thing. ha, ha.

I think she would look good naked in the backseat of my Lex ... oh yeah! Mamacita bonita!!!
Old 03-21-03, 03:35 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Battery

What battery is used for the key ??? When I bought my lex I got the master key but I didn't get the battery, does anyone know what battery is needed, please list if you can, thanx................

Shawn

BTW : She would like my back seat better ROFL

Last edited by asnatlas; 03-21-03 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-21-03, 03:41 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default I found this...

I found this on another post....

RalAegidius

ClubLexus Paid Member

Yah, after removing the screw, I use a knife blade to gently pry up the edge around the outside. It sorta snaps off. The battery is a 1216 lithium watch battery. Cost me $3.16 yesterday.

Is this the right battery............. anyone know ???
Old 08-05-03, 10:52 AM
PMcCoy3487
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Hermosa
The battery can die. If it is an earlier version there is a tiny screw in the key that leads to the battery. In at least the 96s the remote is separate from the key and easier to see the opening.

If you are having problems then make sure that the remote entry is enabled. There is a big switch under the steering wheel a little offset on the left. If this is off the remote option on the key is not functional.

I recently replaced the battery in the remote master key for my 1995 SC 400 and the key still doesn't operate remotely (was working last week and then stopped working).

Not sure if the key needs reprogramming after battery replacement or not; dealer says that my key is bad but I'm not sure I believe that. HELP!

Quick Reply: Factory Remote Re-programming