Sponsored by:

sc400 audio

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 02:52 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
The Kickers should be fine. Crutchfield has other 4" Speakers, but would require a little tweaking, and I'm not sure what kind of tweaking PC Richards would do to get them to fit. For example Alpine SPS 410's...cheaper and superior...

For the rears the Kicker KS60 should be fine.
so im told that i should go with the focal k2 4in crossover kit.

Originally Posted by BigManne
this post is making my brain hurt with all the misinformation.
lol me too
Old 11-04-13, 06:37 PM
SportC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my SC I have the Nak unit everything works great except for one of the door speakers and one of the back speakers they all still sound good just rattle a bit when the bass starts pumping. So I'm just looking to replace the two door speakers and two rear speakers with something equivalent that will run on the stock set up and sound as good or better. With that being said what are my choices for speakers?
Old 11-04-13, 06:41 PM
hoosier58
Pole Position

You are on a Lexus forum.

There are some excellent car audio forums.

The members there, even though they encourage you to put 1200w amps and four subs into your trunk, will also be very helpful if you're trying to do something more modest. I wired pawn shop products into my '90 Trooper and '85 RV, and ended up with good sound for not much money at all. If you're polite, they'll help steer you to the best choices.
Old 11-04-13, 07:36 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4o0
lol me too
How would you know what the misinformation is?? You're the one who started the thread...

Anyways, I would recommend calling or going to a local audio shop. I imagine there are quite a few in NY/NJ area. Just see what they recommend for the setup you've got. I'm sure that one of the shops could hook you up with some decent speakers installed. Just shop around.
Old 11-05-13, 01:23 PM
sc4hunnit
Driver

I just got done with doing this. It's not an easy task whilst trying to utilize stock items. Now, what is "blown"? The speakers? The amp? The head unit? Regardless, I recommend replacing most of what you can.

I recommend (for now) getting a new head unit, and get a 4 or 5 channel amplifier. Use the factory amp harness to power your speakers. Use this for reference: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html

It's accurate to the best of my knowlege as far as speaker poliarity and location. Since I had a Nak system in mine, there were a couple things that i had to do that were different from the pioneer stereo. Use those wires to power your door and rear deck speakers.

As far as the subwoofer, if there is anything connected to it, disconeect it. I belive there is some form of active crossover there. Run the wires from the sub output on your 5channel amp )or use a 3 or 4 channel if you dont mind losing the fade feature), low pass that channel and put bass freq only. you may have to play with the gain because that sub is only good for 100w.

At least that way, you can have good sound. The factory amp limits the volume output of the aftermarket radio as well. That's not cool. Also, you can by the cheaper harness adapter that doesn't use the RCA's to supply signal to the factory amp.

Now, the speakers. Take out all those 4in things and toss them. 4in speakers arent going to make you happy. It's going to be very "pop" like, as in popping sounds) What i did with mine was use 6.5's in the back, and I modded my front door speaker pods to house a 5.25 component set. Immedatly you can hear the difference. The 4in speakers are great to replace with the factory head unit, but i suggest you upgrade for a bit more depth in your cars soundstage. The rear speakers can be as deep as they want. You can modify the factory rear speaker housings to accomodate the 6.5's easily. the front depth varies really, it's more about the pitch ot the basket in that case of using a 5.25" or 6.5" in the fronts.

I hope my experience with my car helps you with yours.
Old 11-05-13, 01:25 PM
sc4hunnit
Driver

BTW

Rockford > Kicker.

They don't sell Rockford at Wal-Mart!
Old 11-07-13, 11:24 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 99rx
How would you know what the misinformation is?? You're the one who started the thread...

Anyways, I would recommend calling or going to a local audio shop. I imagine there are quite a few in NY/NJ area. Just see what they recommend for the setup you've got. I'm sure that one of the shops could hook you up with some decent speakers installed. Just shop around.
im still confused on audio in general, i passed by a couple shops but they were more concerned on charging me $ and selling me equipment i dont need rather then help me.
Old 11-07-13, 11:26 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SportC400
In my SC I have the Nak unit everything works great except for one of the door speakers and one of the back speakers they all still sound good just rattle a bit when the bass starts pumping. So I'm just looking to replace the two door speakers and two rear speakers with something equivalent that will run on the stock set up and sound as good or better. With that being said what are my choices for speakers?
lol your in the same boat as me, my guess is just stop by a reputable shop and get their opinion. thats what im doing until i fully understand.
Old 11-07-13, 11:29 AM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc4hunnit
I just got done with doing this. It's not an easy task whilst trying to utilize stock items. Now, what is "blown"? The speakers? The amp? The head unit? Regardless, I recommend replacing most of what you can.

I recommend (for now) getting a new head unit, and get a 4 or 5 channel amplifier. Use the factory amp harness to power your speakers. Use this for reference: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html

It's accurate to the best of my knowlege as far as speaker poliarity and location. Since I had a Nak system in mine, there were a couple things that i had to do that were different from the pioneer stereo. Use those wires to power your door and rear deck speakers.

As far as the subwoofer, if there is anything connected to it, disconeect it. I belive there is some form of active crossover there. Run the wires from the sub output on your 5channel amp )or use a 3 or 4 channel if you dont mind losing the fade feature), low pass that channel and put bass freq only. you may have to play with the gain because that sub is only good for 100w.

At least that way, you can have good sound. The factory amp limits the volume output of the aftermarket radio as well. That's not cool. Also, you can by the cheaper harness adapter that doesn't use the RCA's to supply signal to the factory amp.

Now, the speakers. Take out all those 4in things and toss them. 4in speakers arent going to make you happy. It's going to be very "pop" like, as in popping sounds) What i did with mine was use 6.5's in the back, and I modded my front door speaker pods to house a 5.25 component set. Immedatly you can hear the difference. The 4in speakers are great to replace with the factory head unit, but i suggest you upgrade for a bit more depth in your cars soundstage. The rear speakers can be as deep as they want. You can modify the factory rear speaker housings to accomodate the 6.5's easily. the front depth varies really, it's more about the pitch ot the basket in that case of using a 5.25" or 6.5" in the fronts.

I hope my experience with my car helps you with yours.
Originally Posted by sc4hunnit
BTW

Rockford > Kicker.

They don't sell Rockford at Wal-Mart!
i really am leaning towards the focal setup, 4" crossover w/tweeters in the front and 6.5s in the back. im gunna leave the stock amp for the stock sub and wire in my 4ch amp for now.
Old 11-07-13, 11:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
bypass the wires in the trunk at the amp. Then wire the head unit in, then jumper the wire on the rear deck lid and you'll have sub, all 4 speakers, tweeters and power antenna. Search there is a thread on how to do this.
Maybe I can help out, this is the correct way to install an aftermarket head unit in an SC and bypass the stock amp.

if your new headunit is amplified, you run the wires for all your speakers, sub and remote amp on wire all to the trunk, and then you take off the connector going out of the stock amp to the speakers (not the wires going in from the old headunit that is what we are bypassing), you cut those wires off the connector (leaving some if you want to go back ever), and wire your new wires from your new headunit directly to the 4 speakers bypassing the stock amp.
Then your sub wires and remote wire on should go to a seperate amp for the sub, you can just run a new wire since the sub will be sticking into the trunk anyways.
If you are using a headunit that is not amplified or you want an external 4 channel amplifier, you just run your new headunit wires to the amp first, then to the wires cut from the connector going to the speakers.

I don't remember the pinouts but there is a thread showing how to do it. its not that hard to run the wires down the passenger side of the car, usually you will have a sub wire (or battery wire if you relocated to trunk) running down the drivers side so it sort of evens it out.
thread see step H for pinouts.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html

I run all the stock speakers and a 10" kicker on the rear deck with its own amplifier, and the sound is definitely acceptable. better speakers all around would probably make it sound even better.

I am moving this to the audio section now because thats where all audio specific topics go as they usually relate to alot of the models, and you can do a search in there for SC300 or sc400 etc. to find threads specific to your car.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-07-13 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-08-13, 04:47 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Maybe I can help out, this is the correct way to install an aftermarket head unit in an SC and bypass the stock amp.

if your new headunit is amplified, you run the wires for all your speakers, sub and remote amp on wire all to the trunk, and then you take off the connector going out of the stock amp to the speakers (not the wires going in from the old headunit that is what we are bypassing), you cut those wires off the connector (leaving some if you want to go back ever), and wire your new wires from your new headunit directly to the 4 speakers bypassing the stock amp.
Then your sub wires and remote wire on should go to a seperate amp for the sub, you can just run a new wire since the sub will be sticking into the trunk anyways.
If you are using a headunit that is not amplified or you want an external 4 channel amplifier, you just run your new headunit wires to the amp first, then to the wires cut from the connector going to the speakers.

I don't remember the pinouts but there is a thread showing how to do it. its not that hard to run the wires down the passenger side of the car, usually you will have a sub wire (or battery wire if you relocated to trunk) running down the drivers side so it sort of evens it out.
thread see step H for pinouts.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...b-working.html

I run all the stock speakers and a 10" kicker on the rear deck with its own amplifier, and the sound is definitely acceptable. better speakers all around would probably make it sound even better.

I am moving this to the audio section now because thats where all audio specific topics go as they usually relate to alot of the models, and you can do a search in there for SC300 or sc400 etc. to find threads specific to your car.
this was very helpful, thanks, ill try to post piks.