Sponsored by:

Nakamichi acting up on me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03 | 09:11 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

Default Nakamichi acting up on me!

I was enjoying one of my many songs in my SC. Suddenly hit a VERY MINOR bump on the road.

It started from there, all I heard from my Nakamichi's was TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP!

You can hear my music come on and then "TAP" and then come back on again in fraction of a second. You hear the TAP more than the music. Its coming from all of my speakers at one time.

Its more like tapping on a piece of paper really fast.

I checked the CD changer to see if one of the CD's froze but that wasn't the problem.

I think its the amp that is causing this problem. What do you guys think?
Old 01-24-03 | 11:09 PM
Copout221
Driver

I wanted the NAK system in the GS I was going to buy and was talked out of it by these people >> http://carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm . They basically said the Nak audio systems were crap and unless the car I was buying was under the factory warranty I would be spending alot of $$ on it. They told me the amp's are notorious for having problems in all of the Nak systems.
Old 01-26-03 | 05:03 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Question cell phone

just a suggestion...is it the same noise as what a cell phone reception would make? When cell rings...it makes a tappin noise
Old 02-02-03 | 01:36 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

Its similar noise but not really..
Old 02-05-03 | 12:37 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

Default sc400.

the carstereo help.com opinion is there own and not true. the nak system amps are mostly still working 10 years later. every amp i have heard going bad was from water getting in the trunk either by plugged drainage system or by bad trunk lip molding. ........................................................................................................................................................the reason the stereo shop thinks they are "crap" is because only water damged amps are sent to them and repairing would be expensive for a 2300.00 amp. also new parts are no longer available from nakamichi which no longer does busisness with lexus. that same outfit carstereohelp.com repairs bose amp/ speakers which are inferior compared to nakamichi by anyones estimation. so you have to question their opinion since they make lots repairing bose systems which need a lot of repairing. there is no money in fixing nak amps so they can make disparaging remarks. they are making big business repairing bose system stuff , 93 up infiniti for example, none of which are working 10 years later. so they have a huge business going repairing bose stuff.. the nak head units are still going strong.they dont need repair.the bose system systems are just gm quality........................................................................................................................... lexus 92 to 00 sc nakamichi audio system is the best oem systems ever installed. it wont rattle any windows but it excells in clarity and long lived functioning. lets see if any of todays malaysian made aftermarket stuff is still working in 10 years.
Old 02-28-03 | 11:55 PM
Lead Lap

That taping noise is definitely your Nak amp. Mine did the same thing before it went out. I got it repaired... then it went out again..hmmm actually the same day.. i gutted the factory stuff and started over.

BTW Nak amps are over $900 from the dealer with much less than impressive output
Old 03-01-03 | 12:13 PM
lexusaudio
Lead Lap

nak amps are 900.00 for a refurbished nak amp not a new one. there hasnt been any new ones since 1998 when production ended. they qwere 2300.00 when new. the 40 watts per speaker is the usual as most oem systems go. the output is not impresive but the clairity is impresive . high watts and loud rattly speakers are not always better than the clarity of the 92 to 98 sc nak system especially in the small enclosed space of a car.
Old 03-01-03 | 10:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Onehot, it sounds like the bump might have unsettled a ground wire on or near the amp. remove the trunk flooring and have a peek.
Old 03-01-03 | 10:57 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

I have checked it for corrosion..Nothing seem to be wrong with it...I even brushed it to see if any dirt got into it and that didnt seem to be the case. I dunno what to do anymore..I guess i have to just take the whole system apart to see whats up with it.
Old 03-02-03 | 02:35 AM
Lead Lap

One HoT SC400..... i had mine repaired once.. there is a component in the amp that has blown.. i wish i could remember what the part was called, anyway a replacement was ordered an installed but it just didn't hold up. I played the radio maybe 30mins then it went out. Took it back had it repaired again and it lasted even less. I didnt leave my car, i took the amp out and had it serviced.

lexusaudio..... The Nak system does sound good... very clear.... but not worth its weight. Think about it if you purchased an aftermarket amp for as you say $2300 what could you come up with... Sure more than 40x4 100x1....maybe even another head unit, a few tvs, dvd, playstation and change. Not only that but if you play your Nak system loud the Nak amp will cut out after about 45 mins of play from overheating. I have retained my Nak interior speakers but have gone with a Kenwood 12' sub and Kenwood KAC-959 5-Channel Amp, which totally outperforms the Nak Amp and has never gotten hot regardless of volume level and length of time. I once ran a Alpine V-12 5-Channel Amp but it would also overheat at high volumes over time.

One HoT SC400... good luck on getting the system squared. If you're faced with the need to buy another amp and you find a rare Nak amp floating around at a reasonable price go for it. Otherwise i suggest changing your head unit and getting another amp. Your current sub and interior speakers will be compatible.

Last edited by 007; 03-02-03 at 02:39 AM.