Sponsored by:

Insulating foam Vs Expanding foam

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 02:22 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insulating foam Vs Expanding foam

they are both expanding but i bought some DAP TEX Insulating foam sealant and is suppose to be using around windows and stuff for insulation. i was wondering if this is good enough for sound deadening and to stop vibration. i have never touched regular expaning foam before so i don't konw if this is too soft. i sprayed some in the trash about 2 hours ago and its still soo soft and foamy type of feeling. its at room temperature. is this too soft to stop vibration?
Old 01-14-03, 02:27 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i just blow dried it for about 1 min right now and it feels soft and squishy. is this good enough to stop vibration or do i need something more solid. i read that regular expanding foam can bend metal. there is no way on earth this can even bend paper.
Old 01-14-03, 02:34 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This won't totally answer you're question, but expanding foam generally takes about 8 hours to cure, so give it a little more time and see how it ends up.

I don't know if the stuff you're trying would work, but you want something that will harden. If you're worried about bending panels, I've heard of a latex expanding foam that won't do it.
Old 01-14-03, 10:33 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

yes the bottle i have is Latex based, it said it takes 24 hours to cure. its been around 24 hours now and it is still soft and squishy like foam
Old 01-15-03, 02:22 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't used the latex stuff, I guess it doesn't harden totally. I have heard it works, so hopefully you're alright. Maybe Retro or somebody knows a little bit more about this particular stuff than I do.
Old 01-15-03, 04:25 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, I have played with Dap Tex before. First of all this thing never gets to solid state. Secondly, it won't sounddeaden any panels since it is way too weak and light to add mass to a metal panel. Thirdly, you do not want to install it on your roof since if something touches or rubs against is, it would start falling off in crumps.

I would use it for getting read of the road noise on the panels that can not be moved (unlike doors). Also make sure you don't lay anything on top of this foam since it would disintegrate. It's a good solution for a select number of spaces.

Old 01-15-03, 06:46 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Pete, What kind should i use then thats more solid. i sprayed it all into the creaks of my trunk and it seems to help the car a lot. sounds more solid when i knock on the outside. i heard the other types can bend metal. like i said before there is no way this thing can bend metal. maybe i'll go buy a few more cans of the real stuff and overspray it into my trunk door.
Old 01-15-03, 07:22 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a lot of stff you can get in home depot. you would need minimum expansion foam. It is easier to keep under controll and it gets rock solid after a day or 2. Just ask around for the foam that gets rock solid end expands the least.
Old 01-15-03, 07:24 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

so how do i undo all this. i took out the lining on my trunk door and filled in all the holes. should i just spray more of this other stuff in?? or should i just forget it?
Old 01-16-03, 03:00 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

man, just bought some "great stuff" expanding foam from home depot. this stuff is definetly much more solid. the Dap Tex stuff is squishy when its dry. but this "great stuff" is much more solid and hard. i threw it around and it actually bounces its soo hard. the best i can describe the Dap Tex stuff is like cotton.

so pretty much don't buy Dap Tex.
Old 01-16-03, 04:01 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use the foam to fill in odd holes and stuff but for panel deadening it would be a good idea to use undercoating or dynamat......
Old 01-17-03, 09:57 PM
BlvdKing
Driver

If you are using the regular expanding insulation foam be very careful. If you put too much in and it has no where to escape it will then do what you are talking about bend a body panel. I had a friend that put this stuff in his trunk lid and just filled it and he went in the house and when it expanded it separated the trunk lid into 2 pieces so he had a nice surprise when he came out of the house in the morning. :eek: