Sponsored by:

sc400 audio

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-13, 02:13 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 audio

guys/girls, im having an issue with my speakers. my stock setup is blown "non nak". ive contacted best buys auto department and they told me ill need 6 1/2 doors and rear deck, total 500 w/tax, install, equipment, labor and speakers.

i called crutchfield who recommended 5.25 front and back and is incl shipping and install equipment for 119.99.

i searched the forums up & down and it looks like 4in front an rear are recommended.

which size is it? and why are their depth and height issues narrowing down my speaker options?

kicker or rockford?

im usually DIY but when comes to audio or electricals im lost
Old 10-25-13, 02:21 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

i have an alpine mrp-f300 ready to be wired in, but am i allowed to leave the stock amp for the tweetys and sub?
Old 10-25-13, 02:49 PM
SquatedSC
Driver School Candidate

I think you would want to run an aftermarket amp with aftermarket headunit. sound quality would be better through the aftermarket headunit without using the factory amp anyway but you would loose your tweater crossovers and sub output
Old 10-25-13, 02:52 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SquatedSC
I think you would want to run an aftermarket amp with aftermarket headunit. sound quality would be better through the aftermarket headunit without using the factory amp anyway but you would loose your tweater crossovers and sub output
why? as long as everythings wired correctly it should be fine! or am i missing something???
Old 10-25-13, 09:33 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

anybody???
Old 10-25-13, 10:20 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

speaker sizes varies. thoes recommendations are for oem fitment. you'd be suprised what can actually fit if you take out all the plastic acoustic backings and find other ways for the screws to go into. speaker covers can get annoying.

height and width are just important for fitment. with some fiberglass you can put 10's in the doors if you really wanted to.

main thing to look for is ohm and wattage but generally
in subs magnet size and surround rebound(rubber ouside of cone)
in speakers cone,voice coil, magnet size.

aftermarket speakers have a different (higher) range of wattage and ohm vs what the stock head/amp units can supply.

a aftermarket head supplies more than what the stock speakers can handle.

rockford < kicker

wiring speakers isn't hard at all it's just positive and negitive left right rear front pwr grd signal/remote most of them have connectors. even the amps are pretty straight forward alot of diagrams out there.
Old 10-26-13, 04:12 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The doors and rear deck stock are both 4 Inch. The subwoofer is a 10" Shallow Mounted Sub. The reason your seeing different sizes is because they are easily moddable for bigger sizes, which you should do as it will sound better. I think 5.25 Doors and 6.5 Rears are what I'm going with, but search for other peoples set ups.

As SCstone said "a aftermarket head supplies more than what the stock speakers can handle."....which is why most stock speakers are blown when paired with an aftermarket head unit as people tend to crank it and over power the stocks and break them.

I'm going to replace everything soon. A 5 channel amp, new speakers for the door, and rear deck as well as a new 10" sub. If you replace the speakers in the doors you should really put some dynamat down as those doors will vibrate quite a bit after taking them out and putting them back on.
Old 10-27-13, 08:30 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCstone
speaker sizes varies. thoes recommendations are for oem fitment. you'd be suprised what can actually fit if you take out all the plastic acoustic backings and find other ways for the screws to go into. speaker covers can get annoying.

height and width are just important for fitment. with some fiberglass you can put 10's in the doors if you really wanted to.

main thing to look for is ohm and wattage but generally
in subs magnet size and surround rebound(rubber ouside of cone)
in speakers cone,voice coil, magnet size.

aftermarket speakers have a different (higher) range of wattage and ohm vs what the stock head/amp units can supply.

a aftermarket head supplies more than what the stock speakers can handle.

rockford < kicker

wiring speakers isn't hard at all it's just positive and negitive left right rear front pwr grd signal/remote most of them have connectors. even the amps are pretty straight forward alot of diagrams out there.
thanks, this really helped. im gunna go with kicker, and im gunna leave my stock amp for the tweeters and sub and wire in the alpine (4ch) for the doors and deck.
Old 10-27-13, 08:34 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biddles
The doors and rear deck stock are both 4 Inch. The subwoofer is a 10" Shallow Mounted Sub. The reason your seeing different sizes is because they are easily moddable for bigger sizes, which you should do as it will sound better. I think 5.25 Doors and 6.5 Rears are what I'm going with, but search for other peoples set ups.

As SCstone said "a aftermarket head supplies more than what the stock speakers can handle."....which is why most stock speakers are blown when paired with an aftermarket head unit as people tend to crank it and over power the stocks and break them.

I'm going to replace everything soon. A 5 channel amp, new speakers for the door, and rear deck as well as a new 10" sub. If you replace the speakers in the doors you should really put some dynamat down as those doors will vibrate quite a bit after taking them out and putting them back on.
ok so because i love stock and oem im gunna stick with the size recommended products, i dont want to alter anything on the car. im deff gunna throw a layer of dynamat on the doors for sure. goin with 4in kickers front & back. im not an audiophile so it'll sound good enough for me. they also have kenwood as an option but i think thats crappy.
Old 10-27-13, 09:47 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

what i ment was rockford owns kicker. kickers are only cool if you get square ones but a speaker isnt really designed to be a square its a cone to a voice coil in the center. subs are different because the bass-y ones dont have voice coils for highs like normal speakers do. some subs have voice coils. but imo you want normal speakers for highs and subs for lows. tweets for the really highs

kenwood is awesome for headunits not so much for speakers.

Last edited by SCstone; 10-27-13 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-27-13, 10:45 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC4o0
ok so because i love stock and oem im gunna stick with the size recommended products, i dont want to alter anything on the car. im deff gunna throw a layer of dynamat on the doors for sure. goin with 4in kickers front & back. im not an audiophile so it'll sound good enough for me. they also have kenwood as an option but i think thats crappy.
NO NO NO!!!!

Before you purchase anything....this is what you should do!

Order your speakers and head unit online, Amazon usually has the best prices on everything and best customer support. Also check with Crutchfield to make sure things fit, and accessories you need like Wire Harness, and Dash Kit. Then again buy that stuff all on Amazon.

Then take the new gear to an audio install shop just for the install, PC Richards I find does have great install only prices. $45 to professionally install a deck for example is a fair price. And you avoid buying gear there at there highly marked up prices.

Go and compare Best Buy's prices to Amazon, or Crutchfields to Amazon even...big difference.
Old 10-28-13, 10:17 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bypass the wires in the trunk at the amp. Then wire the head unit in, then jumper the wire on the rear deck lid and you'll have sub, all 4 speakers, tweeters and power antenna. Search there is a thread on how to do this.
Old 10-28-13, 03:52 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biddles
NO NO NO!!!!

Before you purchase anything....this is what you should do!

Order your speakers and head unit online, Amazon usually has the best prices on everything and best customer support. Also check with Crutchfield to make sure things fit, and accessories you need like Wire Harness, and Dash Kit. Then again buy that stuff all on Amazon.

Then take the new gear to an audio install shop just for the install, PC Richards I find does have great install only prices. $45 to professionally install a deck for example is a fair price. And you avoid buying gear there at there highly marked up prices.

Go and compare Best Buy's prices to Amazon, or Crutchfields to Amazon even...big difference.
i havent done anything yet biddles, but thanks for the heads up, im gunna check out pc richards install department, theres 2 within 10mi of my house, and idk best buy seems overpriced for their name. amazon always confused me, but ebays prices are dirt cheap.

Originally Posted by xxtoobsxx
bypass the wires in the trunk at the amp. Then wire the head unit in, then jumper the wire on the rear deck lid and you'll have sub, all 4 speakers, tweeters and power antenna. Search there is a thread on how to do this.
im gunna try to source out the thread but im lookin for someone to help me do this, lol im supposedly a certified electrician and audio is my kryptonite.

Originally Posted by SCstone
what i ment was rockford owns kicker. kickers are only cool if you get square ones but a speaker isnt really designed to be a square its a cone to a voice coil in the center. subs are different because the bass-y ones dont have voice coils for highs like normal speakers do. some subs have voice coils. but imo you want normal speakers for highs and subs for lows. tweets for the really highs

kenwood is awesome for headunits not so much for speakers.
hmm so now im back to square one, which is the better speaker?
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All...eaker_Size%7c4
those are my options
Old 10-28-13, 05:13 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

The Kickers should be fine. Crutchfield has other 4" Speakers, but would require a little tweaking, and I'm not sure what kind of tweaking PC Richards would do to get them to fit. For example Alpine SPS 410's...cheaper and superior...

For the rears the Kicker KS60 should be fine.
Old 10-28-13, 10:05 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

this post is making my brain hurt with all the misinformation.

Quick Reply: sc400 audio