Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Larger Than 4” Speakers – HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-03 | 03:35 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Default Anyone with Larger Than 4” Speakers – HELP!

My stereo is being installed today and I bought larger speakers for than the 4” stock size. They were able to fit 5.25 Boston’s in the rear but said there was almost no way to fit anything larger than 4” in the front. I’m trying to put in Boston 5.25 pro’s and I’m sure there’re members on here who have done this. They said the 4” was in a ported enclosure already and there would be no room to cut. Did you guys have to build a new bracket completely? Any pics would be a huge help. I need to tell them by this evening!
Old 01-07-03 | 03:57 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Evo,

This is pretty easy to do. If the installer you are using thinks the fronts are PORTED then ask him to put it back together and head to a better shop. They are sealed but have a funny hole that goes thru the box and not into it.

To mount in 5" or 6" speakers, all you need to do is unscrew the front cover of the box, and then replace it with a piece of 1/2-3/4 MDF wood. Then just jigsaw out a new hole. Takes less than an hour to accomplish.

If you search, you will find pics of cars that have done this. I put 5.25" components in my SC and they work great. DO NOT have them pull the boxes completely, that is overkill and would degregate the sound quality unless he built a better enclosure.

MW
Old 01-07-03 | 04:09 PM
octane300
Lead Lap

Angry

I had Sound Advice put 5.25's in the doors for my sc300. They did a hack job by simply BREAKING the black plastic enclosure that you set the speaker in and screw into place. Pretty sad, especially considering they call themselves pros and brag about all the custom work they do. Schotty, but effective.
Old 01-07-03 | 04:36 PM
DeadRinger
Rookie

Originally posted by pcmw
[B]This is pretty easy to do. If the installer you are using thinks the fronts are PORTED then ask him to put it back together and head to a better shop. They are sealed but have a funny hole that goes thru the box and not into it.

My 4" speakers are in a ported enclosure also. Perhaps yours are just different.
Old 01-07-03 | 04:39 PM
DeadRinger
Rookie

To mount in 5" or 6" speakers, all you need to do is unscrew the front cover of the box, and then replace it with a piece of 1/2-3/4 MDF wood. Then just jigsaw out a new hole. Takes less than an hour to accomplish.

That is the way to do it. I have 6.5's in the mine. One thing to keep track of is how the speaker will butt-up against the door panel... I had to move my speaker around on the baffle a few times to get it to clear and not hit the panel.
Old 01-07-03 | 06:12 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Evo,

This is pretty easy to do. If the installer you are using thinks the fronts are PORTED then ask him to put it back together and head to a better shop. They are sealed but have a funny hole that goes thru the box and not into it.

If you search, you will find pics of cars that have done this. I put 5.25" components in my SC and they work great. DO NOT have them pull the boxes completely, that is overkill and would degregate the sound quality unless he built a better enclosure.

MW
what he said. exactly. That is how i fit my boston pro 5.25s in the doors. not hard to do
Old 01-07-03 | 06:13 PM
xBlkGs430x
Lead Lap

thats BS, i put 6.5 polk momo in the rear...and 5.25 fokal in front, i just had to cut the plastic box in the front a little bigger...and cut out a little bigger hole in the back...it sounds soooo much better and i like it..i did not have anyone do it because i know they will screw everything up, i took my time and did it and it was well worth it, but you can do it.
Old 01-07-03 | 09:29 PM
EvoTuned
Driver

Thanks for all the info. The problem I’m facing now is he thinks the stock 4’s will sound better than modify the enclosure to put the Boston 5.5’s in. So he left the stock 4's in the front. I’m overall happy with the sound but I was expecting a lot crisper. He was also thinking of putting in 4" pro's but I've already purchased the 5.5's. I have Boston RX’s 5.25’s in the rear and they seem to drown out the stock fronts.

rhart00, did you notice a significant improvement with the pro’s over the stock ones?

Last edited by EvoTuned; 01-08-03 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-07-03 | 10:11 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

My fronts are ported also (I have a gs though).

So you guys kept the stock enclosure?
I installed the dyn mw160 and i didnt use the enclosure. But I always kinda felt the midbase was lacking a little. Dont get me wrong, there was a HUGE improvement, but if I use he enclosure (which i think is impossible due to room constrant) will it sound that much better?
Old 01-08-03 | 12:12 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

GS stock speakers reside in a ABS plastic ported housing. If you look closely at the housing, you'll find that there is another duct that leads to the port. The 4 inch stocker should be tuned to around 80hz. This is for the 2nd Gen GS...no idea on the others.

Fierce,

Pretty much everything will sound better with a dedicated enclosure. The interior of the GS door is just "half a**ing" it, but it'll do in most cases. The main problem is room constraint. Can't really stick in 3/4 inch MDF treated material and try to build an enclosure within the space constraints.

A quick fix for lacking midbass is to use the good old parametric (or graphic 30 band) eq. Should bump it up to your liking.

Percy
Old 01-08-03 | 12:12 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Evo:

Try to have the gain for your rears turned down so that you get only rear fill and they're not overpowering the fronts (unless you really love the rear image, which is like going to a concert and sitting with your back to the stage).
You will probably see an improvement in sound by replacing the front 4" stock with anything. The 4" Boston Pro's would be a good choice. pcmw's hybrid enclosure would do the trick if you go with larger.
(I have pics of GS MDF panels that replace the enclosures in the Member's area if you're interested.)
What did you do with the stock tweeters? Still there?
Old 01-08-03 | 05:36 PM
DPGS430
Driver

I installed 7" MW160 Dyn's in my doors also, thanks to Percy's excellent book.....no problem at all and my hits down to 63hz.
Attached Thumbnails -dsc00259.jpg  
Old 01-09-03 | 11:38 AM
rhart00
Pole Position

Originally posted by EvoTuned
rhart00, did you notice a significant improvement with the pro’s over the stock ones?
there is no comparison. it sounds 1000 times better than stock.
Old 01-14-03 | 01:04 PM
damon
Racer

Default Percy?

What is Percy's excellent book? My audio situation is pretty pathetic, original Pioneer with trunk changer and I'm looking to upgrade.

thanks, damon

Hey DPGS430, looks like a really clean install!

Last edited by damon; 01-14-03 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-15-03 | 05:31 PM
DPGS430
Driver

Thanks Damon, Just taking my time. Doing a little here, a little there.